If Wal-Mart was unionized...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 02:11:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  If Wal-Mart was unionized...
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: If Wal-Mart was unionized...  (Read 5916 times)
danwxman

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: March 31, 2005, 03:17:44 PM »

would prices really go up? Wouldn't they keep prices low to compete with other stores?
phk
phknrocket1k
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2005, 04:01:03 PM »

No they'd just hire illegal immigrants.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2005, 04:01:57 PM »

It depends on how unionization affects their labor costs.

Assuming that they are at least attempting to treat their workers decently in order to avoid them being attracted to a union, unionization may not have a large impact on labor costs in the short run, at least.

But companies like WalMart run on thin margins and depend on large volume in order to make money.  They could therefore be forced to increase prices.  If their competitors have lower labor costs than they do, it could put them out of business.  That has happened to a number of companies.
WalterMitty
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 1.68, S: -2.26

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2005, 04:38:00 PM »

if wal mart was unionized, i would not continue to shop there.  i dont support criminal enterprises.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2005, 09:38:06 PM »

if wal mart was unionized, i would not continue to shop there.  i dont support criminal enterprises.

But don't you like the state that hosts the Kennedy Crime Family? Wink
Richard
Richius
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 8.40, S: 2.80

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2005, 12:48:22 AM »

would prices really go up? Wouldn't they keep prices low to compete with other stores?
They can't keep prices low and pay $25 an hour wages + benefits + time off + encourage people to be lazy.
senatortombstone
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2005, 01:11:36 AM »

I've worked for outfits like Target and other major grocery chains.  The average employee working for such a place cannot maintain a decent standard of living even at full time hours.  When I worked for Target, which is not union, they did offer health benefits, but when I was only making $7.50 an hour and they weren't absorbing much of the premiums, it was a bad deal.  But then again I worked at Target as a second-job, not my main one.

When I worked for major grocery store chains I was forced into unions and I got nothing out of my weekly dues, nothing. I was given no health benefits and my wages were terrible.  For such small-time jobs like the ones most people have at Target, Wal-Mart and other grocery stores, it isn't worth it.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2005, 08:14:45 AM »

I've always advocated a $15/hour minimum wage for places like Walmart - though a $25-35/hour wage would be necesary to for example rear a family.  I think of Walmart were forced to pay $15/hour and provide decent treatment and benefits for its workers, the increase in prices would be very minor.  In fairness I think a legally mandated minumum wage that would cover all employers is somewhat more competitively 'fair' than if for example Walmart were  unionized and say KMart were not.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2005, 08:47:48 AM »

I've always advocated a $15/hour minimum wage for places like Walmart - though a $25-35/hour wage would be necesary to for example rear a family.  I think of Walmart were forced to pay $15/hour and provide decent treatment and benefits for its workers, the increase in prices would be very minor.  In fairness I think a legally mandated minumum wage that would cover all employers is somewhat more competitively 'fair' than if for example Walmart were  unionized and say KMart were not.

You really want to collapse our economy, don't you?
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2005, 09:08:17 AM »

Explain why it would 'collapse', won't you?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2005, 09:13:20 AM »

I've explained it a million times. You never understand. Tell you what - go start a small business, something like a retail store or a fast food joint, and pay your workers $15/hr, then tell me it's a good idea.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2005, 09:19:58 AM »

I've explained it a million times. You never understand. Tell you what - go start a small business, something like a retail store or a fast food joint, and pay your workers $15/hr, then tell me it's a good idea.

Well obviously as an employer, I would prefer they work for as little as possible - in fact free would be best of all.  By the same token even though it would be in my interest I cannot imagine how they could survive on less than $15/hour, and I would anticipate the miseries of that kind of life would drive them to sabotage their employer by damaging products or spitting in the food. 
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2005, 09:21:31 AM »

Well obviously as an employer, I would prefer they work for as little as possible - in fact free would be best of all.  By the same token even though it would be in my interest I cannot imagine how they could survive on less than $15/hour, and I would anticipate the miseries of that kind of life would drive them to sabotage their employer by damaging products or spitting in the food. 

The point is to actually see if you could successfully keep a small retail/food business running with that kind of wage.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2005, 09:22:56 AM »

The point is to actually see if you could successfully keep a small retail/food business running with that kind of wage.

Obviously I could if it were the legal minimum, as all my competitors woudl be paying the same wage.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2005, 09:23:58 AM »

Obviously I could if it were the legal minimum, as all my competitors woudl be paying the same wage.

Obviously you still don't understand how such a minimum would affect the economy.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2005, 09:29:21 AM »

Obviously you still don't understand how such a minimum would affect the economy.

It would be hard to know precisely what the outcome would be in detail.  However it seems to me an obvious political imperative that we give it a try.  Or rather would be if people voted in their economic interests.

John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2005, 09:30:50 AM »

http://business.baylor.edu/Charles_North/LivingWageSlides.ppt
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2005, 09:37:30 AM »

Why should an increase in unemployment concern us if a) we provide generous welfare to those laid off, paid for by taxing the owners, and b) the jobs lost were miserable starvation level jobs anyway?
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2005, 01:43:52 PM »

Why should an increase in unemployment concern us if a) we provide generous welfare to those laid off, paid for by taxing the owners, and b) the jobs lost were miserable starvation level jobs anyway?

a. would require higher taxes, which will be of further detriment to the economy
b. you don't know squat about jobs in the U.S. - and wouldn't those 'starvation' level jobs be covered by your supposed cure all living wage? The whole point is supposed to be bringing people out of poverty, not putting them back in.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #19 on: April 01, 2005, 02:49:17 PM »

a. would require higher taxes, which will be of further detriment to the economy
b. you don't know squat about jobs in the U.S. - and wouldn't those 'starvation' level jobs be covered by your supposed cure all living wage? The whole point is supposed to be bringing people out of poverty, not putting them back in.

They wouldn't be in poverty - the New Welfare would provide well above the poverty level.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2005, 02:50:48 PM »

They wouldn't be in poverty - the New Welfare would provide well above the poverty level.

It's clear you don't value the idea of people earning their own way in life.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2005, 02:55:42 PM »

My family survived for 3 years, albeit uneasily, on just $7 per hour.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2005, 02:58:00 PM »

No.  Not at $6 an hour.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2005, 02:59:32 PM »

My family survived for 3 years, albeit uneasily, on just $7 per hour.

I would love to know more about this.  Just one wage earner?   40 hours per week?  How many in your family?  And just how did you manage this feat?  A tent? Dumpsters?  Please, I am curious.
John Dibble
Atlas Icon
Japan

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2005, 03:14:57 PM »

No.  Not at $6 an hour.

I believe this belongs to you.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies