The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 07:03:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  The last movie you've seen thread 2016 (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: The last movie you've seen thread 2016  (Read 56549 times)
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -0.70

« on: November 10, 2014, 09:25:59 AM »

I didn't much care for it. Too much cheap Sci-Fi mumbo jumbo (Gravity this, Gravity that!) and too much plain bad dialogue.

I'm ok with cheesy sentimentalism but this just wasn't good enough to carry the weight of the message.

Also, if you're making a twist movie it can't be this fricking obvious. 

In my opinion Nolan has gotten progressively worse. I think Memento remains one of his best movies.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2014, 05:17:33 AM »

Birdman or (The Unexpected Virtue of Ignorance)

Brilliant.

Watched this yesterday as well. I really liked it as well. I'm very happy they didn't fall for some of the too obvious clicheed ending possibilities they toyed with.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2015, 08:06:49 PM »

I saw Jupiter Ascending and agree with realisticidealist almost entirely, which I think might actually be a first for our respective tastes in big-budget action-and-heroics movies. (Except for having Speed Racer and Cloud Atlas among his favorite movies. I...really, really don't agree with that part.) I particularly enjoyed that the conflict was, technically, 'resolved' about halfway through in a sequence of bureaucratic comedy featuring a Terry Gilliam cameo, and the rest of the movie was basically just the heroes forcing the villains to abide by the relevant inheritance laws.

I don't want to say that it's getting such bad reviews largely because it has a female lead, but...

One of the reviews I read panning it actually made the point that the female lead was so lame and dependent on others that it couldn't give it any feminism points. I haven't seen it though.

American Sniper was my last. What sh*t.

Also saw We Are The Best, a Swedish movie. Really cute and sweet.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2015, 08:46:37 AM »

When I was twelve years old, my grandmother died and my bereaved grandfather was, within months, diagnosed with Alzheimer's. He was eighty years old at the time and was lucky enough to have already had and retired from a full career, raised children and seen grandchildren's childhoods, and come to terms with the fact of his old age; but the diagnosis interrupted his grief and so his wife never really left him. Even at the very end of his life five years later he'd still expect her to be there when he woke up every morning.

He had been, and it does no good to sugarcoat this, something of a hidebound and intransigent Mid-Atlantic lace-curtain-Irish oligarch, staunchly Republican and an apologist for the oil industry in which he had been an executive. Yet in his decline, in which he was cared for primarily by his youngest son, my father, he showed astounding amounts of grace and patience and openness of heart, not because of his condition--I would never dream of saying that about Alzheimer's--but in response to it, treating it, for as long as he was able to (and his ability did diminish as time went on), as an enemy to be faced and worked against rather than succumbed to. He finally died at the tail end of 2010 after a coma of four days, and it was difficult to find a Catholic church to hold his funeral, because the Christmas season was already so busy.

I saw Still Alice this evening and this is a film that is going to stay with me for a long time.

Can't think of anything appropriate to say but I wanted to acknowledge that I read this and took something from it.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 06:07:09 AM »

Dogcatcher which was pretty good and haunting. Crazy story, can't believe I never heard about it before.

Kung Fury which was stupid but pretty entertaining.
Gustaf
Moderators
Atlas Star

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2016, 09:55:40 AM »

I watched The Lobster. Very enjoyable, I like my dark humour.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies