GOP Dark Horses that can come out of nowhere, and win big (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 10:54:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  GOP Dark Horses that can come out of nowhere, and win big (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who are the most possible GOP dark horses?
(R-VA) Sen. George Allen

(R-MN) Sen. Norm Coleman

(R-MN) Gov. Tim Pawlenty

(R-MS) Gov. Haley Barbour

(R-KS) Sen. Sam Brownback

OTHER

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 40

Author Topic: GOP Dark Horses that can come out of nowhere, and win big  (Read 3145 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

« on: April 09, 2005, 02:46:54 PM »

"The Republicans don't have "dark horses" and "insurgent" candidates.

Wait, let me rephrase that: They have them, but they just never win the nomination. With Republicans, the nomination always goes to whichever party leader's turn it is. That's why Nixon beat Rockefeller, Ford beat Reagan, Bush I beat Dole, Dole beat Buchanan, and Bush II beat McCain.

My guess is that it's Frist turn in '08. He is Senate Majority leader, after all. And being stiffer than a board left in a New Hampshire snowdrift didn't seem to hurt Bob Dole or George Bush I any." - james
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2005, 07:42:45 PM »
« Edited: April 10, 2005, 07:55:23 PM by nickshepDEM »

Here the best Dark Horse though Representative Jim Nussle. He is virtually clean from all scandals, is independently wealthy, and is a fluent speaker. Once he becomes Governor I hope he is considered for the Vice Presidency if not the Presidency.

I wouldnt say Nussle is "clean".

Nussle can be tied directly to the ballooning federal budget deficit. He is the chair of the budget committee.  He also has intern issues, he divorced his wife after an affair to marry one.

PBrunsel, what do you think about Republican Bob Vander Plaats?  Ive heard that he may run for Governor in 2006.  Some say he could do pretty well.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2005, 08:06:37 PM »

Interesting response from another board regarding Nussle running for Governor in 2006...

"How has Nussle been able to win in a Democratic leaning district? He appears and behaves as a moderate in public and at public forums. His newsletters sent out at taxpayer expense talk about what he is doing for his constituency (and he does get pork for projects in counties where he needs Democrat or no party votes - Dubuque/Clinton/Scott).

If his divorce didn't hurt him in 1996 and his marriage to a lobbyist in 2002 didn't hurt him in 2002 they're not going to hurt him now.

He's never shaken that young thoughtful nice boy that would never harm a soul image. People vote for him because he seems like a leader, a nice guy who will represent their best interests.

It doesn't matter who we put up against Nussle in 2006. He will have a whisper campaign out about all of our candidates during the primary - never traceable back to him. He will be cute at debates and make people chuckle but never truly answer the hard questions.

He is slippery, he is smart, and he will be well funded.

Don't think for a second the Governor's office is his last stop.

Jim Nussle is running for President.
'
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2005, 10:01:43 PM »

I think Taft's approval ratings are in the 30's.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies