Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 07:45:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 304880 times)
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #700 on: July 07, 2008, 09:10:25 AM »

That's not a bill we can pass since the Atlasian Senate doesn't have the power to change the UN just because we want to. So I'd ask DWTL to withdraw it.
Hold on, I'll read it first.  I have no idea if it is good or not, I just promised to introduce bills for people and did a copy/paste Tongue
It would have helped if MasterJedi had read it to the end, too. Else he would have noticed that it doesn't *exactly* do what he claims it does. (I'm still not supporting it in its current form.)
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #701 on: July 07, 2008, 11:01:14 AM »

That's not a bill we can pass since the Atlasian Senate doesn't have the power to change the UN just because we want to. So I'd ask DWTL to withdraw it.
Hold on, I'll read it first.  I have no idea if it is good or not, I just promised to introduce bills for people and did a copy/paste Tongue
It would have helped if MasterJedi had read it to the end, too. Else he would have noticed that it doesn't *exactly* do what he claims it does. (I'm still not supporting it in its current form.)

Yes I read it to the end and all it is is blackmail. Now if Xahar just proposed to pull out of the UN and let our other organization, the GTO (you can read about this in the Statute on the wiki)a true freedom organization without the crap countries deal with world issues I wouldn't have said anything. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #702 on: July 07, 2008, 11:35:37 AM »
« Edited: July 07, 2008, 11:50:37 AM by Ebowed »

Don't have the motivation to write out legislation for someone to copy & paste, but here are a few ideas that some of the more liberal Senators might be willing to take up:

1. Restoring the power to grant marriage licenses, which of course would be available to couples regardless of sexual orientation.  (I know I'm not the only person who is unhappy with the fact that the government essentially abolished the institution of marriage, which is not strictly religious.)
2. Remove the existing ban on gambling within D.C./federal territories.
3. Repeal the authorization of oil drilling in ANWR.
4. Repeal the ban on affirmative action in federal employment.
5. Mandate adequate public transportation systems in large cities
6. Remove the term limit on Presidents via constitutional amendment.
7. Restore the power to delegate foreign aid to the Senate (currently under the authority of the Secretary of External Affairs, a move done solely to slash foreign aid, which was in turn done to pass a budget)

Some of these will be unlikely to pass, but we need more debate around here, right?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #703 on: July 07, 2008, 02:54:09 PM »

My bill was just an idea to debate. I wouldn't mind if it fails, as long as it reaches the floor.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #704 on: July 07, 2008, 02:55:09 PM »

My bill was just an idea to debate. I wouldn't mind if it fails, as long as it reaches the floor.
Yea, but the fact is was unconstitutional makes debating it a waste of time.  Xahar, I know you love reseraching Smiley  Search BrandonH's failed bill to withdraw from the UN

Look around mid-2007, I was in the senate when it was being debated I believe
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #705 on: July 07, 2008, 02:56:39 PM »

Re: legalizing heroin.  Wouldn't it be simpler to overhaul the Controlled Substances Act entirely?  While I personally agree that if we wish to save lives, reduce crime, and remove the main funding of international terrorist organizations, it is imperative that heroin is legalized, I can think of many far less harmful substances which remain illegal at the federal level (magic mushrooms, for example).
Ebowed, I agree that legalizing all drugs is important, but I thought a good place to start is by legalizing the most popular and most connected to crime drugs.  Sure, magic mushrooms must be legal, but there does not seem to be as much activity with them.  I would support repealing the Controlled Substances Act, but such a thing never would pass.
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #706 on: July 07, 2008, 03:22:41 PM »

Allow me to make this known: I will generally support the decriminalization of a number of drugs which consenting adults can handle with an informed decision making process.

I will veto attempts to legalize the cruelest, most dangerous street drugs: Crystal Meth, Heroin, and Crack.  These are not drugs that bring "enjoyment" to the typical user.  These are life destroying drugs that encourage crime, and should be made as scarsely available as possible.

For the remaining drugs that can perhaps be put in the category of "lesser evils"—cannabis, steroids, and ecstacy, for example—let us follow the example of the final version of DWTL's "Decriminalization of LSD Act."
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #707 on: July 07, 2008, 03:38:10 PM »

Cannabis is legal in Atlasia IIRC.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #708 on: July 07, 2008, 03:39:13 PM »

That is true, or I would have had gone for that first.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #709 on: July 07, 2008, 03:40:31 PM »

Perhaps the "Legalization of Heroin Bill" will be scaled down in the senate, but I was disappointed with the compromises made in the Decriminalization of LSD bill because the government got nothing in return.  That was not a huge deal with LSD, but the tax and potential money to be made off heroin is not something to pass up.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #710 on: July 07, 2008, 03:48:19 PM »

So I figured, though I didn't catch it on a quick glance of the statute list.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #711 on: July 07, 2008, 03:49:05 PM »

Perhaps the "Legalization of Heroin Bill" will be scaled down in the senate, but I was disappointed with the compromises made in the Decriminalization of LSD bill because the government got nothing in return.  That was not a huge deal with LSD, but the tax and potential money to be made off heroin is not something to pass up.

That's blood money.  No thanks.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #712 on: July 07, 2008, 03:51:04 PM »

So I figured, though I didn't catch it on a quick glance of the statute list.
https://uselectionatlas.org/AFEWIKI/index.php/Marijuana_Legalization_and_Taxation_Act

More blood money for you Smiley
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #713 on: July 07, 2008, 06:04:16 PM »

Technically, no one has ever died from just taking marijuana.

I would argue that the amount of deaths from heroin would drastically, drastically decrease if it were legalized, but it's a difficult issue to change minds on.
Certainly the decreased gang violence would save lives beside anything else.  Although I think if the drug were legal and regulated it would be much safer.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #714 on: July 07, 2008, 09:00:43 PM »

I've considered introducing a bill that would eliminate the Controled Substances Act of 1970, but that would be a logistical nightmare.  I think it is more effective to slowly legalize drugs a few (possibly only one) at a time.  Eventually though I would hope to legalize them all.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #715 on: July 21, 2008, 03:45:12 AM »

Old idea I introduced, I forget what happened to it but it didn't pass:

Fairness to the Voter Amendment II

Section 1:
1. To change Article V, Section 2, Part IV of the constitution from reading ...tenth day before the election to ... fifth day before the election

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=57507.45
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #716 on: July 21, 2008, 06:21:06 AM »

Old idea I introduced, I forget what happened to it but it didn't pass:

Fairness to the Voter Amendment II

Section 1:
1. To change Article V, Section 2, Part IV of the constitution from reading ...tenth day before the election to ... fifth day before the election

https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=57507.45
That was the "Fairness to the Voter Amendment" which dealt with vote editing.  The original had to do with this issue as well, but the senate voted it was necessary for two seperate issues, and I don't believe I ever introduced this second one.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #717 on: August 08, 2008, 05:08:45 PM »

Amendment to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act

The following text is added to Section 3 of the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act:

5. Secession, defined as a territory or group of people declaring independence from the Atlasia.

The relevant section and act can be found here.

I've introduced this because, while I believe that secession can be prosecuted as treason under the current laws, the overall statue on these actions is vague and circumstantial. Clearing up these grey areas would probably help if Atlasia is faced with a situation like this again.

Colin, could you put this in Slot 7?
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #718 on: August 08, 2008, 05:17:50 PM »

Amendment to the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act

The following text is added to Section 3 of the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act:

5. Secession, defined as a territory or group of people declaring independence from the Atlasia.

The relevant section and act can be found here.

I've introduced this because, while I believe that secession can be prosecuted as treason under the current laws, the overall statue on these actions is vague and circumstantial. Clearing up these grey areas would probably help if Atlasia is faced with a situation like this again.

Colin, could you put this in Slot 7?
It would be funny to see this pass as the penalty would be not being able to vote in federal elections and hold federal office, something would be of little meaning to a seceded nation. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #719 on: August 08, 2008, 05:19:17 PM »

It might be worthwhile to add "or threatening" after "declaring".
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #720 on: August 08, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »

That would be funny, the amount of people to prosecute might skyrocket.  I sure hope Andy Jackson and Hashemite are the first people prosecuted
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #721 on: August 08, 2008, 05:22:21 PM »

That would be funny, the amount of people to prosecute might skyrocket.  I sure hope Andy Jackson and Hashemite are the first people prosecuted

Hashemite can't, since ex post facto laws are illegal. And Andy Jackson should be prosecuted. It is wrong to fight secession with secession.
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #722 on: August 10, 2008, 11:15:29 AM »

Amendment to Abolish the Southeast

1. The citizens of the Southeast region have consistently proven they are not capable of governing themselves
2. For the citizens' own protection, the Southeast regional government shall be abolished and the duties of governing the region shall be ceded to the various other regional governments
3. The cessions will go as follows:
  • The states of Texas and Louisiana will be hereafter governed by the Pacific regional government
  • The states of Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama will be hereafter governed by the Midwest regional government
  • The states of Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina will be hereafter governed by the Mideast regional government
  • The states of Georgia and Florida will be hereafter governed by the Northeast regional government

I'm about 5% serious
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #723 on: August 10, 2008, 11:17:16 AM »

1. The citizens of the Southeast region have consistently proven they are not capable of governing themselves
2. For the citizens' own protection, the Southeast regional government shall be abolished and the duties of governing the region shall be ceded to the various other regional governments
  • The states of Texas and Louisiana will be hereafter governed by the Pacific regional government
  • The states of Arkansas, Mississippi and Alabama will be hereafter governed by the Midwest regional government
  • The states of Tennessee, North Carolina and South Carolina will be hereafter governed by the Mideast regional government
  • The states of Georgia and Florida will be hereafter governed by the Northeast regional government

I'm about 5% serious
I hardly think we have proved incapable of governing ourselves, its wanting to overgovern ourselves that has people agnry.
Associate Justice PiT
PiT (The Physicist)
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #724 on: August 10, 2008, 03:46:51 PM »

I'm about 5% serious
I hardly think we have proved incapable of governing ourselves, its wanting to overgovern ourselves that has people agnry.

It would be funny if this passed because then I would be returned to the Pacific Region without actually having to move. Smiley
Pages: 1 ... 24 25 26 27 28 [29] 30 31 32 33 34 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies