Florida
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 11:14:17 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  Florida
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Florida  (Read 10741 times)
John

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 10, 2003, 02:24:18 PM »

If Bush will win 53 to 40, then who gets the other 7 percent? I highly doubt the Greens would get that kind of vote, especially if Dean is the nominee...are you predicting someone else to run as an independent who will do reasonably well?
Nader will get the 7%
John

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2003, 01:09:07 PM »

Here is A Question
Will Florida Be too Close to Call or
will Bush Win in LandSide
Michael Z
Mike
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -5.88, S: -4.72

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2003, 03:03:00 PM »

I think Florida has gradually become a solid Republican state under Jeb Bush's governorship. This was reflected when Bush soundly defeated Democrat Bill McBride in last year's gubernatorial elections.

My guess is GWB will win the state by at least 5 percent next year.
CHRISTOPHER MICHAE
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2003, 03:08:41 PM »

I think Florida has gradually become a solid Republican state under Jeb Bush's governorship. This was reflected when Bush soundly defeated Democrat Bill McBride in last year's gubernatorial elections.

I wouldn't count your chickens before they hatch. Those Floridians who voted for Gore will vote for for the DEM's Candidate, so long as it's not Dean. I can see Florida going to Clark or Edwards if they are the nominees.
Ryan
ryanmasc

« Reply #29 on: December 12, 2003, 03:37:35 PM »

I agree Mike

and since I just realised there was no eartshattering reason to post those three words Cheesy let me say something more about Florida.

People often claim that Florida is the least Republican state in the South. I beg to differ, albeit slightly.

Florida is the least CONSERVATIVE REPUBLICAN state in the South. Its still majority Republican!!!
There is of course a solid conservative base in Florida but it is comparatively much smaller compared to the surrounding states. Most republicans in Florida are Moderates. Together with the conservatives they form a solid and unbeatable majority- when the candidate is seen as sufficiently moderate, at least as compared to the democrat. When the reverse occurs there is erosion in the vote. That is why Jeb Bush won in 2002 and conversely why Sen. Nelson won in 2000 over an opponent seen as too extreme.

If you want more evidence that these moderates I speak of are largely Republican leaning and not just solid independents........Florida has the most republican state legislature in the ENTIRE SOUTH and for a state its size, a remarkably republican congressional delegation (18-7 GOP advantage)
All of these huge majorities are regularly elected with large margins.
How does this occur in the supposedly LEAST REPUBLICAN SOUTHERN STATE??

Well in a nutshell a large number of these elected representatives tend to be moderates who appeal to the many other republican moderates I mentioned but are still able to satisfy conservatives and thus keep the flock together.

This is what Bush has to do in 2004. However I submit it's a much easier task because there is a REPUBLICAN majority who want to believe that the GOP candidate is the best choice. This is a better proposition as compared to a state like Penn. where perhaps a lot of generally uncommitted or even democrat leaning voters must be won over.

Besides while Bush has certainly been a conservative President he has been moderate on issues important to Florida voters. He has demonstrated none of the radical extremism that the Florida Democrats did a good job of tarring him with in 2000. (better than they were able in most other moderate states)

Thus I submit that while Florida is competitive and I don't see how it wouldn't be..............Bush is well ahead in the game and even in a reasonably close race can be expected to win Florida.
jravnsbo

« Reply #30 on: December 13, 2003, 10:12:16 PM »

what abou tthe senate race factor?  Doesn't nominating Martinez help the GOP to mobilize Hispanic voters to elect a hispanic Senator?

Question--has there ever been a hispanic senator?  Maybe there is an obvious one I'm missing, so really asking.
DarthKosh

« Reply #31 on: December 14, 2003, 01:09:44 PM »

what abou tthe senate race factor?  Doesn't nominating Martinez help the GOP to mobilize Hispanic voters to elect a hispanic Senator?

Question--has there ever been a hispanic senator?  Maybe there is an obvious one I'm missing, so really asking.

It will help get out the Cuban vote big time.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #32 on: April 10, 2005, 06:41:54 PM »

Michael Z wins!
Soup18
Rookie

« Reply #33 on: April 10, 2005, 07:56:09 PM »

Ryan's analysis was great.
King
intermoderate
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #34 on: April 10, 2005, 08:02:10 PM »

What about John's analysis?  Wink

bush will win 53 to 40 over Dean & Going on win a 2nd Term in office

Also, Virginia almost beat Florida as the LEAST REPUBLICAN SOUTHERN STATE.  Just a 1 or 2 point swing...
Soup18
Rookie

« Reply #35 on: April 10, 2005, 08:07:00 PM »

bush will win 53 to 40 over Dean & Going on win a 2nd Term in office

LOL

If Virginia had hurricanes and Jeb for gov, they would have been much more Republican.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies