Paul Simon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:34:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Paul Simon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: What's your favorite?
(1965) The Paul Simon Songbook

(1966) The Sounds of Silence

(1966) Parsley, Sage, Rosemary, and Thyme

(1968) Bookends

(1970) Bridge Over Troubled Water

(1972) Paul Simon

(1973) There Goes Rhymin' Simon

(1975) Still Crazy After All These Years

(1983) Hearts And Bones

(1986) Graceland

(1990) The Rhythm Of The Saints

(2000) You're The One

(2006) Surprise

(2010) So Beautiful Or So What

Other (see below)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 16

Author Topic: Paul Simon  (Read 369 times)
traininthedistance
YaBB God

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:28:26 AM »

Little late to the party, but whatever.

Yeah, I'm including Simon & Garfunkel's albums here as well.  Artie was a fine backup singer but he wasn't the star of the show.  However, I'm cutting off Wednesday Morning, 3 AM; One Trick Pony; and Songs From The Capeman because my god why would anyone pick any of those (i.e. cover-heavy juvenalia or soundtracks that flopped) as their favorite?  Well, feel free to vote Other and yell at me if I'm wrong about that.

I'll add my opinions in another post.
Reaganfan
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 01:39:02 AM »

Graceland for sure.

In July 1993, we took a family vacation to the Outer Banks of NC. We drove down in my mom's 1980s blue Poniac and the Graceland tape got stuck in the cassette player. Every song from "You Can Call Me Al" to "The Boy in the Bubble" replayed over and over. Those songs remind me of that vacation.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 01:50:30 AM »

I love Simon and Garfunkel. Right now I'd say Bridge Over Troubled Water is my favourite of their albums. It's a tough call though... there are a lot of great songs.
Oldiesfreak1854
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 12:48:16 PM »

Probably Bookends, but Simon & Garfunkel's Greatest Hits is one of my all-time favorite albums.  I have a copy on vinyl that I'm looking forward to listening to some time.

There Goes Rhymin' Simon is a good album too.  I love "Kodachrome" and "Loves Me Like a Rock."
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 03:21:43 PM »

Bookends, though I love all of Simon and Garfunkel's albums.

Yeah, I'm including Simon & Garfunkel's albums here as well.  Artie was a fine backup singer but he wasn't the star of the show.  However, I'm cutting off Wednesday Morning, 3 AM; One Trick Pony; and Songs From The Capeman because my god why would anyone pick any of those (i.e. cover-heavy juvenalia or soundtracks that flopped) as their favorite?  Well, feel free to vote Other and yell at me if I'm wrong about that.

While Simon carried a vast majority of the credit for their success, don't dismiss Art. After all, he sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water" in a way Paul Simon never could have dreamed of. It was incredible.

Everytime I hear "Homeward Bound" I think of my very first day working on the campaign in 2012. I was filling out petitions and the scheduler asked me what I liked to listen too, and I mentioned Folk and sure enough "The Concert in Central Park" was in her DVD collection.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
« Edited: June 18, 2014, 02:47:38 PM by traininthedistance »

Bookends, though I love all of Simon and Garfunkel's albums.

Yeah, I'm including Simon & Garfunkel's albums here as well.  Artie was a fine backup singer but he wasn't the star of the show.  However, I'm cutting off Wednesday Morning, 3 AM; One Trick Pony; and Songs From The Capeman because my god why would anyone pick any of those (i.e. cover-heavy juvenalia or soundtracks that flopped) as their favorite?  Well, feel free to vote Other and yell at me if I'm wrong about that.

While Simon carried a vast majority of the credit for their success, don't dismiss Art. After all, he sang "Bridge Over Troubled Water" in a way Paul Simon never could have dreamed of. It was incredible.

Everytime I hear "Homeward Bound" I think of my very first day working on the campaign in 2012. I was filling out petitions and the scheduler asked me what I liked to listen too, and I mentioned Folk and sure enough "The Concert in Central Park" was in her DVD collection.

I was kinda trolling with that, of course.  But I actually do prefer Simon's solo work- his sound got more diverse and adventurous, and I also think his lyrics (which are of course his greatest gift) improved with maturity and middle age, at least up through his '80s work.

Anyway... I was the vote for Hearts and Bones, of course.  It was the biggest flop of his career- everyone was expecting a big S&G reunion after that Central Park concert, and in fact H&B started out as one.  But the material was just too personal, it didn't work as a duo, everyone was disappointed, and nobody remembers it anymore.  If it's brought up at all, it's in the context of "he needed to change his sound and reinvent himself with Graceland".  But I actually think it's the strongest, most personally affecting songwriting of his career.  If there was any justice in the world, it would instead be considered his Blood On The Tracks (fitting given that both are divorce albums, by the way).  "Think Too Much (a)" was a dud, but everything else is just perfect- the title track, "Think Too Much (b)", "Song About The Moon", the John Lennon tribute (featuring a Philip Glass coda!) "The Late Great Johnny Ace", "Allergies", and... well, the song I get my screen name from here.  

Anyway that was an embarrasing bit of fanboyism but it's all 100 percent true.

This is not to knock Graceland, of course- that's a fine album too and probably his second-best.  And the follow-up Rhythm of the Saints is criminally underrated.

The eponymous first solo album is one of my favorites, as well, and surprisingly I actually think So Beautiful or So What is in the top half as well.  You're The One and Surprise were both huge disappointments and the two albums of his I'd actually call bad (one or two good cuts amongst unlistenable filler, bah!), so the fact his most recent effort was a genuine return to form, rather than just hyped as such, was a minor miracle.  

As for S&G, I've always liked Bookends best though PSR&T grows on me with time.  Bridge over Troubled Water has some great cuts (actually not so much the title track, more the three song stretch of "Keep The Customer Satisfied", "So Long Frank Lloyd Wright", and "The Boxer"), but I find it just uneven and commercial enough to call it the one overrated thing he's ever done, and Sounds of Silence is of course great but probably needed a little more care in the studio- it was a rush job to release and some of the seams show.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 11:28:03 PM »

I love Scarborough Fair. Don't care what anyone says.
traininthedistance
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2014, 02:45:12 PM »

It's a great song.  Many other artists, it would be their highlight.

Worth noting- and you might already know this of course- that it's actually a mashup of an old folk tune (the "Scarborough Fair" part) and the most nakedly anti-Vietnam War song Paul ever wrote (the "Canticle" part, which is actually on The Paul Simon Songbook by itself as "The Side Of A Hill").  I don't really think either tune is that amazing by itself, but combining them was certainly an inspired move.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2014, 06:34:16 PM »

Who doesn't love that song? One of my favorites, though the bell sound reminds me of my computers anti-virus software telling me it has blocked something and always startles me a bit Tongue.
HagridOfTheDeep
Junior Chimp
Canada

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 18, 2014, 09:00:51 PM »

So many of the people I've played it for tell me it's cheesy and too mystical-sounding. I guess I'm used to be defensive about it. Tongue
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies