NY-01: Siena: Rep. Bishop (D) up 10
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:12:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 House Election Polls
  NY-01: Siena: Rep. Bishop (D) up 10
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: NY-01: Siena: Rep. Bishop (D) up 10  (Read 934 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: September 17, 2014, 06:04:30 PM »

Report coming.

Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2014, 06:08:19 PM »

Yeah, Bishop isn't going to lose. Zeldin already ran against him and lost, he's just being a sore loser now. Bishop probably holds this district til he retires, and then Republicans pick it up.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2014, 06:16:19 PM »
« Edited: September 17, 2014, 06:20:39 PM by cinyc »

I don't like this poll.  It doesn't show a Republican ahead so it is junk.  24% of Republicans are voting for Bishop?  This isn't California, it's Suffolk County, New York.  That's not going to happen.   Plus, Newsday is a biased liberal source that can't be trusted.   And Siena is a horrible poster.  /sarcasm

More seriously, Cuomo is up 52-32-6 with 9% undecided.  There's not much love for the Green candidate in Eastern Suffolk County, either, compared to Upstate.

Crosstabs here.
Brittain33
brittain33
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2014, 07:39:04 PM »

No Republican Jewish caucus in 2015, it would seem.
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2014, 07:44:25 PM »

I don't like this poll.  It doesn't show a Republican ahead so it is junk.  24% of Republicans are voting for Bishop?  This isn't California, it's Suffolk County, New York.  That's not going to happen.   Plus, Newsday is a biased liberal source that can't be trusted.   And Siena is a horrible poster.  /sarcasm

More seriously, Cuomo is up 52-32-6 with 9% undecided.  There's not much love for the Green candidate in Eastern Suffolk County, either, compared to Upstate.

Crosstabs here.

Last time I checked Bishop didn't threaten to a throw a reporter off a balcony and then get indicted.

If that happened, yes, it would be absolutely silly to show 24% of Republicans backing him.
Dixie Reborn
BeyondTruthAndIdeals
Canada

« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:34 PM »

No Republican Jewish caucus in 2015, it would seem.

Since when did we need a Jewish caucus?
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2014, 07:45:52 PM »

Crosstabs here.

Hawkins got less than 1% in Suffolk in 2010. Six percent would still be huge for him.
Maxwell
mah519
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.96

« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2014, 08:10:44 PM »

Crosstabs here.

Last time I checked Bishop didn't threaten to a throw a reporter off a balcony and then get indicted.

If that happened, yes, it would be absolutely silly to show 24% of Republicans backing him.

see the /sarcasm.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2014, 08:27:43 PM »

Crosstabs here.

see the /sarcasm.

Well, IceSpear is right that my sarcasm was partially directed at his comment in the NY-11 thread, but more generally directed toward those who try to unskew polls just because they don't like the result.  Unskewing polls because of supposedly erroneous crosstabs didn't work in 2012.  It's not going to work in 2014, either.

I take polls at face value for what they are - a snapshot of the race at a particular time by a particular pollster using that pollster's particular methodology.  Some pollsters might be better than others, but trends in a particular pollster's polls at least tells us something about the general direction of the race, even if they're the worst pollster in the world.  I'm not doubting a poll's veracity because of the TV network or newspaper that sponsored it.  And I don't treat any pollster as the gold standard.  Doing well in 2012 doesn't mean their polls will do well in 2014.  Mason-Dixon fell from grace last cycle.  Who's to say PPP won't tank this cycle or Rasmussen won't improve?  We won't know until election day.

Internals and internals done for an interest group are generally suspect, though, because they often skew their release to get the result they want.
KCDem

« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2014, 01:39:49 AM »

Dominating!
The Simpsons Cinematic Universe
MustCrushCapitalism
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.23, S: -2.78

« Reply #10 on: September 19, 2014, 07:42:04 AM »

This is a surprise. I've spoken to quite a few people in my area who seem to think of Bishop as corrupt.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: September 19, 2014, 05:58:47 PM »

Crosstabs here.

If Columbia County, and Hudson in particular, is at all representative of Upstate NY that certainly rings a bell. Green is the dominate religion up here, and I mean to use that term - it's akin to theological, as opposed to anything remotely data based driven, or well based on trying to balance in a way I think at all reasonable, the costs versus benefits of going green. In the meantime, in Hudson we pay more in utility bills, because of a self imposed it must be from 75% renewable energy sources mandate. Sure it squeezes many pay check to pay check folks, but hey, it's respecting the planet on which we are so privileged to stride.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2014, 06:39:59 PM »

If Columbia County, and Hudson in particular, is at all representative of Upstate NY that certainly rings a bell. Green is the dominate religion up here, and I mean to use that term - it's akin to theological, as opposed to anything remotely data based driven, or well based on trying to balance in a way I think at all reasonable, the costs versus benefits of going green. In the meantime, in Hudson we pay more in utility bills, because of a self imposed it must be from 75% renewable energy sources mandate. Sure it squeezes many pay check to pay check folks, but hey, it's respecting the planet on which we are so privileged to stride.

Columbia County may be the most Green county Upstate, but I don't think it is typical.  It certainly is one of the more Democratic counties in Upstate New York, unlike most ruralish counties in Central and Western New York.  It has some Upstate cousins, like Tompkins (Ithaca) and to a lesser extent, Ulster and Greene Counties across the river, but it's somewhat in a league all its own.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies