"Mohammed" now the most common men's name in Oslo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 12:03:21 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  "Mohammed" now the most common men's name in Oslo
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: "Mohammed" now the most common men's name in Oslo  (Read 1176 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 03, 2014, 08:07:39 AM »

Official numbers from Statistics Norway:

Mohammed is now the most common name for men in Norway's capital city Oslo, it appears.

"It is very exciting," Jorgen Ouren of Statistics Norway tells The Local news website. A recent count of the city's population showed more than 4,800 men and boys in the city are called Mohammed, beating out other popular names like Jan and Per. Although Mohammed - with various spellings - has been the favourite name for baby boys in Oslo for the past four years, this is the first time it has also topped the men's list.

And it's not only in Norway that the name is gaining ground. The UK's Office for National Statistics says Mohammed was the most common name parents gave to baby boys in England and Wales in 2013.

Norwegian Muslims made up around 150,000 of Norway's 4.5 million people in 2012, the website On Islam says, mainly from Pakistani, Somali, Iraqi and Moroccan backgrounds. But Norway also has Europe's largest anti-Islam organisation, called Stop Islamization of Norway. It was set up in 2008 and is thought to have more than 3,000 members.

Outside the Norwegian capital, Filip is the most popular name for newborn boys, while Emma is the favourite for girls.

http://www.bbc.com/news/blogs-news-from-elsewhere-28982803
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2014, 08:16:18 AM »

Official numbers from Statistics Norway:

Mohammed is now the most common name for men in Norway's capital city Oslo, it appears.

"It is very exciting," Jorgen Ouren of Statistics Norway tells The Local news website.

Always surprising what turns some people on...
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »

Naming your kid Mohammed is really dumb because, all things being equal, they're going to receive less résumé callbacks than they're peers with Norwegian names   
Kushahontas
floating_to_sea
Kenya

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2014, 09:05:27 AM »

yuck
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2014, 10:45:48 AM »

Always hard to tell if these is because of a Muslim population boom or just because Muslims only have like 5 names whereas Whites have about 30.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.00, S: -5.65

« Reply #5 on: September 03, 2014, 10:50:44 AM »

Norwegian Muslims made up around 150,000 of Norway's 4.5 million people in 2012, the website On Islam says, mainly from Pakistani, Somali, Iraqi and Moroccan backgrounds.

Norway has 5.1 million inhabitants. The number 4.5 must be from around 2000 or the early 2000s. Tongue Although Norway's population is growing the fastest of any European nation after Turkey, and perhaps Ireland, it's certainly not growing that fast. Tongue
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2014, 10:52:21 AM »

Naming your kid Mohammed is really dumb because, all things being equal, they're going to receive less résumé callbacks than they're peers with Norwegian names  

Worse still because you can't ever photograph them or even make an innocent drawing of your child, depicting his face. Tongue
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2014, 11:27:16 AM »

Always hard to tell if these is because of a Muslim population boom or just because Muslims only have like 5 names whereas Whites have about 30.

No these things are easy to tell. It's beacuse Muslims have relative few names and Muslim immigrants in Europe are mostly urban.
Indy Texas
independentTX
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: -3.48

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 01:40:04 PM »

...Muslims usually name their kids after people mentioned in the Koran or after one of the 99 qualities of God. Examples of the first would be Jibril (Gabriel), Mariam (Mary), Issa (Jesus), Khadijah (Mohammed's wife) and of course Mohammed. Examples of the second would be Abd el-Rahman / Abdulrahman (merciful) or Abd el-Karim /Abdelkarim (generous). Whatever it is it's more than 5.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2014, 07:35:24 PM »

I'm not sure I'd call this "exciting" but I'm not surprised either, mainly because of the commonality of the name, as people have mentioned before. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the most common surname in several parts of Southern California was "Nguyen", for example.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2014, 09:44:30 PM »

I'm not sure I'd call this "exciting" but I'm not surprised either, mainly because of the commonality of the name, as people have mentioned before. I wouldn't at all be surprised if the most common surname in several parts of Southern California was "Nguyen", for example.

That's a little different though, since around half of all Vietnamese have that as their last name.
eric82oslo
Junior Chimp
Norway

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2014, 09:46:37 PM »

That's a little different though, since around half of all Vietnamese have that as their last name.

1/3 of all muslims have Muhammed as their name as well...
memphis
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2014, 10:37:35 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kiesSlEbJ_8
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies