Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 06:48:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game (Sign Up - Rules Thread)  (Read 9959 times)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 16, 2014, 12:34:13 PM »
« edited: June 16, 2014, 02:52:16 PM by Senator Lumine »

Clash of Kings, an ASOIAF Game:

Context:

It’s the end of the year of 298 since Aegon’s Landing in Westeros, and less than twenty years after Robert Baratheon’s rebellion against Aerys Targaryen the realm finds itself divided and threatened by civil war. With the failure of Eddard Stark’s coup against the Lannisters and the open warfare between Robb Stark and Tywin Lannister across the Riverlands (which resulted in several battles near Riverrun and the capture of Lord Commander Jaime Lannister by the Stark forces), the chances of avoiding full-scale war across Westeros were slim. With the incest accusation that was launched against King Joffrey and the resulting execution of Lord Stark, war was here to stay. The Stark and Tully bannermen declared Robb Stark the “King in the North”, Stannis and Renly Baratheon declared their own bids to the Iron Throne in Dragonstone and Storm’s End, and Lord Balon Greyjoy was crowned before the sight of the Drowned God as the Iron King (I have altered the chronology here to make the Five Kings declare at the same time). And, in Essos, recently widowed Queen Daenerys Targaryen leads the remnants of her Khalasar, her dragons and her supporters to the city of Qarth, where she will attempt to find a way to press her claim to the throne.

This game will begin after Lord Eddard Stark’s execution and the declaration of independence of Robb Stark and Balon Greyjoy and the claims of Renly and Stannis Baratheon. With no clear favorite to win the war, Westeros will bleed before there is only one King in the Iron Throne.

Overview:

A Clash of Kings” is a strategy game based on “A Song of Ice and Fire” by George R. R. Martin (and the subsequent series: “Game of Thrones”), which portrays the start of the War of the Five Kings presented in the end of “A Game of Thrones” and the first season of the series. This particular game is based on the game “Five Kings, Seven Kingdoms” of the forums of Paradox, by user Plank of Wood. Sharing some similarities with my other game, “Balance of Power”, you will lead your armies and backstab each other again and again until one side wins this mega war across Westeros and Essos. Of course, you are expected to roleplay following the traits of your chosen characters (which means that I reserve the right to overrule moves that are too out of character, but you can certainly make different moves than OTL), and you will be able to choose between the Kings and the key Lords Paramount of the realm: Kings Robb Stark, Stannis Baratheon, Renly Baratheon and Balon Greyjoy, Queen Daenerys Targaryen, Lord Tywin Lannister, Lady Lysa Arryn, Lord Mace Tyrell, Prince Doran Martell and either Queen Regent Cersei Lannister or Lord Tyrion Lannister in representation of King Joffrey until he comes of age. A maximum of ten players, and since this is not of demanding of time as my other game is I certainly hope to run this as efficiently as possible. I am trying to follow a mixture of book cannon and show cannon (as at this point there are only minor divergences), but most details will be extracted from the book, so please use this as a source of information: http://awoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/Main_Page (if you don’t want spoilers for further seasons or books, don’t doubt to ask me for information). Oh, and before I forget, no spoilers on the game or sign up thread! (seriously, I will expulse you out of the game if you do)

Basic Rules and Guidelines:

Your role in this game will be similar for all players, but will also depend on your position as a Lord or a King/Queen. Some must conquer the Iron Throne, some must fight for independence, some for the prosperity of their lands. You can pass laws and rule over your lands, appoint your military commanders and give orders to your armies, trade and search for income, send emissaries (public and or via PM), hire sellswords, pass sentence, and solve some issues I have prepared for you as time goes on. You will have to balance the wishes of your vassals carefully, as mistreating them could lead to rebellions or to your own death.

-Turns will last three months in-game, and should last about a week (give or take a few days).

-You are encouraged to make public announcements and public discussion in the game thread, and you must sent your military disposition and moves by PM.

-You may design plots, which must be sent via PM along with the co-conspirators. Depending on the character, his assets and a roll dice, these may work with varying success or be discovered. If your plot is discovered, you will lose prestige and you won’t be able to plot for the next two turns.

-In order to enhance the political simulation, all Kings are required to have a Hand of the King. A Small Council and a Kingsguard, however, are only mandatory to the ruler in King’s Landing. All players will have stats that will cover their legitimacy, their prestige (which has consequences in negotiations with NPC’s) and their money (we will use gold dragons instead of stags).

-We will always start with an update phase, then with the result of the immediate plots or military campaigns and then an end to the turn in which I will comment on what happened.

-Some of the players will be able to use their "special ability" or those of their allies, something that in the beginning is limited to Stannis (Melisandre can use fire magic and up to two shadow babies in short range), Robb (Greywind) and Daenerys (Drogon, Viserion and Rhaegal).

-Unlike Balance of Power, I will use a dice to determine most of the events, meaning plots, battles and negotiation with characters that are not playable. I have to refine the system to see how it works, but for plots is 1 for failure and 6 for success (with additional numbers depending on the risks, plot power and such), for negotiation is the same and for battles we will use a tactical roll and a casualty roll (just like in the original game). In the tactical roll, the winner is the side with the larger number, and the difference between the numbers will dictate how significant the victory is. If one player gets 10 and the other 9, it’s not a significant victory, but a 10 v. 2 is, etc. The number of dice is defaulted at two, and for each "asset" a side has, a dice is added. The casualty roll is a simple roll for each side. The higher the number, the higher the amount of men lost, which I may adapt if it doesn’t make sense with the context and the tactical results. All of these rolls will be posted in a spoiler at the end of each update, and if there are issues the rules can be subject to change. I'll try to keep the process as transparent as possible.

Final Notes:

- If you have a problem with the IC behavior of another player then PM me personally.
- The GM reserves the right to overrule any player action.
- No other player may declare himself a King (unless I approve).
- Spoilers on events past Season 2/Clash of Kings is an instant ban from the game. ESPECIALLY THAT EVENT.
- While being busy in other things may mean that this game could suffer a couple of delays, I'm more than happy to try and see if it works, and I certainly hope it does!
- Please keep the fun of other players in mind!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2014, 12:35:21 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2014, 07:34:27 PM by Senator Lumine »

Characters:

Any character not claimed by a player will still be active as an NPC. As characters die and other replace them I will add new playable characters. Death means game over for the player.

Stannis Baratheon: (oakvale)

Renly Baratheon:

Robb Stark: (Antonio V)

Daenerys Targaryen: (Averroes Nix)

Balon Greyjoy: (SJoyce)

Tywin Lannister: (Mr. X)

Tyrion Lannister: (Dr. Cynic)

Lysa Arryn:

Mace Tyrell: (Spamage)

Doran Martell: (TheCranberry)

Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2014, 01:14:50 PM »

Omg, omg, omg !!!!!
I'm freaking out at the moment !!!!! Lumine you're great !!!!

I'd like to play Doran Martell, if it's ok.
(So I guess the gameplay will be similar to Balance of Power?)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2014, 01:23:33 PM »

Omg, omg, omg !!!!!

Similar, but I handle myself in the world of Westeros far better than in 1905, so I shouldn't make so many mistakes and delays with this one, xD

Welcome aboard, Prince Doran!
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2014, 01:23:50 PM »

I HAVE TO BE A PART OF THIS!!!!!!!!!!

I have a couple of questions though. Is this more a story based RP game where we'd write out the characters thoughts and motivations or a political game much like Balance of Power where we simply take decisions?

Either way, I'd like to play as Tyrion Lannister or Renly Baratheon.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2014, 01:24:42 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2014, 01:26:13 PM by Antonio V »

Could we have a slight briefing on the armies that each character commands and the diplomatic/power situation in which they place themselves? I know the basics from the show, but haven't read the book, and can't look at the wiki because it has spoilers everywhere.

I'd be fine playing any of Renly, Stannis, Tywin or Robb, but I can't decide which of them. Tongue
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2014, 01:26:20 PM »

I have a couple of questions though. Is this more a story based RP game where we'd write out the characters thoughts and motivations or a political game much like Balance of Power where we simply take decisions?

Either way, I'd like to play as Tyrion Lannister.

It's more like Balance of Power, but in this one you are also invited to roleplay and make statements or reenact scenes as well (something that I couldn't do with Balance of Power). And welcome, my Lord!

Could we have a slight briefing on the armies that each character commands and the diplomatic/power situation in which they place themselves? I know the basics from the show, but haven't read the book, and can't look at the wiki because it has spoilers everywhere.

Sure, I have the armies ready and I plan to write some summaries of each player and House. I'll post it here in a few minutes!
Cranberry
TheCranberry
YaBB God
Austria

« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2014, 01:28:21 PM »

Omg, omg, omg !!!!!

Similar, but I handle myself in the world of Westeros far better than in 1905, so I shouldn't make so many mistakes and delays with this one, xD

Welcome aboard, Prince Doran!

Even better that in 1905? That is nearly impossible.... Tongue
Thank you, Mother Rhoyne Tongue (The father isn't really worshipped in Dorne, am I right assuming that?, so you'll have to be their goddess Tongue)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2014, 01:28:47 PM »

Either way, I'd like to play as Tyrion Lannister or Renly Baratheon.

Wait, I just saw the change, xD. Tyrion or Renly?
Dr. Cynic
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.11, S: -6.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2014, 01:31:10 PM »

Tyrion
Oakvale
oakvale
Atlas Icon
Ukraine
Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -4.00

« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2014, 01:32:53 PM »

I will play as Stannis obviously (normal).
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2014, 01:33:31 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2014, 01:35:13 PM by Malcolm X »

I will play as Tywin (Roose Bolton isn't an option Sad Sad I figure Tywin is the closest thing Tongue ).  Anyway, regardless of how this goes, you are awesome for putting this together Lumine.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2014, 01:38:18 PM »

Noted!

I will play as Tywin (Roose Bolton isn't an option Sad Sad I figure Tywin is the closest thing Tongue ).  Anyway, regardless of how this goes, you are awesome for putting this together Lumine.

Thanks, I won't post spoilers, but Roose may very well be available at some point, xD
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2014, 01:42:04 PM »

I'll go with Robb then. At least he's good at winning battles.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: June 16, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »

Noted!

I will play as Tywin (Roose Bolton isn't an option Sad Sad I figure Tywin is the closest thing Tongue ).  Anyway, regardless of how this goes, you are awesome for putting this together Lumine.

Thanks, I won't post spoilers, but Roose may very well be available at some point, xD

Ah, well if that becomes the case later on, is there any way it'd be possible to switch?  If not, I'll probably wait until the point where that character becomes available, if that's alright.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2014, 01:49:30 PM »

Noted!

Ah, well if that becomes the case later on, is there any way it'd be possible to switch?  If not, I'll probably wait until the point where that character becomes available, if that's alright.

It's not really a safe bet as his prominence depends on Robb, so I encourage you to stick with Tywin. If Roose becomes available you can switch sides then!
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2014, 01:53:52 PM »

I'll go with Robb then. At least he's good at winning battles.

I welcome the King in the North!
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2014, 01:56:19 PM »

Noted!

It's not really a safe bet as his prominence depends on Robb, so I encourage you to stick with Tywin. If Roose becomes available you can switch sides then!

Sounds good!
Spamage
spamage
United States

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2014, 02:19:02 PM »

I'll be Mace Tyrell!

Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2014, 02:44:41 PM »
« Edited: June 16, 2014, 05:46:30 PM by Senator Lumine »

Armies and Diplomacy (Info)Sad

Lannister/Baratheon Alliance:

The current holders of the Iron Throne, these two houses currently control the Westerlands and the Crownlands (minus Dragonstone), plus King's Landing, the capital. They are leaded by young King Joffrey Baratheon, Tywin Lannister, Hand of the King, Tyrion Lannister, Acting Hand and Queen Regent Cersei Lannister. While the Crown itself is deeply in debt and unpopular in King's Landing, the Lannisters still field a sizable army and they have truly outreageous amounts of gold to pay to expenses, as long as Lord Tywin is willing to spend. Currently there are not many chances to get an alliance, unless they manage to bring Dorne and the Vale to their side.

Joffrey/Tyrion/Cersei:
Army of the Crownlands - 10,000 - KL
The Gold Cloaks - 6,000 – KL
Vale Mountain Clans – 300 - KL
Fleet of King's Landing - 50 – KL
(can only recruit men from King’s Landing)

Tywin:
Garrison of Gold Tooth - 3,000 - The Gold Tooth
Army of the Westerlands - 10,000 - Casterly Rock
Army of Lord Tywin - 22,000 - Harrenhal
Fleet of Lannisport - 60 – Lannisport
(can call a max. of 5.000 more men)

Baratheon/Tyrell Alliance:

Young, popular and ambitious, Renly Baratheon has crowned himself with the backing of the Stormlords and the support of Mace Tyrell in the Reach. Renly (married to Margaery Tyrell) can count on the biggest army and the second best economical situation of all the five kings, but he has some issues regarding his capability to produce heirs. Unlike Joffrey, Renly still has a chance to tend a bridge to the Starks and the Tullys, but he is probably going to have to fight Stannis.

Renly:
Army of the Stormlands - 20,000
Garrison of Storm's End - 5,000 - Storm's End
Fleet of Storm's End - 60 - Storm's End
(can call a max. of 5.000 more men)

Mace Tyrell:
Army of Highgarden - 40,000 - The Roseroad
Garrison of Highgarden – 10,000 - Highgarden
Fleet of the Reach - 40 - Highgarden (River)
Fleet of the Arbor - 200 – The Arbor
Hightower Fleet – 30 – Oldtown
Shield Islands Fleet – 30 – Shield Islands
(can call a max. of 30.000 more men)

House Baratheon of Dragonstone:

On paper Stannis Baratheon's situation looks terrible, as he only holds Dragonstone and a few Lords of the Narrow Sea (Bar Emmon, Sunglass, Seaworth, Celtigar and Velaryon), along with few troops. But he has a big and experienced fleet, a good number of efficient sellswords and the support of Melisandre, the red priestess, who is rumored to have magical abilities that could prove decisive in winning battles.

Stannis:
Army of Dragonstone - 6000 - Dragonstone
The Royal Fleet - 200 - Dragonstone
(cannot call more men, only sellswords)

The Kingdom of the North:

Robb Stark, the undefeated Young Wolf. Despite the Riverlands being on fire and sustaining heavy losses, Robb has won every battle so far and he is in a position to go after Lord Tywin in Harrenhall. We has a great chance of winning the support of the Vale (although Lysa Arryn has been silent), an he also has a chance to ally himself to Renly, Balon or Stannis as well. Sadly, Robb will have to depend on his army for now, calling more of his bannermen in the North might cause severe damage to the crops.

Robb:
Army of King Robb Stark - 19,000 - Riverrun
Fleet of White Harbor - 20 – White Harbor
Garrison of Winterfell – 1.000 – Winterfell
Garrison of Moat Cailin – 500 – Moat Cailin
(can call a max. of 20.000 more men)

Hoster Tully/Edmure Tully:
Army of the Riverlands - 13,000 - Riverrun
The River Fleet - 30 - Riverrun
Army of Blackfish - 2,000 - The Trident
(cannot call more men)

The Queen in Essos:

Daenerys Targaryen has been running from Robert Baratheon's vengeance since she was born, and she is now at the crossroads. Her brother and husband are dead, and she has led the remnants of her Khalasar and her dragons all the way to the city of Qarth, were she plans to get the help she needs to return to Westeros. Should she manage to return, she has a chance of getting the support of the Martells of Dorne and several minor Houses still loyal to the memory of the Targaryens (the Hightowers, Graftons, Conningtons and so forth).

Daenerys Targaryen:
Dragons - 3 - Qarth
Daenerys Khalasar – 200 (+Ser Jorah Mormont) – Qarth

The King in the Iron Islands:

Less than ten years after being shattered by Robert Baratheon's warhammer, the Kraken is back. Although the Greyjoys are despised by most of the Houses of Westeros, they do have the largest fleet in the realm, and they are ready to plunder and strike whenever Balon Greyjoy desires. It should be noted though, Prince Theon is still a ward of the Starks, and Balon's brothers have started to bicker among themselves...

Balon:
Army of the Iron Islands – 20,000 – Pyke
(4.000 men formally a part of the Iron Fleet)
The Iron Fleet - 100 - Pyke
Reaving Fleet – 500 - Pyke
(can call a max. of 10.000 more men)

The Prince of Dorne:

Prince Doran Martell may be sick with gout, but he is still in his intelectual prime. Dorne has not intervened in the affairs of the realm since the rebellion ended with the death of Elia and Lewyn Martell and Aegon and Rhaenys Targaryen, but they have not forgotten. So far, the Martells can still field an impressive army, but they are not expect to committ to any of the current kings. Some even suspect they are waiting for Daenerys, but that is just gossip as of now.

Doran Martell:
Army of Sunspear - 5,000 - Sunspear
Navy of Sunspear - 30 – Sunspear
(can call a max. of 20.000 more men)

The Knights of the Vale:

The Vale fought hard against the Mad King, but they have remained neutral so far thanks to Lady Arryn, who has refused any calls to intervene in the war. Thanks to the family links between Arryns, Tullys and Starks, many vassals of Lysa (like Yohn Royce, friend of Ned Stark) would prefer to intervene, but nobody knows what may happen here. Either way, the Vale has a mighty army and a powerful cavarly, so their forces may prove key in shifting the balance of power.

Lysa Arryn:
Army of the Vale - 5,000 - the Eyrie
Fleet of Gulltown - 35 – Gulltown
(can call a max. of 25.000 more men)
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »

Welcome, Lord Tyrell!

I just posted some basic info and diplomacy ideas plus the size of the armies. In the books it's hard to be sure as to what is the real strenght of the armies, so I have adapted them for the sake of order and gameplay. Lysa Arryn and Doran Martell's armies are set like that because they haven't called their banners yet.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2014, 02:58:19 PM »

Well, Lysa and Daenerys are not indispensable for now (although Daenerys will be very important soon), so the main players that I need are Renly and Balon, in which case we may very well start today or tomorrow.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #22 on: June 16, 2014, 05:54:06 PM »

I admit to being tempted, but I haven't read the books or seen the series, so I just know know too little to do this well.  Besides, I doubt I'd have the time for this.  The most I can reasonably do, is if there is anyone who wishes to quit Balance of Power so as to have time for this game, I'd be willing to take up their position in that game since I wouldn't have to read up on the history and thus would find playing a game set in 1905AD less time consuming than one set in 298AC.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #23 on: June 16, 2014, 06:37:25 PM »

I admit to being tempted, but I haven't read the books or seen the series, so I just know know too little to do this well.  Besides, I doubt I'd have the time for this.  The most I can reasonably do, is if there is anyone who wishes to quit Balance of Power so as to have time for this game, I'd be willing to take up their position in that game since I wouldn't have to read up on the history and thus would find playing a game set in 1905AD less time consuming than one set in 298AC.

I would have been great to have you playing, but yes, this one does require a good deal of knowledge on the series. I hope I'll get to see you in Balance of Power at some point!
Donerail
Atlas Icon
« Reply #24 on: June 16, 2014, 07:20:25 PM »

No man gives me a crown. I pay the iron price. I will take my crown.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies