Why is DC as Democrat as it is?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:21:13 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Why is DC as Democrat as it is?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Why is DC as Democrat as it is?  (Read 3331 times)
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 23, 2014, 11:32:06 PM »

Let me preface by saying that I am in 100% understanding of why the District is very Democratic. That said, Romney got ~7% within its borders in 2012. The big question in my head is simply why the defense industry doesn't boost that number a little higher, among other areas of the government that lean conservative like commerce and security. I know a lot of the defense portion of the area is in Virginia, but I just don't see why some of the more Republican members of our government are not able to push Republicans a little higher in District limits.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix
E: 4.65, S: 3.30

« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2014, 05:12:36 PM »

I would think that the 7% of the vote that Romney obtained was from defense workers. A sizeable amount of government workers live in NoVA or Southern Maryland. Based on personal observation, I would even say that the majority of government workers who work in the District live in VA/MD. It's also important to remember that most of the District's residents are African-American, so even if they do work in a traditionally Republican government occupation, they still might be inclined to vote Democratic.
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2014, 05:52:34 PM »

It's more obvious if you look at the results by ward for Obama.

Ward 1: 92% .... 33% black
Ward 2: 81% .... 10% black
Ward 3: 80% .... 6% black
Ward 4: 94% .... 59% black
Ward 5: 96% .... 77% black
Ward 6: 87% .... 43% black
Ward 7: 99% .... 95% black
Ward 8: 99% .... 94% black

That's pretty much it.  DC is a mix of rich white areas that vote like rich white central city areas in NYC or Boston, and black areas that vote like urban black areas.  And, yeah, black people in Anacostia don't work for defense contractors.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2014, 05:52:46 PM »

I believe DC has a very large black population. When was the last time a republican even came close in DC? Eisenhower?
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2014, 06:12:39 PM »

I believe DC has a very large black population. When was the last time a republican even came close in DC? Eisenhower?

DC has only had its electoral votes since 1961 and citizens were ineligible to participate in the presidential-vice presidential election process prior to that.  It has never voted for the Republican candidate for president since the 23rd Amendment was ratified.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 03:45:29 PM »

Working in DC =/= Living and Voting in DC

A lot of the defense industry employees and government workers in allegedly more "conservative" departments like defense do not live in DC proper, even if their job requires them to spend the workday there.

Conservatives tend to self-select out of the District, with the exception of some of the very wealthy lobbyists who like living in Georgetown. They like Virginia better (a lot of congressional Republicans will have their residence in Virginia). I was once making small talk at a party with a guy who lives in DC but works in Maryland at some government research lab. I asked how he'd decided what part of the capitol area to live in and if he'd ever considered NoVa, and given his reaction you'd think I'd just asked him if he'd like to live in Saudi Arabia.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2014, 03:54:14 PM »

DC has only had its electoral votes since 1961 and citizens were ineligible to participate in the presidential-vice presidential election process prior to that.  It has never voted for the Republican candidate for president since the 23rd Amendment was ratified.

Best result I can find was 21% for Nixon in '72.
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2014, 02:14:58 PM »

Because the city thrives off the wealth and hard work of others.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2014, 02:48:11 PM »

A lot of the defense industry employees and government workers in allegedly more "conservative" departments like defense do not live in DC proper, even if their job requires them to spend the workday there.

Conservatives tend to self-select out of the District, with the exception of some of the very wealthy lobbyists who like living in Georgetown. They like Virginia better (a lot of congressional Republicans will have their residence in Virginia). I was once making small talk at a party with a guy who lives in DC but works in Maryland at some government research lab. I asked how he'd decided what part of the capitol area to live in and if he'd ever considered NoVa, and given his reaction you'd think I'd just asked him if he'd like to live in Saudi Arabia.

I really can't imagine anyone voluntarily choosing to live in Virginia when they could live in Maryland.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: June 26, 2014, 05:03:15 PM »

I really can't imagine anyone voluntarily choosing to live in Virginia Maryland when they could live in Maryland Virginia.

FIFY Wink
Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2014, 07:53:42 PM »

I really can't imagine anyone voluntarily choosing to live in Virginia Maryland when they could live in Maryland Virginia.

FIFY Wink

I guess this exchange ironically answers my question.

Btw I've been to both sides and they're both beautiful, but I side with Maryland for the politics.
Fed. Pac. Chairman Devin
Devin
United States

« Reply #11 on: June 26, 2014, 08:45:13 PM »

I once heard that roughly 10% of the population is gay. that probably has a lot to do with it.
Never
Never Convinced
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2014, 08:54:56 PM »

I once heard that roughly 10% of the population is gay. that probably has a lot to do with it.

True, and that percentage might be seen in other major cities as well, not just D.C. We probably just notice those things about the nation's capital because it is not overshadowed by a state.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2014, 02:18:21 PM »

That's pretty much it.  DC is a mix of rich white areas that vote like rich white central city areas in NYC or Boston, and black areas that vote like urban black areas.  And, yeah, black people in Anacostia don't work for defense contractors.

Isn't there also a significant lower/middle class white ethnic population? 
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2014, 02:33:11 PM »

No.  There are some poor college students and young professionals working in non-profit stuff.  There are no working-class white neighborhoods in DC as far as I know.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2014, 09:17:38 AM »

No.  There are some poor college students and young professionals working in non-profit stuff.  There are no working-class white neighborhoods in DC as far as I know.

To the extent that's true, it really does represent a huge shift from what the white population consisted of 60 years ago when blacks first overtook whites in terms of population in the city.

Here's a site I found with some interesting maps and graphics:

http://datatools.urban.org/features/OurChangingCity/demographics/#index
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2014, 07:10:17 PM »

Why would DC defense workers be inclined to support the GOP anyway?

DoD/DHS professionals are the epitome of the kind of voters that the GOP is bleeding profusely as it pushes for draconian cuts to discretionary spending.  If the GOP wants to reverse Democratic inroads in NOVA, the Research Triangle, and other R&D heavy places and industries then it needs to jump back onboard the pork gravy train.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2014, 11:06:25 PM »

DoD/DHS professionals are the epitome of the kind of voters that the GOP is bleeding profusely as it pushes for draconian cuts to discretionary spending.  If the GOP wants to reverse Democratic inroads in NOVA, the Research Triangle, and other R&D heavy places and industries then it needs to jump back onboard the pork gravy train.

The guy I was having the "Maryland vs Virginia" argument with was working with some defense-related government agency, or some contractor working for DoD or something, I don't remember the details. Point was, he was a very no-nonsense, buttoned-down engineering type, not some hippy-dippy feel-good social worker which is what I think all conservatives assume all government employees are like. Fifty years ago, someone like him would have been voting for Nixon/Ford/Reagan/et al. That party has nothing to offer him any more - it's suspicious of him because he's well-educated, it's resentful of him because he's well-paid, it's disdainful of him because he's the sort of post-modern, secular, vegetarian, non-gun-owning, culturally aware person who gets tarred as elitist.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2014, 11:09:19 PM »

The guy I was having the "Maryland vs Virginia" argument with was working with some defense-related government agency, or some contractor working for DoD or something, I don't remember the details. Point was, he was a very no-nonsense, buttoned-down engineering type, not some hippy-dippy feel-good social worker which is what I think all conservatives assume all government employees are like. Fifty years ago, someone like him would have been voting for Nixon/Ford/Reagan/et al. That party has nothing to offer him any more - it's suspicious of him because he's well-educated, it's resentful of him because he's well-paid, it's disdainful of him because he's the sort of post-modern, secular, vegetarian, non-gun-owning, culturally aware person who gets tarred as elitist.

And hence you understand the current Democratic realignment. 
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #19 on: June 30, 2014, 12:50:10 AM »

Eisenhower didn't get too many votes for President from DC.

Wink
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #20 on: June 30, 2014, 11:41:52 AM »

Wink
Eisenhower actually drew Stevenson in DC twice (the rules then in use awarded all 0 electoral votes to the Democrats anyways), coming within a single vote of winning. Though Nixon failed just as tragically narrowly against Kennedy.
Illuminati Blood Drinker
phwezer
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.42, S: -7.30

« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2014, 12:30:04 PM »

Wink
Eisenhower actually drew Stevenson in DC twice (the rules then in use awarded all 0 electoral votes to the Democrats anyways), coming within a single vote of winning. Though Nixon failed just as tragically narrowly against Kennedy.
Clever.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2014, 01:18:57 PM »

If D.C. had been allowed to vote in national elections from the very beginning, when would it have most recently gone for the GOP?  1956?  1928?
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2014, 01:20:33 PM »

If D.C. had been allowed to vote in national elections from the very beginning, when would it have most recently gone for the GOP?  1956?  1928?
Nobody knows, do they?

1928 at the very latest, realistically speaking. 1944 might also be an option, actually.
PiMp DaDdy FitzGerald
Mr. Pollo

« Reply #24 on: June 30, 2014, 04:08:05 PM »

Because they are educated and are filled with libertarian personalities.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies