The last movie you've seen thread 2016
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:27:13 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56328 times)
World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #400 on: November 05, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »
« edited: November 05, 2016, 08:10:38 PM by Ah! tout est bu, tout est mangé! Plus rien à dire! »

Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculiar Children.

I'm of two minds about this movie. In some ways it really works, and in some ways it really, really doesn't. I became interested in seeing it mostly for the sake of seeing Eva Green in a role that doesn't revolve around her sex appeal and also isn't Penny Dreadful, which bombed harder than Cavemen in the Nathan household for reasons I don't want to get into. If you go into it basically just interested in seeing Green in a role sort of like the person Robin Williams was pretending to be in Mrs. Doubtfire except louder, angrier, and with access to a time machine, you'll probably have a pretty good time. (Side note, Green would make an excellent Emma Peel if anybody wanted to try another Avengers reboot within the next few years. It's been a while since I've seen The Avengers, but I have a sinking feeling that my tastes have changed enough that I still wouldn't be very interested in seeing that. Shame.)

On the other hand, to snowclone Thomas Eagleton's comment on George W. Bush's Attorney General pick, Guillermo del Toro would have been my first choice to direct this movie, and Tim Burton would have been my last choice. (I hope he's not [Inks]ing Green or something, as has been rumored. She could do so much better.) The monsters aren't scary, the crawlies aren't creepy, and the World War II setting (with the exception of one scene that comes straight out of Slaughterhouse-five) is too ~quirky~ to convince. The ending is acceptable, but some of the choices the movie makes in getting there beggar comprehension. It's based on a high-concept YA novel that I haven't read yet but would like to, and from what I've seen of the fan response (as opposed to the polite but uncaptivated critical response), people who haven't read or aren't fans of the book liked the movie pretty well, and people who have and are despised it.

It shares a Wikipedia category ('time loop films') with such an august lineup as Groundhog Day, Minority Report, Puella Magi Madoka Magica: The Movie, and Christmas Do-Over. Tonally it's somewhere between all four. It's probably too mainstream in its purposes and ethos to become 'a cult classic', which is a shame because that would really be the appropriate fate for it. (Maybe if Bruce Campbell had played the bad guy instead of Samuel L. Jackson--which would also solve the massive problem of the only black person in the film being a murderous psychopath who eats human eyes.) It'd be a great party or sleepover movie and I may well use it as such in the future but it probably hasn't got much rewatch value in other contexts.

EDIT: THOMAS Eagleton not Terry Eagleton. Silly me.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #401 on: November 05, 2016, 04:12:05 AM »

Doctor Strange

I was quite unsure in the first couple minutes of this movie about whether or not I would like it. I thought Stephen was kind of a dick, and the scenes immediately following his car crash were incredibly hoaky. When he arrives in Nepal, however, the whole experience is much better. A few of the jokes are...corny, to say the least, but I can at least see the direction they're going in. Tilda Swinton is Tilda Swinton, doing her Tilda Swintony things (ie being very good and making a boring on paper character interesting). Mads Mikkelsen's villain could've been a little more fleshes out, but what we got was good. The last scene with Dormamnu was very funny, I'll grant them that. And yeah, I don't need to talk about how well implemented the special effects are.

9.5/10.

Hacksaw Ridge is easily my favorite film of the year so far.
That is actually the first movie aside from the annual Dead show that I will see this entire year in the theaters. I'm really excited about that.

Watched Sausage Party on Popcorn Time the other day. It was an abortion. It was literally the type of movie my five year cousin Abby would watch, besides the lesbian taco and the gratuitous use of the F-word.

So glad I'm not the only one who hates that movie.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #402 on: November 05, 2016, 05:49:34 AM »

The last movies I've seen in the theater were:

Doctor Strange

The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II as parts of a Halloween double feature

The Accountant

Inferno

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Inferno was the worst of the lot. As for the most enjoyable ones... I guess that's a tie between Evil Dead II and Doctor Strange.
President of the civil service full of trans activists
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #403 on: November 05, 2016, 10:26:54 AM »

I've watched Bee Movie twice this week. I hate myself. Tongue
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #404 on: November 05, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »

Alfred Hitchcock's The Birds (1963), last Tuesday. Hitchcock's films are terrific.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #405 on: November 05, 2016, 07:58:03 PM »
« Edited: November 05, 2016, 08:01:17 PM by muon2 »

The last movies I've seen in the theater were:

Doctor Strange

The Evil Dead and Evil Dead II as parts of a Halloween double feature

The Accountant

Inferno

A Nightmare on Elm Street

Inferno was the worst of the lot. As for the most enjoyable ones... I guess that's a tie between Evil Dead II and Doctor Strange.

I was at WS game 5 with half my family while the other half went to Inferno. They weren't impressed either. I was not optimistic for them since the book has a number of elements that weren't going to sell well to the typical Hollywood audience. Sure enough all those elements were substantially altered, too.

Doctor Strange was a favorite comic book for me as a kid in the 60's. I hope to see the movie next weekend.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #406 on: November 05, 2016, 08:33:59 PM »

Just saw Priceless, I thought it could've been way better than it was. They missed an opportunity to create a classic.
Meclazine for Israel
Meclazine
Atlas Icon
Australia

« Reply #407 on: November 06, 2016, 07:58:01 PM »

The Shallows (2016)

Interesting take on the Jaws style movie.

A couple of really interesting things about this film. It had amazing photography which I can only assume was collected by a drone.

And the shark itself was a successful part of the movie.

Given it is almost about a single woman most of the time without personal interaction, very well done.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

« Reply #408 on: November 11, 2016, 06:53:24 PM »

Saw Arrival today. I thought it was was okay, not great. The pacing was really wonky; it starts slow and contemplative, but then randomly skips time through montage and voice-over in the middle. Maybe it was the theater I saw it in, but the whole film was really dark, making me feel like Mark Kermode yelling at them to "turn on the lights." The whole circular causality stuff was tenuous at best and relied on a lot of suspension of disbelief. I don't know... I guess I just didn't really connect with it emotionally like a lot of others did. As far as emotional sci-fi goes, I greatly prefer both Contact and Interstellar. Among recent releases, I vastly preferred Hacksaw Ridge.
fhtagn
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

« Reply #409 on: November 12, 2016, 02:17:12 AM »

I finally saw Doctor Strange today.

and I suckered my boyfriend into watching Before the Flood with me recently.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #410 on: November 17, 2016, 10:08:11 PM »

Doctor Strange was an amazing film, I think I may have a new favorite marvel flick. The visuals were stunning, and the acting was superb.

I can't wait for more of these characters, I will be extremely mad if we don't get a sequel. (Fingers crossed for Nightmare being the main villain)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #411 on: November 17, 2016, 10:49:12 PM »

The Accountant a couple weeks ago.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #412 on: November 18, 2016, 12:11:17 AM »

Doctor Strange was an amazing film, I think I may have a new favorite marvel flick. The visuals were stunning, and the acting was superb.

I can't wait for more of these characters, I will be extremely mad if we don't get a sequel. (Fingers crossed for Nightmare being the main villain)

The trailing scene implied that Strange will be paired with Thor in their next movie.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #413 on: November 18, 2016, 12:37:22 PM »

Saw Fantastic Beasts and Where To Find Them last night, which I enjoyed quite a bit, though I'm curious how they will continue to naturally fit together Newt Scamander as a character in with the story (the Grindelwald arc) they're clearly wanting to tell going forward. I feel weird for thinking otherwise in retrospect, but it's way more "Harry Potter" than I went in expecting, for some reason.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #414 on: November 18, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »

The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999). It was a crappy TV movie based on the book I just finished by Rand's one time best friend and briefly, official biographer, which detailed her life from Russia to her death.

I thought the movie distorted the book (which was very fair IMO) and portrayed Rand in a horrible light while whitewashing Nathaniel Brandon, who was literally everything bad about Ayn Rand on steroids, as some type of "tortured genius" which I found to be disgusting. They had the opportunity to make a compelling movie around the events of the Rand-Brandon affair, but instead they just had Helen Mirren trying as hard as possible to smear the woman.

World politics is up Schmitt creek
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #415 on: November 18, 2016, 04:36:15 PM »

The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999). It was a crappy TV movie based on the book I just finished by Rand's one time best friend and briefly, official biographer, which detailed her life from Russia to her death.

I thought the movie distorted the book (which was very fair IMO) and portrayed Rand in a horrible light while whitewashing Nathaniel Brandon, who was literally everything bad about Ayn Rand on steroids, as some type of "tortured genius" which I found to be disgusting. They had the opportunity to make a compelling movie around the events of the Rand-Brandon affair, but instead they just had Helen Mirren trying as hard as possible to smear the woman.

You might be surprised to hear me say this, but even though I despise Rand, I do think she's interesting enough and tragic enough to merit an unflinching, warts-and-all-but-at-least-semi-sympathetic-on-a-personal-level biopic, rather than adulation or demonization.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #416 on: November 18, 2016, 05:13:49 PM »

The trailing scene implied that Strange will be paired with Thor in their next movie.

Yeah, I'm getting really excited for it.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #417 on: November 19, 2016, 01:22:45 AM »

Has anyone here seen 'Loving', a movie depicting the couple that brought down state miscegenation laws with Loving vs. Virginia?

What did you think of it? 

Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« Reply #418 on: November 19, 2016, 09:55:40 AM »

I watched The Lobster. Very enjoyable, I like my dark humour.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« Reply #419 on: November 19, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »

You might be surprised to hear me say this, but even though I despise Rand, I do think she's interesting enough and tragic enough to merit an unflinching, warts-and-all-but-at-least-semi-sympathetic-on-a-personal-level biopic, rather than adulation or demonization.
.....did you know I was daydreaming about kinda sorta writing a semi-serious screenplay of such a thing in Intro Humanities yesterday? Let's do it.
FairBol
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #420 on: November 20, 2016, 09:40:58 AM »

Hey all, just popping in after a bit to say hi.  Last good movie I saw was James Bond's "Spectre".  Smiley
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #421 on: November 20, 2016, 01:13:30 PM »

Snowden and American Honey
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #422 on: November 20, 2016, 05:01:50 PM »

Suicide Squad definitely and gives a leg up to the Justice League by introducing Batman and the Joker.  Other than that, slow movie year for me.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #423 on: November 22, 2016, 05:37:37 PM »

Arrival - now my favorite sci fi film after Blade Runner and Nerve.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #424 on: November 23, 2016, 04:10:46 AM »

Trolls - It's a good family flick that's worth borrowing a kid if going with one is the only way you can justify to yourself going to an animated musical. Not an Oscar contender, but a good solid effort.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 14 15 16 [17] 18 19 20 21 22 23  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies