Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 08:33:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 304885 times)
CultureKing
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: March 23, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »

The Death with Dignity Act is probably unconstitutional unless someone can find me a constitutional power of the Senate that allows for that to be regulated by this body. Unless we are now just assuming that all laws like that are only to apply to DC and the federal territories.

hmmm... I will admit that I definately do not know all the ins and outs of the constitution as well as some others around here, but I'll try to make a connection (please feel free to say if my logic is flawed):

Article VI, clause 2 states:
No agency of government shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I see disalowing phsician assisted suicide as an infringment on a person's liberty and as such Article 1, Section 5, Clause 30 gives the senate the right to make laws to carry out the rights guarenteed to the people.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #651 on: March 23, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
« Edited: March 23, 2008, 05:46:05 PM by Коля Иванович Викстед »

The Death with Dignity Act is probably unconstitutional unless someone can find me a constitutional power of the Senate that allows for that to be regulated by this body. Unless we are now just assuming that all laws like that are only to apply to DC and the federal territories.

hmmm... I will admit that I definately do not know all the ins and outs of the constitution as well as some others around here, but I'll try to make a connection (please feel free to say if my logic is flawed):

No agency of government shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I see disalowing phsician assisted suicide as an infringment on a person's liberty and as such Article 1, Section 5, Clause 30 gives the senate the right to make laws to carry out the rights guarenteed to the people.

You're looking at the wrong section. What the Senate can do is stated here. If its not stated in there its a regional matter, end of story. I wish the Senate could do more but those are the rules you have to work with.

Take the advice of a former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, I may know what I'm talking about. Wink
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #652 on: March 23, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

You're looking at the wrong section. What the Senate can do is stated here. If its not stated in there its a regional matter, end of story. I wish the Senate could do more but those are the rules you have to work with.

Take the advice of a former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, I may know what I'm talking about. Wink

Yes, I see that but it does say in the powers of the senate:
"30. And to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the powers enumerated in this section, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia, or in any department or officer thereof."
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #653 on: March 23, 2008, 06:02:39 PM »

"30. And to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the powers enumerated in this section, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia, or in any department or officer thereof."

Very weak case, incredibly weak. Issues such as euthanasia are regional issues, whether you want them to be or not. If this does get passed I'd bet Sam would probably take you to court. He likes doing that.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #654 on: March 23, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

Very weak case, incredibly weak. Issues such as euthanasia are regional issues, whether you want them to be or not. If this does get passed I'd bet Sam would probably take you to court. He likes doing that.

hmmm...
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #655 on: March 27, 2008, 11:31:10 AM »

I just want to say that I am very supportive of Peter as a pick for Attorney General, and would like to encourage my representatives to vote in favor of his nomination.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #656 on: April 14, 2008, 12:12:08 PM »

The sitting Secretary of Forum Affairs declines to endorse or oppose the bill introduced by Senator Trondheim requiring special elections for all Class B vacancies.

He will, however, note that the status quo is simpler.  Smiley
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #657 on: April 14, 2008, 12:15:07 PM »

The sitting Secretary of Forum Affairs declines to endorse or oppose the bill introduced by Senator Trondheim requiring special elections for all Class B vacancies.

Let me clarify—I meant the status quo as in the original text of the PRA, assuming all was constitutional.  I still strongly support fixing the currently unconstitutional Sections 18 and 19 of the PRA.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #658 on: April 14, 2008, 02:09:13 PM »

Let me clarify—I meant the status quo as in the original text of the PRA, assuming all was constitutional.  I still strongly support fixing the currently unconstitutional Sections 18 and 19 of the PRA.
Thought so, since the statement doesn't make any sense otherwise. Cheesy
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #659 on: April 16, 2008, 09:23:10 PM »

Ukulele Musical Learning Standardization Act

Section 1: Each school district shall include in their musical curriculum the instruction of how to play a ukulele.
Section 2: Each school district may decide in which grade the ukulele instruction shall occur.
Section 3: School districts must provide a ukulele to each student for the duration of the unit.

This is vital legislation.

Is this constitutional?
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #660 on: April 17, 2008, 11:53:00 AM »

Someone propose this:

Legislation Tabling Bill

The following shall be added to Article 4 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution:

Section 5: Rules on Motions to Table
1.   Any Senator can, during a period of debate, introduce a motion to table the legislation.
2.   The PPT shall open a vote on the motion to table. This vote shall last for a maximum of five (5) days during which time the Senators must vote. Voting may be declared final at any time if the motion to table has been approved or rejected.
3.   For the motion to table to pass, two thirds of the Senate must vote for the motion.
4.   Tabled legislation shall be taken off the Senate floor and moved to the back of a separate queue for tabled legislation.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #661 on: April 17, 2008, 01:39:09 PM »

Section 1: Each school district shall include in their musical curriculum the instruction of how to play a ukulele.
Section 2: Each school district may decide in which grade the ukulele instruction shall occur.
Section 3: School districts must provide a ukulele to each student for the duration of the unit.

Is this constitutional?

Stupid yes, but it is constitutional if it's a requirement for obtaining federal education funding.

Though, um...generally it's the PPT who strikes down the frivolous legislation, and not the one who proposes it.  Smiley
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #662 on: April 17, 2008, 01:51:52 PM »

Is this constitutional?

Stupid yes, but it is constitutional if it's a requirement for obtaining federal education funding.

Though, um...generally it's the PPT who strikes down the frivolous legislation, and not the one who proposes it.  Smiley

That's what I wa thinking as I looked through the OSPR. That rule should probably be...fixed. Tongue
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #663 on: April 17, 2008, 04:27:51 PM »

Hold up - there are actually very legitimate reasons for teaching kids how to learn the ukulele. I'll go into it when we get to the debate, but google it - you should find several articles. The UK recently adopted it as part of a national curriculum.

So in other words, it's not a joke bill.
Sensei
senseiofj324
Atlas Icon
Panama

Political Matrix
E: -2.45, S: -5.57

« Reply #664 on: April 17, 2008, 06:50:47 PM »

If I am elected Senator, I will vote in favor of this ukulele bill. If only because I want to hear 8 year olds playing the complete works of Tiny Tim.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #665 on: April 17, 2008, 07:07:37 PM »

It shouldn't be required. Encouraged, yes, but not required.
Speed of Sound
LiberalPA
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #666 on: April 17, 2008, 08:44:32 PM »

We've got nothing better to encourage? Honestly? If you guys are gonna pass this crackpot thing, you may as well go for broke. Smiley
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #667 on: April 19, 2008, 12:53:11 PM »

It certainly should be required of anyone who applies for a license to breathe.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #668 on: April 27, 2008, 08:56:06 AM »

With five days passing on the amendment to allow for gun control, I asked that the vote be closed with an official tally of 0 in favor, 1 opposed, and 1 abstention.  Otherwise, a court case will be forthcoming
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #669 on: April 27, 2008, 09:53:50 AM »

With five days passing on the amendment to allow for gun control, I asked that the vote be closed with an official tally of 0 in favor, 1 opposed, and 1 abstention.  Otherwise, a court case will be forthcoming

Your case would be immediately rejected, final votes can last for 7 days.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #670 on: May 12, 2008, 05:53:50 PM »

Just noticed something. This:

Legislation Tabling Bill

The following shall be added to Article 5 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution:

1.   Any Senator can, during a period of debate, introduce a motion to table the legislation.
2.   The PPT shall open a vote on the motion to table. This vote shall last for a maximum of two (2) days during which time the Senators must vote. Voting may be declared final at any time if the motion to table has been approved or rejected.
3.   For the motion to table to pass, two thirds of the Senate must vote for the motion.
4.   Tabled legislation shall be taken off the Senate floor.

Is different from this:

Someone propose this:

Legislation Tabling Bill

The following shall be added to Article 4 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution:

1.   Any Senator can, during a period of debate, introduce a motion to table the legislation.
2.   The PPT shall open a vote on the motion to table. This vote shall last for a maximum of five (5) days during which time the Senators must vote. Voting may be declared final at any time if the motion to table has been approved or rejected.
3.   For the motion to table to pass, two thirds of the Senate must vote for the motion.
4.   Tabled legislation shall be taken off the Senate floor and moved to the back of a separate queue for tabled legislation.

While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I thought it's worth bringing up, since this'll reach the floor soon.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #671 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »

Legislation Tabling Bill

The following shall be added to Article 5 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution:

1.   Any Senator can, during a period of debate, introduce a motion to table the legislation.
2.   The PPT shall open a vote on the motion to table. This vote shall last for a maximum of two (2) days during which time the Senators must vote. Voting may be declared final at any time if the motion to table has been approved or rejected.
3.   For the motion to table to pass, two thirds of the Senate must vote for the motion.

Is different from this:

Someone propose this:

Legislation Tabling Bill

While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I thought it's worth bringing up, since this'll reach the floor soon.

I basically just lessened the number of days allowed for voting as I see tabling as a procedure that helps kill bills that have no chance anyways and changing it to two days makes the process simply go faster.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #672 on: May 12, 2008, 11:23:05 PM »

Legislation Tabling Bill

Is different from this:

Someone propose this:

Legislation Tabling Bill

I basically just lessened the number of days allowed for voting as I see tabling as a procedure that helps kill bills that have no chance anyways and changing it to two days makes the process simply go faster.

That makes sense, but what about your other change? The point of tabling is to have it reach the Senate at some later date. If you want to kill it, get a vote for cloture.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #673 on: May 13, 2008, 12:56:23 PM »

That makes sense, but what about your other change? The point of tabling is to have it reach the Senate at some later date. If you want to kill it, get a vote for cloture.

As used in Atlasia, the point of tabling a bill is generally to kill it.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #674 on: May 13, 2008, 04:18:52 PM »

As used in Atlasia, the point of tabling a bill is generally to kill it.

But that's not the correct use of tabling.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies