2014 Georgia: What If?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:09:38 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  2014 Georgia: What If?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 2014 Georgia: What If?  (Read 870 times)
JRP1994

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: May 14, 2014, 07:59:51 PM »

Just wondering/speculating....

How would the 2014 GA Senate race look if John Barrow was in Michelle Nunn's place? Would a Dem pickup be more or less likely?
Flake
Flo
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 08:26:15 PM »

More likely, he's a skilled campaigner who can run in an R+9 district and win, and he's a moderate who (as far as I know) is well-known throughout the state and seen as a Representative, not a politician.
moderatevoter
ModerateVAVoter

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 09:00:50 PM »

I actually think Barrow would have been a stronger candidate than Nunn.
free my dawg
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:07 PM »

Toss-up with Perdue, at the very least Tilts D with anyone else.
old timey villain
cope1989

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2014, 09:09:18 PM »

Well, we'll never know for sure, but we can't really speculate until later in the campaign. It's still primary season and most people won't be paying attention until the fall.

Barrow has proven that he knows how to win over Republican voters, but he has a lengthy record in congress that would certainly be used against him, probably tying to him to Obama based on certain votes. On the other hand, Michelle Nunn is more of a clean slate and Georgians seem to be pretty sick of entrenched politicians on both sides, but she is completely untested and we have no idea how she'll perform under the bright lights of a campaign.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2014, 09:24:05 PM »

This should be in the Senate forum, not gubernatorial. Tongue

Anyway, I think we're better off with Nunn. Barrow is a great campaigner and would do well in his district, but I don't think that would necessarily translate statewide after millions in Koch funded ads tarred him as a "Pelosi liberal" before his campaign could even get off the ground.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2014, 02:58:24 AM »

Anyway, I think we're better off with Nunn. Barrow is a great campaigner and would do well in his district, but I don't think that would necessarily translate statewide after millions in Koch funded ads tarred him as a "Pelosi liberal" before his campaign could even get off the ground.

The only thing is that they're going to say that/do that to literally every candidate. Zell Miller could run for Senate again at this point and they'd refer to him as "Pelosi's special lapdog".

With that being said - I think Barrow's fundraising ability would be on par with Nunn's, and his performance would be augmented by the fact that he's represented more than 1.1 million Georgians at one point or another:

He tends to do anywhere from 10-15 points better in his races than virtually any other Democrat; I could see Barrow automatically starting out with 10-20k more votes than Nunn just from the area above.
TX Conservative Dem
United States

« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2014, 07:26:50 AM »

GA Dems better off with Nunn, fresh new face.

IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2014, 10:52:11 AM »

The only thing is that they're going to say that/do that to literally every candidate. Zell Miller could run for Senate again at this point and they'd refer to him as "Pelosi's special lapdog".

Yeah, I agree. But it will be harder to do with Nunn since she's a blank slate, and never voted for Pelosi to be speaker.
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2014, 10:59:19 AM »

Toss-up with Perdue, at the very least Tilts D with anyone else.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies