What are the most socially liberal towns/counties in the South? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 08:00:00 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  What are the most socially liberal towns/counties in the South? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What are the most socially liberal towns/counties in the South?  (Read 28770 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: June 14, 2005, 01:34:08 AM »
« edited: June 14, 2005, 11:27:40 AM by Justice Ernest »

I remember seeing somewhere that, had the largest county in the state not voted, SC would have gone Democratic.  I'm going to assume that the largest county is in Columbia, the conservative state capital.  My town Charleston almost went Democratic, going Bush 52-47.  We've got a socially liberal mayor, Joe Riley, too, who's had the job for decades (he led a march to get rid of the Confederate flag on the State capital).  But generally the most Democratic counties are where the most blacks are, and blacks aren't really social liberal (I think they're generally more populist, in the old sense of the term).  So SC doesn't really have any socially liberal towns or counties.  Smiley

Greenville County, home of Bob Jones University and heart of the upstate Bible Belt is SC's largest county, but even subtracting out its 2-1 pro Bush vote wouldn't affect the result.  Last time knocking out the results of a single SC county could have affected the result was 1980 when subtracting either Greenville or Lexington would have given Carter the state.  South Carolina doesn't really have a socially liberal area, it's just that the upstate's arch social conservatism makes the coast's social moderatism stand out in comparison.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2005, 11:35:22 AM »

Really?  I ought to dig up the post that said SC would have gone Kerry subtracting the largest county (I found it hard to believe, but not impossible).  Thanks for the info Ernest.

The SC margin of victory for Bush in 2004 was less than the total population of Greenville County, but not everyone there voted, nor were all of their votes for Bush.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies