The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 06:46:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald  (Read 2302 times)
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 14, 2014, 11:39:03 PM »
« edited: August 12, 2014, 11:59:56 PM by GM Napoleon »

Republic of Atlasia
THE ATLASIA DISPATCH-HERALD

F.L. 32-5: The Game Moderator is responsible for providing the Senate and Atlasia with the necessary information to conduct debate and create legislation. The GM, at his discretion, shall provide information on wars, natural disasters, foreign events, and basic economic information including unemployment and inflation.

Welcome to the Atlasia Dispatch-Herald.

This thread will provide several services:

• official news on events occurring in Atlasia
  • updates to Atlasia's basic economic indicators, published at least once per two months
  • on request: information about Atlasia

RELEVANT LAWS
F.L. 32-5: Game Moderator Reform Act
Amendment XV: Game Moderation Reform Amendment

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Secretary of International Affairs Averroes Nix
Secretary of Internal Affairs HagridoftheDeep

PREVIOUS GM UPDATE THREADS
Office of the Game Moderator (Averroes)
Office of the Game Moderator (Adam Griffin)
The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald (Shua)
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=17967.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=28225.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=39177.0
https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=97914.0
The Atlasia Dispatch-Herald (Purple State)
Red Flag (Al)
Office of the Game Moderator/Atlasian Mustelid Post Gazette (Badger)
Office of the Game Moderator/Voice of God (Yelnoc)
The Atlasia Guardian-Informer (Marokai)

UPDATE SCHEDULE

National economic and employment data- 1st of each month
International News- 1st and 3rd Sundays of each month
Blast from the Past- Mondays
Regional News- Tuesdays
National News- Wednesdays
Miscellaneous News- GM's whim
Q and A Session- 1st of each Febraury, April, June, August, October and December

PRESS REGISTRY

To be determined...
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2014, 11:47:39 PM »

FAQ

What is this thread for?

This thread is for the sole purpose of news updates. Commentary and requests should be directed to my office. Please do not post in this thread if you see it unlocked. It is my goal to make the news as accessible as possible to every Atlasian.

When should I check this thread?

You should check this thread anytime you see a new post. While I have posted a schedule that I intend to follow, I will also intermittently post random updates and tidbits that may be of interest.

How can I make requests?

The best way to reach me is through PM or my office. Posting in region specific threads or bills being debated may be overlooked by me, as a game of over 100 participants is a lot to manage. I will be keeping up to the best of my ability but if you think I am forgetting something, it is your responsibility to let me know so that the appropriate data can be provided.

I have a cool idea. Can I share it?

Feel free to forward any ideas you might have to me. I can't guarantee that I will go along with them, or I might stash it in my pocket for down the line, but any creative stimulus can't hurt.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2014, 11:51:44 PM »

RECENT UPDATES

National

Northeast

IDS

Mideast

Midwest

Pacific
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2014, 12:01:52 AM »
« Edited: July 15, 2014, 12:03:39 AM by GM Napoleon »

Up to date Unemployment figures

July 2014

IDS - 8.2% (-0.4%)
Mideast - 6.0% (-0.2%)
Midwest - 6.6% (-0.3%)
Northeast - 6.0% (-0.3%)
Pacific - 12.8% (-2.6%)

National - 8.9% (-0.9%)

February 2014

IDS - 8.60%
Mideast - 6.20%
Midwest - 6.90%
Northeast - 6.30%
Pacific - 15.40%

National - 9.70%
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2014, 12:15:07 AM »

National News

Proposal Causes Panic for Owners, Athletes, and Fans Alike

As the Atlasian Senate has began debating the End Sports Profiteering Act, many owners of professional sports have looked into a lawsuit. The bill, which aims to mandate the purchase of sports teams in professional leagues, spooked not only owners, but players, with the MLB and NBA players' unions announcing their strident opposition to the proposal. Atlasia's most popular sports league's players' union, the NFLPA, has yet to comment on the matter.

Fans have wondered about the potential impact on the sports they love. Jeff Jeffrey, a Cowboys fan in Oklahoma, told our news team that he feels "this is just a backalley way of turning my favorite sport into flag football." Another Cowboys fan from the Dallas metro tells us "the government usually doesn't get things right, but they can't do worse than Jerry Jones," suggesting a pessimistic indifference. A Pittsburgh area fan pointed out to us that "the Rooneys have owned the Steelers forever...you can't force them to sell their property." Owners have suggested that the purchases of their teams would result in less than fair market value in compensation.

The Los Angeles Clippers could not be reached for comment.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 12:08:29 AM »

Clarification

Due to differences in Atlasian policy and past events, there is no immgrant/refugee crisis occuring on our southern border at this time.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2014, 12:22:56 AM »

Regional News

Northeast: First "group divorce" settlement has been reached. A one male-two female union has been severed, with the male and one female remaining in a union. Custody of the two children has been awarded to the father and the additional female partner. The mother is being granted limited visitation rights and no alimony from the New Hampshire judge.

Pacific: HIV rates have been rising in the Pacific, especially among minorities. The uptick is attiributed to unprotected sex among prisoners and cultural ambivalence toward STD testing, and has caused more cases upon their release. Some wonder whether access to condoms in prisons or allowing spousal visitations for sexual activity may reduce HIV transmission.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2014, 12:42:52 AM »

National News

Department of Agriculture Investigates Slaughterhouse

Numerous code violations were uncovered by Department of Agriculture investigators during a routine inspection at a rural Kansas meat processing facility. Among the main infractions were improper storage and temparature violations, unsanitary facilities, and rat infestation. The facility, which produces up to two tons of meat monthly, is likely to be shut down any day now. The state of decay indicated to inspectors that the facility may have been this way for nearly two months and a recall is possible.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2014, 11:56:14 PM »

Clarification

Due to differences in Atlasian policy and past events, there is no ground or air war between Israel and Palestine at this point in time.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2014, 12:00:02 AM »

International News

Passenger Plane Shot Down

Late night on Sunday July 20 a commercial plane was shot down near the Ukraine-Russia border. The Malaysia airlines flight carried nearly 300 passengers with an unknown number of Atlasians on board. Intelligence officials are trying to discern the aggressor, with Russian President Vladmir Putin placing the blame on the Ukrainian government. It is speculated that the missle was launched by pro-Russian separatists in Ukraine whk may have acquired the missle directly from Russia.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2014, 02:09:26 AM »
« Edited: July 21, 2014, 02:11:33 AM by GM Napoleon »

Financial News

National GNP & Growth Stats

GNP: $15.24 trillion
GNP 6-Month Growth: +1.07%
2013 Projected Federal Revenue: $2.92 trillion
2013 Projected Federal Revenue As % of GDP: 19.14%
CPI (1 month): +1.06% CPI (Last 12 months): +3.67%
Gold: $1656.71/oz
Crude Oil: $92.04/barrel
ANSE: 904.71
NASDAQ: 2208.45
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2014, 01:06:06 AM »

International News

Update: Passenger Plane Shot Down

36 victims of the Malaysian Airlines downing were Atlasian citizens, including 21 men, 13 women and 5 children below age 10. Intelligence reports are indicating a higher probability that the attack was launched from the Russian side of the border, though the Russian government continues to deny any involvement.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2014, 11:51:25 AM »

National News

Drug Use in Past 30 Days

Alcohol: 47%
Tobacco: 24%
Marijuana: 28%
MDMA: 9%
Cocaine: 7%
LSD: 2.0%
Heroin: 1.4%
Methamphetamine: 2.3%
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 28, 2014, 12:39:28 AM »

National News

Atlasian's Becoming More Educated

Adults over age 25

High school: 90.6%
Some college: 63.4%
Bachelor's degree: 40.4%
Master's: 12.3%
Doctorate: 1.7%
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2014, 12:53:57 AM »

National News

DUI convictions up nearly 50% year to date

Following January's reduction in legal BAC levels to 0.05% for all drivers, record numbers of DUI convictions have left many Atlasians in difficult situations. Fred Jones of Paterson, New Jersey said "I only had two beers before driving- I was not putting myself or anyone else at risk." Fred said he was pulled over for expired tags when asked if he had been drinking. "I was honest about it. Two beers is not going to cause problems for me when driving." Fred was forced to pay a hefty fine of $1,750 and had his license suspended. "How am I supposed to get to work now? Two beers man! This is crazy." Amy Carter of the National Public Transportation Association says that "Regardless of whether the change was right, it's clear that we need to enhance our public transportation so that Atlasians are not so dependent on their automobiles." A MADD spokeswoman said "Our children our safer because of this law. If someone has anything to drink, they should not be driving, period." The number of DUI convictions is up 48% compared to this time in 2013.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 28, 2014, 01:12:41 AM »

Regional News

Mideast: An Ohio amusement park ride that swings riders as high as 125 feet has been closed indefinitely after a cable snapped, injuring two visitors.

Cedar Point spokesman Bryan Edwards said a cable on one of the Skyhawk ride's carriages disconnected late Saturday. One rider was treated at a hospital and released. The other person was treated at the scene, the park said.

Northeast: A family of five, including three children, were found shot to death Sunday inside a southern Maine apartment, authorities said.

Investigators said a gun was found near one of the bodies, and it appeared that no one outside the family was responsible for the shootings.

State police Sgt. Chris Harriman said murder-suicide is one of the scenarios being investigated but that a determination will be made by the state medical examiner’s office.

Pacific: Wildfires broke out in the summer heat, including a wildfire that has destroyed 13 homes and forced hundreds of evacuations in the Sierra Nevada foothills, while a fire near Yosemite National Park that destroyed one home grew significantly overnight.

IDS: A man attacked another man late Sunday night in Jacksonville, Florida, leaving the victim in critical condition. Police say that the attacker was under the influence of "bath salts", a synthetic drug. The man was left with half of the skin on his face missing after the attacker ate it off of him as he screamed. This is the second time we have seen a Florida man on bath salts eat the face of another man. "When does it stop?" Rebecca Williams asked. "The zombies are out to get us."
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2014, 11:59:45 PM »

Regional News

Mideast: Police arrested 32 people after rioting and looting erupted in Ferguson, Missouri, late on Sunday and spread to neighbouring towns in protests that turned violent over the killing of a black teenager by a police officer, officials said on Monday.

Crowds broke the windows of cars and stores, set a building alight and looted shops after a day of demonstrations over the death of Michael Brown, an unarmed 18-year-old shot on Saturday by a Ferguson police officer.

At least two dozen businesses were damaged, St Louis County Police spokesman Brian Schellman said on Monday. More than 300 police officers, many in riot gear, tried to control the crowd, and one officer was struck by a brick while another hurt his knee while making an arres
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2014, 12:05:23 AM »

International News

Mexican President Enrique Nieto Tuesday August 12 stated his support for closer ties with Atlasia and Canada, citing the benefits of the common market and the nation's history as a trade partner. Whether the citizens of Mexico support their President's new position remains to be seen, and expanding the common market has not been a top priority for Canada or Atlasia recently.

Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2014, 11:23:36 PM »

Regional News

Mideast: Since last week's shooting in Ferguson, Missouri numerous deomstrations have been held in the city, resulting in an estimated two million dollars in property damage, 137 arrests, and two more shootings. A police officer shot and critically injured an armed man and a group of protesters shot at police officers the following day.

Midwest: A shooting at a high school in Colorado Springs, CO resulted in five dead students, thirteen injuries to students and faculty and the shooter's own suicide. Police are investigating.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies