The Election in Northern Ireland
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 03:51:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  The Election in Northern Ireland
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: The Election in Northern Ireland  (Read 6978 times)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2005, 07:02:52 AM »

Very interesting Kevin Smiley
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2005, 01:23:43 PM »

What is the party that supports North Irelands independence and did they win any seats?
Emsworth
Junior Chimp

« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2005, 05:54:35 PM »

What is the party that supports North Irelands independence and did they win any seats?
I'm not aware of parties that support NI independence; almost all major parties are either Unionist (i.e., in favor of staying in the UK) or Nationalist (in favor of a united Ireland). Both major nationalist parties, Sinn Féin and the SDLP, have seats in the House of Commons, though Sinn Féin MPs refuse to take the oath of allegiance, and therefore cannot sit.
Peter
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.77, S: -7.48

« Reply #28 on: April 26, 2005, 06:39:30 PM »
« Edited: April 26, 2005, 06:57:03 PM by Peter Bell »

The only party that I know of that supports this is Ulster Third Way. Its had very little success and to my knowledge has only contested local elections as opposed to Assembly or Westminster elections.

EDIT: Apparently, there was a party called Ulster Indpendent that contested seats in 1998 for the Assembly, didn't get anywhere though.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2005, 07:47:00 AM »

They are not running, at least not in the Westminmster elections. Don't know about the local elections.
Kevinstat

« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2005, 10:59:55 PM »

Just disagree over S. Belfast, though I wouldn't be surprised in your call is correct.

I just changed my prediction regarding South Belfast from a UUP win to a DUP win.  It wasn't just because of your post.  Even when I first made the prediction it seemed like all the signs (apart from which party has done better there in past elections) were pointing in the DUP's favor, but I didn't like the picture I saw of Sprat next to Molyneaux and Smyth and looked for evidence to support a UUP victory, which I found in the fact that McGimpsey had been the leading UUP candidate in the 2003 Assembly election where his party had led the DUP by 6 percentage points in the first count totals.  But I've had a feeling for a while that Sprat will win, maybe by a few percentage points or more, and that feeling hasn't changed so I decided to change my prediction.  I haven't seen any polls for that race so it could be that McGimpsey has moved into the lead in the polls after being down (not that I know that he was down in the polls) and that I'm changing my prediction in the opposite direction as most people who are changing their expectation regarding this race.  I'll proverbially kick myself if McGimpsey wins this race and all my other Westminster predictions are correct, but I know it's just a fun predictions contest (with no money lost), so I'll be fine whatever happens.

Sincerely,

Kevin Lamoreau
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies