Rendell weighs in on the Kerry campaign and his political future...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 05:49:01 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Rendell weighs in on the Kerry campaign and his political future...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Rendell weighs in on the Kerry campaign and his political future...  (Read 1333 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2005, 01:24:56 PM »
« edited: April 06, 2005, 01:37:21 PM by nickshepDEM »

Speaking at Harvard Law School, Governor Rendell's assessment of John Kerry's presidential campaign last year is characterised by the Boston Globe thus: "it oversimplified the Democratic message, offering easy to blur assertions rather than more detailed explanations that could have made differences vivid." It doesn't stop there. "How many of the students know the difference between the Kerry and Bush economic programs, he asks? Or the contrasting approaches to healthcare? A couple of hands go up in a crowd of 35 or 40."

Rendell said that voters saw the same messages coming from both campaigns, with Kerry failing to make clear any distinctive reasons to vote for him. "The fault, he says diplomatically, goes more to the political consultants than to the candidate," the Globe reports. It also quotes Rendell as saying that the "Democrats must repackage their message." for example by portraying themselves as anti-assault weapon, rather than pro-gun control, or as against government intervention in personal lives, rather than simply pro-choice.

Asked if he had presidential ambitions, Rendell said: "To the extent that you can run for president post-2006 [when Rendell must run for re-election], I would take a look at it." To the Boston Globe, the appeal of Governor Rendell is clear: "Not just a big-state governor but one who has proved that he can win in a swing state."
AuH2O
YaBB God

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 04:01:22 PM »

You know, that's why for a Democrat I kind of like Rendell (not any of his views of course).

"To the extent you can run for President post-2006..."

I mean, is that money or what? Makes it sound like after 2006 there are new restrictions on running for President. By the way, I talked about Rendell running like months ago, so I'm not surprised in the least.
TomC
TCash101
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2005, 09:23:51 PM »

I like Rendell, but I don't expect him to run.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2005, 03:24:50 AM »

I like Rendell, but I don't expect him to run.

Wow, he gets support from out of state.  RENDELL FOR PRESIDENT IN 2008!!!!
skybridge
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2005, 04:51:31 AM »

Plenty of people will say things they refute in 2008. Plenty of people will run in 2008, especially since the election wont potentially dethrone an incumbent. The lists for both sides are pretty long already, but nothing but speculative (though fun speculations, nevertheless), so what's this prove?
danwxman

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2005, 11:41:36 AM »

Rendell is so much of a straight-talker...I don't know if he's Presidential. Of course I'd support him if he ran.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2005, 11:50:40 AM »

Rendell is so much of a straight-talker...

That's why you can catch him LIVE, only on Post Game Live on Comcast Sports Net. Every Sunday night after the Eagles!

He's not running for President in 2008.
danwxman

« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2005, 11:52:49 AM »

That's why you can catch him LIVE, only on Post Game Live on Comcast Sports Net. Every Sunday night after the Eagles!

I can't wait until he is re-elected. That should shut you up for...wait, even that probably won't shut you up.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2005, 11:57:25 AM »

I can't wait until he is re-elected. That should shut you up for...wait, even that probably won't shut you up.

Na, nothing will shut me up. Too bad, isn't it?

Will Eddie have campaign events on Post Game Live? Or how about "Eat a cheesesteak for a vote" where "Governor" Rendell eats a cheesesteak for everyone that pledges to vote for him?
MissCatholic

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2005, 12:17:30 PM »

Has Rendall cut taxes or balanced the bugdet?
danwxman

« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2005, 02:33:42 PM »

Has Rendall cut taxes or balanced the bugdet?

His original plan was to raise the personal income tax and use gambling revenues to ELIMINATE property taxes, but the Republicans in the General Assembly shot down his personal income tax hike as too high. So instead the personal income tax was raised slightly and slot machines were legalized and we only have a property tax "reduction." But even with the slightly raised personal income tax, we still have one of the lowest in the country. He was really adament about legalizing slots to lower or eliminate property taxes, arguing that pretty much everything else is just tax shifting. The property tax reductions are estimated to be between $150 and $600 annually, but they won't occur to until the slot machine money starts flowing (which unfortunately for Rendell will be 2007ish).

There are several proposals floating around the General Assembly to eliminate property taxes through a state sales tax on everything, Rendell has actually said he is open to looking at some other options. I don't think that will ever go through here though.

In terms of business taxes, he has proposed to cut the corporate net income tax by 30%, to make Pennsylvania more competitive with surrounding states.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies