Pro-choice, pro-life poll
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 02:05:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Pro-choice, pro-life poll
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Pro-choice, pro-life poll  (Read 9181 times)
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 12, 2005, 10:55:45 PM »

56% pro-choice, 38% pro-life amoung the 50 states (NO DC).
I just guessed that DC might be 90% pro-choice, it wasn't polled.

http://www.surveyusa.com/50State2005/50StateAbortion0805SortedbyProLife.htm
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2005, 01:45:41 AM »

Before you know who says anything about PA, Republicans were overpolled in this.  Also the numbers dropped for pro-choice drastically compared to last time in PA.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2005, 01:57:34 AM »

The only thing about this poll is that I have no idea what question was asked.  A lot of people would say theyre pro-choice - to an extent.  I would be one of those people, but I would also say I'm strongly pro-life.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2005, 02:07:19 AM »

The only thing about this poll is that I have no idea what question was asked.  A lot of people would say theyre pro-choice - to an extent.  I would be one of those people, but I would also say I'm strongly pro-life.

I believe this was the question.

"On abortion, are you pro-life? Or pro-choice?"
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2005, 02:08:38 AM »

Exactly. It's a very broad question.  But I guess it's fair game for your map.

I'm just saying it doesn't really show each state's position on abortion.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2005, 02:25:08 AM »

What happened to North Dakota?
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2005, 02:36:58 AM »

Let's face it.  It really depends on what you mean by "pro-life" and "pro-choice."   

A number of "pro-choice" people oppose  abortions without parental consent/court order for minors, partial birth abortions, or public funding for abortions and may support counseling for alternatives to abortion.  Likewise, "pro-life" people may support abortions if there is a medical need (less than if it endangers the mother's life) or if the embryo is suffering from severe birth defects.

It's not a black and white issue.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2005, 02:49:34 AM »

Tie

Let's face it.  It really depends on what you mean by "pro-life" and "pro-choice."   

A number of "pro-choice" people oppose  abortions without parental consent/court order for minors, partial birth abortions, or public funding for abortions and may support counseling for alternatives to abortion.  Likewise, "pro-life" people may support abortions if there is a medical need (less than if it endangers the mother's life) or if the embryo is suffering from severe birth defects.

Well, they self-select which catagory they wish to be in. If you'd rather, we could talk about the poll that has 65% want Roe vs. Wade upheld, vs. 29% want it struck down.
J. J.
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2005, 03:02:43 AM »

Tie

Well, they self-select which catagory they wish to be in. If you'd rather, we could talk about the poll that has 65% want Roe vs. Wade upheld, vs. 29% want it struck down.

How many of those have actually read the decision.  I disagree that the "liberty clause" of the 14th Amendment, all by itself, creates a prohibition on a state regulating a surgical procedure, but I might find other compelling constitutional arguments in favor of retaining the substance of Roe v. Wade.

Those polling numbers don't reflect the nuances of public opinion.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2005, 02:42:41 PM »

DC 90% pro-choice?  You do realize the city is like 60% black, right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2005, 02:44:29 PM »

DC 90% pro-choice?  You do realize the city is like 60% black, right?

What does that have to do with anything? Even for being black, DC blacks are quite liberal. They went 97-3 for Kerry, I believe.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2005, 02:52:53 PM »

Again, a horrendous question and one that doesn't relate to laws on abortion. The answer for pro-choice can range from only in the 1st trimester with restrictions to opebo-like support for abortion while answers for pro-life can range from fully against to against in the 3rd trimester. Throw this one out.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2005, 02:55:23 PM »

Again, a horrendous question and one that doesn't relate to laws on abortion. The answer for pro-choice can range from only in the 1st trimester with restrictions to opebo-like support for abortion while answers for pro-life can range from fully against to against in the 3rd trimester. Throw this one out.

Pro-choice people are generally for the right to choose. As I said, Roe vs. Wade has 65%-29% support. The question is, how is this a negative wedge issue for the Democrats?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2005, 03:04:04 PM »

Pro-Roe is not the same as pro-choice. Stop putting that strawman out there.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2005, 07:54:11 PM »

Pro-Roe is not the same as pro-choice. Stop putting that strawman out there.

Well, pro-choice still does pretty well.
TheresNoMoney
Scoonie
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.25, S: -2.72

« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2005, 08:26:46 PM »

I define pro-life as people who want to criminalize abortion except in the cases of rape, incest or the health of the mother.

Those who want restrictions like parental notification and a ban on late-term abortions are still pro-choice.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2005, 08:30:30 PM »

DC 90% pro-choice? You do realize the city is like 60% black, right?

What does that have to do with anything? Even for being black, DC blacks are quite liberal. They went 97-3 for Kerry, I believe.
Just because they voted overwhelmingly for Kerry doesn't mean they're 90% pro-choice.  Think about it.  The nation's capital being NINETY percent pro-choice?  NINETY[/b]?!  Pretty hopeful, but no.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2005, 08:33:23 PM »
« Edited: September 13, 2005, 08:35:27 PM by riceowl315 »

Here's a CBS News poll from July that asks better questions:

"What is your personal feeling about abortion? (1) It should be permitted in all cases. (2) It should be permitted, but subject to greater restrictions than it is now. (3) It should be permitted only in cases such as rape, incest and to save the woman's life. OR, (4) It should only be permitted to save the woman's life."

All Cases - 28%
Greater Restrictions - 15%
Rape, Incest, Woman's Life - 33%
Only Woman's Life - 15%
Never - 5%
Unsure - 4%

From July 13-14:
"Would you favor or oppose requiring that at least one parent be told before a girl under 18 years of age could have an abortion?"

Favor: 80%
Oppose: 17%
Unsure: 3%

Take what you will.

○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2005, 02:33:07 AM »

DC 90% pro-choice? You do realize the city is like 60% black, right?

Just because they voted overwhelmingly for Kerry doesn't mean they're 90% pro-choice.  Think about it.  The nation's capital being NINETY percent pro-choice?  NINETY[/b]?!  Pretty hopeful, but no.

Maybe you're right, because of the undecideds. There's no way that pro-life are more than single digit in DC, though. The only state where Bush didn't run significantly better than the pro-life percentage was Louisiana, and I don't think I should have to point out that this recent SUSA poll might not agree with previous polls, since the most liberal city just got destroyed.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies