The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:23:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56574 times)
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.29, S: -5.04

« on: November 05, 2016, 12:00:58 AM »

Hacksaw Ridge is easily my favorite film of the year so far.
That is actually the first movie aside from the annual Dead show that I will see this entire year in the theaters. I'm really excited about that.

Watched Sausage Party on Popcorn Time the other day. It was an abortion. It was literally the type of movie my five year cousin Abby would watch, besides the lesbian taco and the gratuitous use of the F-word.
Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2016, 01:09:59 PM »

The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999). It was a crappy TV movie based on the book I just finished by Rand's one time best friend and briefly, official biographer, which detailed her life from Russia to her death.

I thought the movie distorted the book (which was very fair IMO) and portrayed Rand in a horrible light while whitewashing Nathaniel Brandon, who was literally everything bad about Ayn Rand on steroids, as some type of "tortured genius" which I found to be disgusting. They had the opportunity to make a compelling movie around the events of the Rand-Brandon affair, but instead they just had Helen Mirren trying as hard as possible to smear the woman.

Atlas Has Shrugged
ChairmanSanchez
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2016, 09:18:04 PM »

The Passion of Ayn Rand (1999). It was a crappy TV movie based on the book I just finished by Rand's one time best friend and briefly, official biographer, which detailed her life from Russia to her death.

I thought the movie distorted the book (which was very fair IMO) and portrayed Rand in a horrible light while whitewashing Nathaniel Brandon, who was literally everything bad about Ayn Rand on steroids, as some type of "tortured genius" which I found to be disgusting. They had the opportunity to make a compelling movie around the events of the Rand-Brandon affair, but instead they just had Helen Mirren trying as hard as possible to smear the woman.

You might be surprised to hear me say this, but even though I despise Rand, I do think she's interesting enough and tragic enough to merit an unflinching, warts-and-all-but-at-least-semi-sympathetic-on-a-personal-level biopic, rather than adulation or demonization.
.....did you know I was daydreaming about kinda sorta writing a semi-serious screenplay of such a thing in Intro Humanities yesterday? Let's do it.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies