Which states woud become Libertarian? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 02:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Which states woud become Libertarian? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Which states woud become Libertarian?  (Read 6367 times)
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:32:09 PM »

Not very many, if anything it will be a weak third party like Perot 1992, only having the possibility of winning a few states like NH, WY, AK, CO, AZ, etc. To be honest the L party is too extreme to have real political power.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 07:17:58 PM »

Not very many, if anything it will be a weak third party like Perot 1992, only having the possibility of winning a few states like NH, WY, AK, CO, AZ, etc. To be honest the L party is too extreme to have real political power.

So you're saying it should become a philosophy, a faction of one of the parties, like Rand Paul is doing, instead of being their own party?

Oh no, I'm not saying it shouldn't be a powerful party, if I got what I wanted I would like it to become the dominant party in American politics. I'm just being realistic in that most people aren't libertarians, and most people don't hold positions like getting rid of the income tax, or the  fed, or the IRS, etc. (I do). It would likely be a influential third party at best, under our FPTP (first past the post) system. We would need proportional representation for the libertarian party to have real power.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2014, 08:43:02 PM »

If this happened it might actually be the death knell for the Republicans. I can't see democrats losing in this scenario.

Libertarian vote isn't republican leaning, like you seem to assume. Most polling in races suggests that libertarians actually gather equal support for both the D and R if he/she wasn't in the race.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies