What's your religion? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:18:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  What's your religion? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ?
opeboist

atheist

Catholic

Anglican

Protestant

other Christian

Jeiwsh

Muslim

other

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 73

Author Topic: What's your religion?  (Read 11836 times)
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« on: April 18, 2005, 04:32:03 PM »

The heretic church.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2005, 05:59:30 PM »

My point is that the Church of England was founded in sin. The sins of Henry VIII. His belief that he had the RIGHT to divorce is more of his own vanity then any belief in true scripture. He was like the kid who never got what he wanted and got pissed and said, "I'm taking my ball and going home."
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2005, 12:07:17 AM »

I think it would be naive to suggest that Pope Clement VII acted from the purest of motives. His decision to deny Henry VIII an annulment was partially based, no doubt, in his fear of the Holy Roman Emperor. There were, after all, theological doubts relating to the validity of Henry's marriage to Catherine; she had previously been married to Henry's elder brother, Arthur.

I was under the impression Henry had to seek special Papal dispensation to marry Catherine, so how he could then turn around and claim some years later his marriage was annullable on the basis it was doctrinally invalid is beyond me.
Pope Julius II did grant a papal dispensation, but there were some complications. The Pope first granted the dispensation in a private brief, but later did so again in a bull; I understand, moreover, that it was charged that the dispensation was illegally obtained in the first place.

I'm not to keen on English history Pete and Em so thanks for giving me more info about it. Smiley
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies