Election almost on us- The Newspapers
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:19:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Election almost on us- The Newspapers
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Election almost on us- The Newspapers  (Read 883 times)
afleitch
Atlas Star

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 04, 2005, 02:46:32 PM »

Who are the papers gone to endorse this year, if anyone?

The Express shifted to the Conservatives a year or so ago and the Sun today announced it was sitting on the fence (your trend setting sun....hrmm). Will The Independent endorse the Lib Dems?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2005, 08:48:01 AM »

I expect the Daily Express, Daily Mail (I think the proprietor's after a peerage and Labour ain't giving him one), Daily Star and the Daily Telegraph to endorse the Conservatives

The Daily Mirror will back Labour - I'm not sure about the Guardian or the Independent because of their hostility to the war in Iraq - but I don't see them supporting the Conservatives. So either a grudging or look-warm endorsement of Labour from those two

Financial Times could stick with Labour but I'm not certain, while the Times may be 'neutral'

The Sundays will probably see the People and the Sunday Mirror back Labour - with the News of the World (taking the Sun's 'neutral' position). Expect Express, Mail, Star and Telegraph to with the Tories (whoops, sorry Conservatives), the Independent on Sunday and Observer (as with the Independent and Guardian) and the Sunday Times 'neutral'

Dave
Silent Hunter
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2005, 09:08:48 AM »

The Sun may well keep us guessing until Election Day. Who knows. I doubt they'll give a full Tory endorsement though.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2005, 12:32:17 PM »

The Sun may well keep us guessing until Election Day. Who knows. I doubt they'll give a full Tory endorsement though.

The Sun ought to endorse Labour, if only on the economy but they criticise Labour's lack of reform of public services.  They even admit that schools and hospitals were grossly underfunded under the Tory era - so why they'd even contemplate taking Britain backwards beggers belief. Yesterday, they talked about the good, the bad and the ugly of Blair's years - and even print-wise the good outweighed either the bad or the ugly. Today, its the NHS. One thing yesterday's editorial said, which made me chuckle, was that Labour would peddle a 'myth' that the Tories are economic incompetents. Sorry - but if unacceptable levels of unemployment; higher rates of inflation, interest  rates, mortgage rates; business bankruptcies and negative equity smack of economic competence then I'm Margaret Thatcher! Britain's economy is the 'healthy man' of Europe. Sustained economic growth is the key to national and personal prosperity and investment in our public services; I'll accept, however, that taxes have increased modestly to provide much needed investment in our public services. Labour did inherit a relatively strong economy from the Tories - but had they been still running the show, true to form, the boom would have soon gone bust

The Sun are closer to the Tories (sorry, I mean Conservatives) on Europe, tax, law and order and immigration/asylum (the 'panic'/'fear' issues where myth often distorts the reality) - but are friendly to Labour on just about everything else

Dave
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies