Tennessee State and Local Politics (Two GOP gov. debates upcoming)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 03:27:53 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Tennessee State and Local Politics (Two GOP gov. debates upcoming)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6
Author Topic: Tennessee State and Local Politics (Two GOP gov. debates upcoming)  (Read 20533 times)
nolesfan2011
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.68, S: -7.48

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2014, 06:34:48 PM »

hopefully Charlie uses the peanuts theme song in campaign ads
Representative Joe Mad
Joe Mad
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2014, 07:46:39 PM »

That article that was posted regarding the nominee wanting to electrocute the governor had some neat links at the bottom basically outlining the utter collapse the Democratic party has faced in the south.  All rather depressing, really.  The one about Alvin Greene was actually rather sad. 
crash1984
Rookie
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2014, 10:13:45 PM »

Tennessee always seems to get some fruitcakes on the ballot for some reason. Yesterday in the governors race I nearly voted for Basil Marceaux.

Back when I was rather young there used to be this guy Dan Martino who was a street preacher and made national headlines by holding a sign at the 1988 Democrat convention saying "God is a Republican". There was one time he ran for sheriff and since he was the only Republican running he got the nomination. Even Republicans were saying to vote for the Democrat.

As far as how I voted yesterday I voted for Alexander, Haslam, Wamp, and to retain the justices. Honestly I really did not not like Wamp or Fleischmann and was not going to vote for either come November but I considered Wamp the lesser of two evils. Also there were some local races on the ballot and also a question about domestic partnership.
Andrew1
Rookie
United States

« Reply #28 on: August 09, 2014, 04:06:34 AM »

The Democrats' Basil Marceaux

Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #29 on: November 03, 2014, 08:43:38 PM »

I haven't updated this in months, but I figured I'd do one final election eve update.

Early voting turnout declined by 14.6 percent versus 2010, but continually rose over the early voting period. The Tennesseean speculates that this may be due to voters taking longer to make up their minds than in previous years.

In line with that theory, a Middle Tennessee State University poll out last week indicates that support for Amendment 1, which would give the legislature authority to regulate abortion, leads opposition by 39%-32% among likely voters, with 15% undecided, 8% saying they won't cast a vote on the amendment, and 6% refusing to answer. Sorry there's no link to the poll on MTSU's site, but I bizarrely could not find it on http://mtsusurveygroup.org.

More results of the poll, released a few days later, indicate that Haslam leads Brown 50%-19%, Alexander leads Ball 42%-26%, and support for Amendment 3 leads opposition 30%-25%, with 24% unsure and 14% not voting.

That poll doesn't look very good to me.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #30 on: November 04, 2014, 09:52:47 PM »

643,413 gubernatorial votes have been counted so far, according to wate.com. Although only 22% of precincts are reporting, this would mean that each state constitutional amendment would need at least 321,707 votes to be passed, if that were the final number (which of course it won't be). Nevertheless, I will state the current numbers on the amendments in order to get an early look: Amendment 1 (giving the legislature authority to restrict abortion) has 354,836, Amendment 2 (giving the legislature confirmation powers over state appellate judge appointments) has 406,243, Amendment 3 (banning a state income tax) has 417,715, and Amendment 4 (allowing veterans' groups to hold lottery fundraisers) has 430,848, all over the threshold for now.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #31 on: November 04, 2014, 10:49:59 PM »

WUOT is saying all four amendments have passed.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2014, 07:58:56 PM »

There's a new Vanderbilt University poll out this week asking a wide range of policy questions to Tennessee voters.

Some of the most important numbers:
-56% support Medicaid expansion.
-ACA favorability is at 20/44, with 35% unsure.
-Gov. Haslam's approval ratings stand at 70%
-67% oppose a no-exceptions abortion ban, though support for several other measures related to     abortion is higher.
-There is a wide generation gap concerning the issues of same-sex marriage, marijuana legalization, and income inequality.

The poll was conducted Nov. 10-20 by Princeton Survey Research Associates International.  It sampled 949 TN registered voters and has a margin of error of +/- 3.7%.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2015, 02:46:47 PM »

I haven't updated this thread in quite a while, but I wanted to note a couple of stories from last week.

First, longtime state Rep. Joe Armstrong, D-Knoxville, has been indicted on fraud and tax evasion charges based on an alleged plot involving cigarette tax stamps:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Here is a piece giving some background on Armstrong.

Second, the Chattanooga Times-Free Press ran an article yesterday regarding Democratic efforts to defeat state Sen. Todd Gardenhire, R-Chattanoga, in next year's election:

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #34 on: July 24, 2015, 07:33:44 PM »

State Supreme Court justice Gary Wade is retiring, effective Sep. 8.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2015, 06:00:56 PM »
« Edited: July 27, 2015, 02:18:31 PM by Oak Hills »

Nashville has a mayoral election coming up on Thursday, August 6, and there is a poll out conducted by Democratic pollster Gerstein Bocaine Agne Strategies for the Tennessee Laborers PAC, showing these numbers:

Megan Barry: 20%
David Fox: 19%
Bill Freeman: 18%
Howard Gentry: 11%
Charles Robert Bone: 9%
Linda Eskind Rebrovick: 7%
Jeremy Kane: 3%
Undecided: 14%

Sample: 500 LVs
MoE: +/- 4.4%
Conducted: July 16-20

There is a runoff in September.

I haven't really been following this race.  Is there anyone from that area who could give a summary of what's been going on with that?
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2015, 08:03:45 PM »

Nashville has a mayoral election coming up on Thursday, August 6, and there is a poll out conducted by Democratic pollster Gerstein Bocaine Agne Strategies for the Tennessee Laborers PAC, showing these numbers:

Megan Barry: 20%
David Fox: 19%
Howard Gentry: 11%
Charles Robert Bone: 9%
Linda Eskind Rebrovick: 7%
Jeremy Kane: 3%
Undecided: 14%

Sample: 500 LVs
MoE: +/- 4.4%
Conducted: July 16-20

There is a runoff in September.

I haven't really been following this race.  Is there anyone from that area who could give a summary of what's been going on with that?

David Fox= Conservative Republican (I'm voting for him)
Megan Barry= Socially liberal moderate (Tennessean endorsed her)
Linda Rebrovick= From prominent Democratic family, but kind of a Republican herself
Bill Freeman= Liberal Democrat (why wasn't he included on this poll?)

Those are the only ones I know enough about to summarize.  I really hope Fox makes the runoff.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #37 on: July 26, 2015, 08:44:57 PM »

Those are the only ones I know enough about to summarize.  I really hope Fox makes the runoff.

It's going to be very, very tough for him.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: July 26, 2015, 09:04:19 PM »

It's going to be very, very tough for him.

If he doesn't and Freeman does, I will still take an interest in the runoff to make sure that Freeman doesn't win.  If Fox were the only Conservative-leaning candidate, I would like his chances to make the runoff in Nashville (which is only D+5)- but he has to worry about Rebrovick, Barry, and potentially others.

One race that I will want to watch closely is the race for the 5th when Cooper retires- I wonder if the GOP could find a country music star to make it a possible pickup.  But, with TN trending even further to the GOP, I bet they find a way to gerrymander an 8th Republican district out of Nashville in 2020.
smoltchanov
Junior Chimp
Russian Federation

« Reply #39 on: July 27, 2015, 12:24:05 AM »

Conservative Republican mayor of Nashville? Not especially likely, IMHO....
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #40 on: July 27, 2015, 02:20:13 PM »

Bill Freeman= Liberal Democrat (why wasn't he included on this poll?)

He was.  I just forgot to type his name and percent when I was making that post.  Fixed.
Gass3268
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #41 on: July 27, 2015, 03:08:45 PM »

My girlfriend is from the Nashville area (she's from Hendersonville) and she told me all of her family that live in Nashville (almost all are pretty conservative) are voting for Freeman.
Oak Hills
United States

« Reply #42 on: August 04, 2015, 10:00:15 PM »

Nashville:  Fox is now accusing Freeman ally, and Democratic state representative, Bo Mitchell of being behind an anti-Fox robocall which did not disclose who paid for it, a violation of federal regulations; the Davidson County DA is investigating.

House District 14:  I have thus far failed to mention this, but the Republican primary for the special election to replace Ryan Haynes, who resigned from the TN HoR in order to become state GOP chair is next week.  The two candidates, small businessman Jason Zachary and local school board member Karen Carson will be facing off at a debate this Thursday at 7 PM.  No Democrats or independents have filed, so the winner of the primary will be elected.

Here is a map of the district, located in Knox County:

Prisons:  Gov. Haslam is defending his administration's record of running state prisons in the wake of recent controversy surrounding staffing policies.
RFayette
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: August 04, 2015, 10:21:22 PM »
« Edited: August 04, 2015, 10:23:36 PM by MW Representative RFayette »

Is Fox actually a conservative Republican?  He sounds like a vaguely moderate pragmatist in his ads talking about infrastructure, debt, and not just serving downtown.  Is this his strategy to win?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #44 on: August 04, 2015, 11:22:18 PM »

Is Fox actually a conservative Republican?  He sounds like a vaguely moderate pragmatist in his ads talking about infrastructure, debt, and not just serving downtown.  Is this his strategy to win?

Pretty much, he wants and has to stick out among the seven candidates running.
I am rooting for him and hope that Freeman won't make the runoff.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #45 on: August 04, 2015, 11:24:28 PM »

Congratulations, Tennessee. You are no longer home to the country's most idiotic democratic party. That title belongs to Mississippi. Robert Gray got far more of the gov primary vote tonight than Charles Brown did last year.
15 Down, 35 To Go
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 04:03:01 PM »

Pretty much, he wants and has to stick out among the seven candidates running.
I am rooting for him and hope that Freeman won't make the runoff.

I'm for Fox.  The race is almost certain to go to a runoff, but it is just a question of which two of Fox, Freeman, and Barry make it, unless there is a late surger.  My preference of the three is Fox>Barry>Freeman.

What date is the runoff, again?
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 11:50:37 PM »

Election results can be found here.

http://www.wsmv.com/category/249764/election-returns

Livestream:

http://www.wsmv.com/category/213709/news-live-stream
MT Treasurer