Oregon
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 18, 2024, 08:19:24 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Oregon
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Oregon  (Read 1407 times)
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 02, 2005, 06:58:15 PM »
« edited: April 02, 2005, 07:06:22 PM by Frodo »

for all, but especially for the lone Oregon resident on this forum:

the current Democratic governor, Ted Kulongoski, won the governor's mansion in 2002 by under 50%.  how well do you think he would do next year in his bid for re-election?

are there any strong Republican candidates who would pose a serious  threat to his bid for re-election? 
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -9.39

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2005, 07:02:37 PM »

the current Democratic governor, Ron Kitzhaber (sp?) won the governor's mansion in 2002 by under 50%.  how well do you think he would do next year in his bid for re-election? 

The Governor is Ted Kulongoski. The one before him was John Kitzhaber. In 2002, the Libertarian candidate probably cost the GOP the governorship, polling 3 percent. He should win fairly easily next year though, unless the GOP finds a good moderate.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2005, 07:10:51 PM »

the current Democratic governor, Ron Kitzhaber (sp?) won the governor's mansion in 2002 by under 50%.  how well do you think he would do next year in his bid for re-election? 

The Governor is Ted Kulongoski. The one before him was John Kitzhaber. In 2002, the Libertarian candidate probably cost the GOP the governorship, polling 3 percent. He should win fairly easily next year though, unless the GOP finds a good moderate.

would you happen to know any strong candidates that the Oregon GOP could put forth against Kulongoski?  presumably it would be the one that ran against him last time, though i can't recall his name.  are there any others?
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2005, 08:18:21 PM »

would you happen to know any strong candidates that the Oregon GOP could put forth against Kulongoski?  presumably it would be the one that ran against him last time, though i can't recall his name.  are there any others?

Not that I know of. The last candidate, Kevin Mannix, was attacked for being too conservative. He'll probably run again, which ensures a Kulongoski victory.
No more McShame
FuturePrez R-AZ

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2005, 10:57:11 PM »

I was suprised that Mannix got so close last time.  He's pretty extreme for Oregon.  The voters must have finally seen through Kitzhaber and the backlash hurt Kulongoski.  I've been out of Oregon for quite some time but the state GOP still doesn't seem to have it together, other than Sen. Gordon Smith, Democrats hold all the statewide offices there.
Rob
Bob
Junior Chimp
United States
Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2005, 11:19:58 PM »

I was suprised that Mannix got so close last time.  He's pretty extreme for Oregon.  The voters must have finally seen through Kitzhaber and the backlash hurt Kulongoski.  I've been out of Oregon for quite some time but the state GOP still doesn't seem to have it together, other than Sen. Gordon Smith, Democrats hold all the statewide offices there.

Yes, the Oregon GOP is in quite a sorry state... Oregon was one of the few states where the Democrats were truly happy on election night. Kerry won solidly, Wyden won in a landslide, all the Democratic congressmen were easily reelected, and- most surprisingly (to me, at least)- the Democrats won the state Senate and reduced the GOP margin in the House.

As long as the state Republican Party is in such disarray, I expect Oregon to be safely Democratic in presidential elections for quite some time.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies