Democratic Vice-Presidential possibilities
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 04:51:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Democratic Vice-Presidential possibilities
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Poll
Question: If Russ Feingold were the Democratic presidential nominee, which candidate would you pick to be his running-mate?
Gov. Mark Warner (VA)

Gov. Bill Richardson (NM)

Gov. Janet Napolitano (AZ)

Sen. Joe Biden (MI)

other -your own choice

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 25

Author Topic: Democratic Vice-Presidential possibilities  (Read 4850 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2005, 02:58:54 AM »
« edited: March 31, 2005, 03:20:01 AM by Frodo »

for everyone, but especially Democrats:

if Sen. Russ Feingold (WI) were the Democratic presidential nominee, which vice-presidential candidate would you personally prefer to run with him?
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 03:02:48 AM »

Well I wouldn't give Feingold advice for winning for obvious reasons (so I didn't vote)  Smiley  but his to give him his best shot at winning, I'm guessing Richardson would be the best choice. Flip NM, NV and make CO competitive.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 03:08:55 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2005, 03:12:47 AM by Frodo »

Well I wouldn't give Feingold advice for winning for obvious reasons (so I didn't vote)  Smiley  but his to give him his best shot at winning, I'm guessing Richardson would be the best choice. Flip NM, NV and make CO competitive.

why not Napolitano -provided she wins re-election in Arizona by a substantial margin in her re-election bid next year?  it looks increasingly likely that she is going to win re-election with the general dearth of worthwhile Republican challengers.  she could make Arizona at least close, providing Russ Feingold with as much of an opportunity as Bill Richardson to carry the desert Southwest swing states of New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada. 

for the record, i still haven't voted in my own poll.  i am still undecided given all the candidates i have provided are such damn good choices (particularly the top three).
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 03:11:27 AM »

why not Napolitano -provided she wins re-election in Arizona by a substantial margin in her re-election bid next year?  it looks increasingly likely that she is going to win re-election with the general dearth of worthwhile Republican challengers.  she could make Arizona at least close, providing Russ Feingold with as much of an opportunity as Bill Richardson to carry the desert Southwest swing states of New Mexico, Colorado, and Nevada. 

for the record, i still haven't voted in my own poll.  i am still undecided given all the candidates i have provided are such damn good choices (particularly the top three). 

Feingold would probably go for Richardson over Napolitano because of his experience (though I do hear that he has some baggage). I guess it would depend on how well she does in 2006 and if some bad stuff about Richardson comes out for her to be considered over him.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 03:14:51 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2005, 03:21:09 AM by jfern »

Warner:
Pros: Seems like a pretty reasonable guy who does well in rural Virginia
Con: Might not help so much in any states. Virginia and West Virginia might not be enough of swing states, and Florida and PA might be too far. Not that well known yet.

Richardson:
Pros: Regional advantage could deliver definitely NM, likely NV, and possibly CO. A Jewish/Hispanic ticket might do well in FL.
Cons: Most of the important swing states aren't in the Southwest. He was energy secretary during some irrelevant scandal long ago.

Napolitano:
Pros: Might help in NV or NM. Being a woman might help.
Cons: Not near many other swing states. Comparisons to Mondale
I don't know much about her

Biden:
Pro: Adds foreign policiy to the ticket
Cons: Plaijarism, unclear if he'd help in any swing states, and his combination of being a hawk, being for that bankruptcy bill, and saying the word "I" too much might turn people off, 2 Senators.
Yeah that's a lot of cons.  BTW, he's from Deleware, home of the credit card companies. He's definitely not a populist.

Bayh:
Pro: Would help in OH, PA. If Feingold won both of those he'd most likely win the Presidency.
Con: 2 Senators

Recommendation: If foreign policy is mportant, consider Kerry or Clark and not Biden. The others seem to be ok.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2005, 08:06:42 AM »

I'd never vote for Feingold, but Richardson would help the most.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2005, 09:31:13 AM »

Senator Ken Salazar (CO)
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2005, 09:35:57 AM »

Why not?
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2005, 09:48:18 AM »

Why don't we put Feingold up for VP and run a Governor?
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2005, 09:52:04 AM »

Warner/Feingold.  You heard it hear first.  I predicted that ticket a couple months ago in the "2008 Predictions just for the hell of it" thread.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2005, 10:09:57 AM »

Warner/Feingold.  You heard it hear first.  I predicted that ticket a couple months ago in the "2008 Predictions just for the hell of it" thread.

Warner isn't a good candidate, he'll only have four years of government (I don't think he was in Government before he got elected) under his belt. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee would be a much better choice. Maybe Tom Vilsack. *Waits for PBrunsel to rant at me about how bad of a Governor he was*

And I still think Al Gore is a much better candidate than we give him credit for. He'd do better than Kerry, especially in the South, (Gore was within 5% in MO, AS, TN, and FL. Kerry wasn't within 5% in ANY of those states). He wouldn't have the resources Clinton would have, and yes he was a Senator, but he's more moderate than John Edwards. He could win the primaries because the liberal base likes him, but his policies aren't that liberal, he is from Tennessee. This is partially void if Donna Brazile doesn't return as his campaign manager.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: March 31, 2005, 10:16:03 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2005, 11:38:21 AM by nickshepDEM »

Warner isn't a good candidate, he'll only have four years of government (I don't think he was in Government before he got elected) under his belt. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee would be a much better choice. Maybe Tom Vilsack. *Waits for PBrunsel to rant at me about how bad of a Governor he was*

Warner isnt a good candidate?  Your right.  Hes a great candidate.  The only problem he has is he is not allowed to seek re-election.  If he were allowed to seek re-election he would win in a decisive victory.  Besides being a successful governor he was an accomplished business man and former chairman of the Virginia Democratic Party.

Here is my comment from another thread.  You should really read up on Mark Warner.

"I dont personally know the guy so I can only judge based upon what I have read and heard about him...

Obviously, I like the fact that he has a proven ability to win in a state that most Democrats would struggle in.  I think Mark Warner is a very telegenic man and comes across as very honest and sincere.

I was impressed by his "Why I am Democrat speech"
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2004/11/8/03116/3996

I was also impressed by his State of the Common Wealth address...
http://www.draftmarkwarner.com/StateoftheCommonwealth05

Mark Warner is more inline with my social views than most democrats.

-Supports the death penalty.
-Supports the second amendment.
-Tough on crime.
-Wont be a UN whore like most democrats.
-Supports welfare reform.

On Economic issues he is a little too center and pro-big business for my taste, but I can deal with that.

Here are some of his achievements I was impressed by...

-"Navigated Virginia through a $6 billion revenue shortfall, and making choices and investments in education from pre-school to graduate school to create a Commonwealth of opportunity for all."
-"Education for a Lifetime." The pre-school through grad school and beyond into workforce training measures are designed to move students another rung up the ladder of educational achievement, demonstrating the linkage between degrees and other markers of academic achievement and economic prosperity. The Governor also committed to fully funding the $525 million needed to re-benchmark the Standards of Quality for K-12 education, as established by the State Board of Education."
-"Governor Warner has also brought common sense business principles to the way the state purchases goods and services, manages its vehicle fleet and real estate holdings, and maintains information technology functions, with an appropriate emphasis on including those who own small, women- and minority-owned businesses."
-"Governor Warner is working hard to build a foundation to bring economic prosperity to all corners of Virginia. Economic development and job creation are top priorities for Governor Warner. Since January 2002, during difficult economic times, he has helped recruit more than 100,000 jobs and $9.5 billion in new investment in every region of Virginia."
-"He helped found the Virginia Health Care Foundation, which has provided health care to more than 476,000 underserved Virginians in rural and urban areas."
-" In 1997, he developed the Virginia High-Tech Partnership, which helps students from Virginia's five Historically Black Colleges and Universities pursue technology careers through a summer internship and job placement program."
-"Provided the largest increase in education funding in Virginia history."
-"Increased the personal income tax exemption and standard deduction enabling 140,000 to no longer have to file any state income tax, and will cut the food tax from 4% to 2.5 %
in July, 2005."

Read more about your wonderful governor here:  http://www.governor.virginia.gov/Governor/GovBioHome.html
http://www.draftmarkwarner.com/Warner2008.pdf"
skybridge
« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2005, 10:18:40 AM »

Sigh...

not Warner, please!
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2005, 10:19:32 AM »

Why, leme guess. Feingold?
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2005, 10:19:51 AM »

Nick, that's the same ticket I was thinking. Or possibly Warner/Richardson.

The only thing with Feingold is that it's hard to picture him as vice-president, since he's someone who is outspoken and can make things happen. VP's are generally relegated to the president's position, and it might be hard for him to take a backseat.  But I agree that Warner/Feingold could be a great ticket that could appeal to the majority of the country.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2005, 10:22:10 AM »
« Edited: March 31, 2005, 10:28:45 AM by nickshepDEM »

I like Feingold at the bottom of the ticket because he will really motivate the base in Howard Dean type fashion.  At the top of the ticket his voting record would be exploited and beat like a redheaded stepchild.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2005, 10:24:48 AM »

Warner isn't a good candidate, he'll only have four years of government (I don't think he was in Government before he got elected) under his belt. Phil Bredesen of Tennessee would be a much better choice. 

Phil Bredesen is not the type of candidate we should be running. He's Republican-lite. He would be in bed with the HMO's and do nothing to help health care in this country. Whoever the Democratic candidate is, they should be pushing for universal, single-payer health care.

Warner having only 4 years as governor won't hurt him. He has a done a great job in Virginia and not having a ton of experience gives the GOP less to attack. His problem will be keeping his name out there after he leaves the governor's office.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2005, 10:26:29 AM »

I like Feingold at the bottom of the ticket because he will really motivate the base in Howard Dean type fasion.  At the top of the ticket his voting record would be exploited and beat like a redheaded stepchild.

I agree with you for the most part.

It would just to tough to lose his voice in the Senate and have him relegated to a position that holds little true authority.
skybridge
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2005, 11:16:59 AM »

Not necessarily, I think Feingold would make a good president. But I can't say the same thing about Warner, so I don't want him on the ticket. I liked it more when you guys put your faith in Bayh than in him.
Akno21
Junior Chimp
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2005, 01:26:33 PM »

Nick, I'm certainly open to a Warner candidacy, I'd support him over most other candidates, especially non-Gubernatorial candidates. It depends how the War on Terror goes. If national security is as big an issue in 2008 as it was in 2004, I worry about a one-term governor. He seems like the right mix of centrism and liberalism though, more liberal than Bredesen, but not as liberal as Kerry.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #20 on: March 31, 2005, 01:41:13 PM »

hpefully whoever the nominee is will put a little thought and creativity into his/her vp pick.  kerry just went with conventional wisdom.

what about someone like tom carper from delaware?
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #21 on: March 31, 2005, 02:29:15 PM »

Kerry let the Party determine his Veep... he disliked Edwards (particularly at that time). That was an error, I'm sure one he regrets often.
ian

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: -1.39

« Reply #22 on: March 31, 2005, 03:06:00 PM »

I voted Warner, but that's only because I misunderstood the question.  I thought it asked "who WOULD Feingold pick?"  Logically, Warner would be a good choice b/c he's a southerner.  Might pick up VA.
Out of those options... really bad options... Biden, I guess???  (But he's not from MI, like the () after his name says) Wink
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: March 31, 2005, 05:27:09 PM »

Feingold as the Presidential nominee would really help turn out the base. He could get away with picking a much more conservative running mate. The other way around wouldn't work so well.  Also, Feingold ran 7 or 8 points better than Kerry in this last election.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 31, 2005, 05:29:56 PM »

hpefully whoever the nominee is will put a little thought and creativity into his/her vp pick.  kerry just went with conventional wisdom.

what about someone like tom carper from delaware?

Someone like that is only worth it if they help in some swing states. He voted for the war and the bankruptcy bill.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies