The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:46:56 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56476 times)
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #325 on: October 19, 2015, 12:44:01 AM »

Perceval le Gallois,  Rohmer's adaptation of Chretein de Troyes twelfth century Arthurian epic poem.  A unique and beautiful piece of work. See it if you have interest in anything medieval.   It makes me interested to see other films by Eric Rohmer though I don't know that anything else he did at all compares to it.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #326 on: October 20, 2015, 02:19:30 PM »

The MARSian (in 3D).

Very nicely-done movie, which looks like a mix of "Gravity", "Cast Away" and "Dances with Wolves".

Including hot chick with glasses in the control room !
Ban my account ffs!
snowguy716
Atlas Star
Austria

« Reply #327 on: October 20, 2015, 04:06:01 PM »

Saw Steve Jobs last Friday.  It was good.  It really focuses around the moments leading up to three big announcements... The 1984 Macintosh release, the 1988 NeXt computer release and finally the 1998 iMac release.  But it's really about the people.

Id recommend it if you're into this kinda thing.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #328 on: January 26, 2016, 08:29:59 AM »

Last movies I've seen were Star Wars: The Force Awakens, Carol, The Revenant, The Big Short, and Creed.

The best of the bunch was clearly The Revenant.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #329 on: January 26, 2016, 11:15:59 AM »

I really wasn't impressed by The Revenant. It was nice to look at, mostly, but I didn't feel like it tried to say anything beyond the immediate. For such an "epic" film, it felt really small and meaningless.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #330 on: January 26, 2016, 11:21:03 PM »

I really wasn't impressed by The Revenant. It was nice to look at, mostly, but I didn't feel like it tried to say anything beyond the immediate. For such an "epic" film, it felt really small and meaningless.

I agree, although Tom Hardy (the guy who played FitzGerald) was great!
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #331 on: January 27, 2016, 12:39:24 AM »

Definitely. I thought Hardy stood out far more than DiCaprio, and Gleeson was solid as well.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #332 on: January 28, 2016, 07:02:23 AM »

Definitely. I thought Hardy stood out far more than DiCaprio, and Gleeson was solid as well.

Yeah, DiCaprio was okay and I like him as an actor, but his performance really wasn't anything amazing (good yes, but it has nothing on his performances in movies like The Departed, Wolf of Wall Street, J. Edgar, Django Unchained, etc).  I feel like his awards narrative is more "he's due" than anything else.  I thought the guy who played the guy who stayed behind with FitzGerald, Glass, and Glass' son did a great job too. 
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #333 on: February 12, 2016, 04:48:09 AM »

I've seen The Hateful 8 on Monday.

Despite some mixed reviews I was certainly entertained.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #334 on: February 20, 2016, 02:00:15 AM »
« Edited: February 20, 2016, 02:15:02 PM by Alex »

The Revenant, pretty mediocre, I only watched it because I had 2 free tickets
(I wanted to see Deadpool, but there were only first and second row seats available)
#TheShadowyAbyss
TheShadowyAbyss
Atlas Icon
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -3.64

« Reply #335 on: February 20, 2016, 05:44:45 AM »

The Force Awakens was the last 2015 movie I saw, t'was pretty good.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #336 on: February 20, 2016, 06:30:11 AM »

Deadpool
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #337 on: February 29, 2016, 06:06:22 AM »

Midnight Special
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
Vatican City State

« Reply #338 on: February 29, 2016, 05:22:48 PM »

Saw Deadpool. While not perfect, it was a lot better than I expected. Absolutely hilarious.

Before that I saw Hateful Eight, which I was really torn about. It was great and hilarious up until the b-jibber scene. So first half: A+; second half: scarring.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #339 on: February 29, 2016, 05:32:17 PM »

I watched Romero in class.

In addition the movie's obvious merits (earnestness, telling an important story, Raul Julia's acting) and demerits (no budget, everybody else's acting, the script), I appreciated how the movie roundly rejects this canard that you see going around a lot in social-liberal circles (but also these days in Trumpista circles) that Religious Leaders Have No Place Speaking On Politics and should Stick To The Spiritual. As one of the priests in the movie points out explicitly, the Gospel has direct political implications. All the 'keep religion out of politic omg guyz!' characters in the movie are villains.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #340 on: March 16, 2016, 06:50:56 AM »

Trumbo
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #341 on: March 17, 2016, 05:45:26 PM »

Spotlight
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« Reply #342 on: March 27, 2016, 03:43:35 AM »

Batman v Superman wasn't nearly as horrible as the reviews make it out to be. Formulaic, yes, but completely unwatchable? Not at all. I fully expect the three hour version to be brilliant.
Bunwahaha [still dunno why, but well, so be it]
tsionebreicruoc
Junior Chimp
France

« Reply #343 on: March 27, 2016, 04:57:30 PM »

Apparently '2014 and 2015' also makes it to 2016.

Well, just finished Avatar, on TF1 (biggest French TV, which I get on, well, smartphone).

Had never seen it, and I would lie if I said my mind could intellectually be caught by that.

Well, as expected, quite classical à l'Américaine movie. All very classical, characters, schemes, way to develop the story, all the recipe of the American sauce is here.

I've been relatively impressed by facial technology of animation eventually.

I guess a good movie for kids under 10 though, not bad to make them sensible to ecology maybe.

I particularly liked the precise plot, about vegetal communication, it's good to be this so often forgotten, while more and more scientifically documented, topic raised into something mass public.

Lol, now there is Leathal Weapon 2 on TF1, liked it as a kid, and tomorrow afternoon Forrest Gump.

[/Easter TV]
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #344 on: March 28, 2016, 01:15:03 AM »

Er ist wieder da (Look Who's Back)

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Damn, that movie was awesome. I laughed my ass off.
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #345 on: March 28, 2016, 01:47:58 AM »

Watched the Hateful Eight. It was good but the plot was weird in a way I can't quite describe. A lot of stuff happened but none of it was really important to the main story. The main conflict doesn't start until the 2 hours in and even that seemed kind of inconsequential. It was entertaining though. Also there was an odd message about how racist White people can be redeemed by being nice to Black people. Don't know if I agreed with it but it was nice to see a somewhat unorthodox take on race relations in 2016.

Right before that, I saw Big Eyes. First good film Tim Burton had done in a while. Entertaining but if I had one complaint, the plot felt overly straight forward and simple. The acting was more important than the plot though and Amy Adams and Christoph Waltz both did excellent jobs. Waltz did well as an overbearing but charismatic sociopath and Adams did a surprisingly tough portrayal of Margaret Keane as a flighty, easily dominated woman. Surprising because the real Margaret Keane actually signed off on the film and appeared in a cameo.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #346 on: March 28, 2016, 07:03:27 AM »

Saw Zootopia this past weekend. Enjoyed very much despite being heavy handed with the Chekhov guns. Should easily win the Oscar for best animated movie, but doubt nomination in the overall category. Oscar doesn't give the big prize to films with a sense of humor.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #347 on: March 28, 2016, 10:36:44 AM »

This is SO Tender.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #348 on: March 28, 2016, 11:10:57 AM »

Watched the Hateful Eight. It was good but the plot was weird in a way I can't quite describe. A lot of stuff happened but none of it was really important to the main story. The main conflict doesn't start until the 2 hours in and even that seemed kind of inconsequential. It was entertaining though. Also there was an odd message about how racist White people can be redeemed by being nice to Black people. Don't know if I agreed with it but it was nice to see a somewhat unorthodox take on race relations in 2016.

My best friend suggested (I thought this suggestion was somewhat incendiary, but it's what she said) that, much as in The Birth of a Nation white Northerners and white Southerners are reconciled by extrajudicially killing black people, in The Hateful Eight white men and black men are reconciled by extrajudicially killing a woman.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #349 on: March 28, 2016, 11:16:00 AM »

This is SO Tender.

I really recommend this movie to you guys (even though a lot of the fun is probably lost with English subtitles or dubbing).

I almost pissed into my pants during the scene when Hitler went on a road trip with the TV reporter to buy himself a new dog: While Hitler inspects various dogs, the TV reporter talks with the dog owner in the back to convince him that Hitler is a reliable friend of dogs. Suddenly, a small puppy starts to attack Hitler and bites him in his leg. After which Hitler gets angry, kicks the puppy away, pulls out his pistol and kills the puppy with a headshot.

The dog owner of course does not sell him one of his dogs and TV reporter and Hitler drive on.

While driving off, the TV-guy turns on the radio. A rapper uses words like "n". Hitler is amused at the "funny music" and wants to know why he's rapping about "ns". The TV guy explains to him that "n" is nowadays a friendly term in music and means "buddy" or "friend". To which Hitler replies: "What a bullsh*t, every dumbass knows that n is another word for Neger."

Silence.

5 seconds later, Hitler pulls out the corpse of the dead puppy crying "n !!!" to scare the driving TV reporter  - who almost crashes the car ... Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 11 12 13 [14] 15 16 17 18 19 ... 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies