Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:53:08 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 304815 times)
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1025 on: September 02, 2009, 06:14:33 PM »

At a certain point people will realize that regulating political parties in Atlasia is simply unconstitutional under the current power structure.

If anything, a comprehensive constitutional amendment would be necessary to effect the sort of change many want in political parties, but it is doubtful that such a thing could pass without a compelling impetus.

I also believe the bill to be unconstitutional.

What parts of it are not justifiable under Article V, Section 1, Clause 8?

That clause gives the Senate the ability to determine benefits given to organized political parties (as in, you could say that only organized political parties could be on ballots if we were to change to a system of election by party lists). However, it does not indicate that the private actions of party membership falls under the purview of the government.

This was intended to give them the benefit of being able to regulate their own membership, including channels through which they could do so. If you think it would be better, it could just be written to give the party a general right to do so, that they could write into their bylaws in whatever form they want.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1026 on: September 02, 2009, 07:02:29 PM »

Doesn't require legislation, IMO, just a declaration by the SoFA.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1027 on: September 02, 2009, 07:19:30 PM »

Doesn't require legislation, IMO, just a declaration by the SoFA.

I actually spoke to Earl on this matter once some time ago, & he said that he wanted to see legislation saying that parties could do that first.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1028 on: September 02, 2009, 07:35:10 PM »

In that case, just pass legislation granting parties the right to regulate their membership, without terms attached. Nothing else is needed.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1029 on: September 02, 2009, 07:36:34 PM »

Yeah, that's probably a good idea.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1030 on: September 02, 2009, 08:42:54 PM »

At a certain point people will realize that regulating political parties in Atlasia is simply unconstitutional under the current power structure.

If anything, a comprehensive constitutional amendment would be necessary to effect the sort of change many want in political parties, but it is doubtful that such a thing could pass without a compelling impetus.

I also believe the bill to be unconstitutional.

What parts of it are not justifiable under Article V, Section 1, Clause 8?

That clause gives the Senate the ability to determine benefits given to organized political parties (as in, you could say that only organized political parties could be on ballots if we were to change to a system of election by party lists). However, it does not indicate that the private actions of party membership falls under the purview of the government.

This was intended to give them the benefit of being able to regulate their own membership, including channels through which they could do so. If you think it would be better, it could just be written to give the party a general right to do so, that they could write into their bylaws in whatever form they want.

That would be the best course, especially because the current legislation is in direct contradiction of the DA bylaws. A law affirming the general right of parties to remove members by whatever means agreed upon in their bylaws, noting that the SoFA may be notified of such action, and that the person removed shall then be automatically registered as an unaffiliated independent would be appropriate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1031 on: September 02, 2009, 11:56:14 PM »

How about this?

Party Empowerment Act

Organized political parties shall have the power to regulate their membership.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #1032 on: September 03, 2009, 12:00:52 AM »

How about this?

Party Empowerment Act

I like that bill.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #1033 on: September 03, 2009, 12:13:29 AM »

How about this?

Party Empowerment Act

I like that bill.

Generally, simple is good.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1034 on: September 03, 2009, 08:15:53 AM »

How about this?

Party Empowerment Act

I'd be more than happy to modify it to that.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1035 on: September 03, 2009, 10:02:10 AM »

How about this?

Party Empowerment Act

I'd be more than happy to modify it to that.

It can't be simply that or you aren't doing anything.

First, it needs to include the words, "except where specifically denied by the Constitution or in statute."

Also, you should make clear that if a party removes a member, it shall be permitted to inform the SoFA to remove that member from it's list, as well as indicating that said individual shall thene be registered as an independent until they indicate otherwise.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 1.94, S: 4.70

« Reply #1036 on: September 03, 2009, 02:44:56 PM »

Too vague. The word "regulate" needs to be more thoroughly defined.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1037 on: September 03, 2009, 03:50:34 PM »

Why? The point is that the government has almost no role in party regulation. All this legislation can do is formalize avenues that parties may choose to use. For example, it has never been clear what power parties have to remove members. They can do it, but does the SoFA have to do anything? And can the person sign back up to the party?

The bill gives parties discretion and simply provides directive to the SoFA, which is exactly what it should do.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1038 on: September 03, 2009, 03:52:27 PM »

Why? The point is that the government has almost no role in party regulation. All this legislation can do is formalize avenues that parties may choose to use. For example, it has never been clear what power parties have to remove members. They can do it, but does the SoFA have to do anything? And can the person sign back up to the party?

The bill gives parties discretion and simply provides directive to the SoFA, which is exactly what it should do.

Question, do American political parties have the power to remove members?
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
« Reply #1039 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:04 PM »

Question: Do American parties only have a couple dozen members, in which over half of it's members are extremely active in the government, and where a high % of members actually hold some sort of office?
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1040 on: September 03, 2009, 03:59:17 PM »

I believe they do, although it is obviously not a commonly used ability and it is likely not very easy. I am not familiar enough with the charters of either major party though to fully answer the question.
Rowan
RowanBrandon
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #1041 on: September 03, 2009, 04:01:45 PM »

Well, either way, I don't believe parties should be able to kick out members. If someone wants to be a member of any party they want, then they should be able to, in my opinion.
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #1042 on: September 03, 2009, 04:10:31 PM »

I know that Canadian and French parties are allowed to temporarily 'exclude' members or kick out members. Something which is used more often than we think.
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -7.39

« Reply #1043 on: September 03, 2009, 04:12:14 PM »

Well, either way, I don't believe parties should be able to kick out members. If someone wants to be a member of any party they want, then they should be able to, in my opinion.

Nor do I, it does nothing to solve any problem we have going on right now other than giving parties some thin plausible deniability. If anyone is kicked out of a party, I'd encourage them to sue and see if such an action actually stands, anyway.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1044 on: September 03, 2009, 04:20:42 PM »

Nor do I, it does nothing to solve any problem we have going on right now other than giving parties some thin plausible deniability. If anyone is kicked out of a party, I'd encourage them to sue and see if such an action actually stands, anyway.

Umm, didn't your party kick Xahar out? We kicked Dan out for his abuse of our trust. I'm not really sure why extreme circumstances do not warrant that sort of power.

Not to mention, parties are private institutions. If you can fire someone for behavior unbecoming of an employee, why can't parties do the same?
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1045 on: September 03, 2009, 04:26:00 PM »

Umm, didn't your party kick Xahar out? We kicked Dan out for his abuse of our trust. I'm not really sure why extreme circumstances do not warrant that sort of power.

We considered it, but we didn't, no. And I never supported it anyway.

I just want it known that Im not happy about any of this either, as I was one of his most vocal defenders. But I still don't think expulsion from the party is a reasonable sentence.

Suspension, as Sib just said, is likely to happen anyway.
Purple State
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #1046 on: September 03, 2009, 04:30:42 PM »

We considered it, but we didn't, no. And I never supported it anyway.

I just want it known that Im not happy about any of this either, as I was one of his most vocal defenders. But I still don't think expulsion from the party is a reasonable sentence.

Suspension, as Sib just said, is likely to happen anyway.

Fair enough.

I do still believe (not sure if you responded before I edited it in) that as private institutions, parties have this right. The question then becomes what requirement does the government have to enforce that right. Obviously the current state of the law (no law) would indicate anyone could simply rejoin a party that expels them. The Senate may choose to simply deny the right of parties to do so by neglecting to pass this legislation. It would seem to be a valid path for the Senate to take, albeit one I disagree with.
Swedish Rainbow Capitalist Cheese
JOHN91043353
YaBB God
Sweden

« Reply #1047 on: September 04, 2009, 02:53:06 PM »

I would like to bring attention to the fact that Marokai's introduced Protection of Public Health Act, as well as the Bow Chicka Bow Wow Act (Although I like that name) are regional matters that should not be addressed by the federal senate.

As a citizen who cares a great deal about our regions' rights, I see this as a huge wrong on the part of Senator Marokai Blue. I hope that others that care about regional rights will agree with me on this issue. This should be left to the regions.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #1048 on: September 04, 2009, 03:06:26 PM »

However, if these things are prohibited by federal law, maybe a bill simply decriminalizing them and not making them legal would be effective in turn allowing the regions to set precendent in a way they cannot now
Marokai Backbeat
Marokai Blue
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1049 on: September 04, 2009, 03:12:35 PM »

I would like to bring attention to the fact that Marokai's introduced Protection of Public Health Act, as well as the Bow Chicka Bow Wow Act (Although I like that name) are regional matters that should not be addressed by the federal senate.

As a citizen who cares a great deal about our regions' rights, I see this as a huge wrong on the part of Senator Marokai Blue. I hope that others that care about regional rights will agree with me on this issue. This should be left to the regions.

It doesn't matter in the slightest. The former is a matter of public health and as such is most certainly in the jurisdiction of the federal government, and the latter is simply a matter of coming to terms with the reality of our modern society and growing up.

Unless you have a reason why this is harmful it's all "regional rights" nonsense just for the sake of it.
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 39 40 41 [42] 43 44 45 46 47 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies