The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:39:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56545 times)
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« on: July 17, 2016, 09:49:05 AM »

Shrek 2 (2004)

Fantastic movie. A lot of great satire, funny jokes, and even a heartwarming message.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2016, 02:03:43 PM »

May Averroes forgive my indolence, I went to see Ghostbusters yesterday. And it was perfectly fine. It had more than its fair share of funny jokes (the gross-out humor was annoying, but it wasn't too bad), had a fairly basic plot but with enough variations on it as to make it worth following, and likable characters. It also made the right decision in not pushing its "girl power" message, which would have made it ring hollow and cynical. Instead, it told more or less the same story it would have told with male characters, but with female ones - and I think that's exactly what's needed. A movie doesn't need to have a profound message to advance feminist causes, sometimes it just needs to be itself. So in a way it's kind of brilliant in its mediocrity.

And I really can't possibly understand why it would elicit any visceral hate for any reason other than sexism.
It's actually about ethics in Ghost bustin'.
Slow Learner
Battenberg
United Kingdom

« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2016, 04:12:05 AM »

Doctor Strange

I was quite unsure in the first couple minutes of this movie about whether or not I would like it. I thought Stephen was kind of a dick, and the scenes immediately following his car crash were incredibly hoaky. When he arrives in Nepal, however, the whole experience is much better. A few of the jokes are...corny, to say the least, but I can at least see the direction they're going in. Tilda Swinton is Tilda Swinton, doing her Tilda Swintony things (ie being very good and making a boring on paper character interesting). Mads Mikkelsen's villain could've been a little more fleshes out, but what we got was good. The last scene with Dormamnu was very funny, I'll grant them that. And yeah, I don't need to talk about how well implemented the special effects are.

9.5/10.

Hacksaw Ridge is easily my favorite film of the year so far.
That is actually the first movie aside from the annual Dead show that I will see this entire year in the theaters. I'm really excited about that.

Watched Sausage Party on Popcorn Time the other day. It was an abortion. It was literally the type of movie my five year cousin Abby would watch, besides the lesbian taco and the gratuitous use of the F-word.

So glad I'm not the only one who hates that movie.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies