Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 09:50:23 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 90
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 304057 times)
Small Business Owner of Any Repute
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: May 13, 2008, 05:22:03 PM »

That makes sense, but what about your other change? The point of tabling is to have it reach the Senate at some later date. If you want to kill it, get a vote for cloture.

As used in Atlasia, the point of tabling a bill is generally to kill it.

But that's not the correct use of tabling.

Take it up with real governing bodies, which do the same thing.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #676 on: May 13, 2008, 05:40:03 PM »

That makes sense, but what about your other change? The point of tabling is to have it reach the Senate at some later date. If you want to kill it, get a vote for cloture.

As used in Atlasia, the point of tabling a bill is generally to kill it.

But that's not the correct use of tabling.

Take it up with real governing bodies, which do the same thing.

Well, this can be discussed when the bill's on the floor.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #677 on: May 18, 2008, 06:45:01 PM »

Call it something other than tabling please.  To table has directly opposite meanings in American and British, and since quite a few people here have British rather than American as their first language it would be nice to avoid predictable confusion.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #678 on: June 17, 2008, 12:57:02 PM »
« Edited: June 17, 2008, 01:34:13 PM by Vice-Chairman ザハル (さはる) »

Amendment to End the Budget Requirement

1. Article 1, Section 8 of the Constitution is hereby repealed.

United Nations Reform Act

Section 1: Findings
   1. The current structure of the United Nations is unfair and gives excessive power to the major Allies of World War II and to very small states.
   2. Reform of the system in use by the United Nations is necessary for it to fulfill its envisioned role.

Section 2: Requirements for a Fair United Nations
   1. The United Nations Security Council and General Assembly shall be abolished.
   2. A Parliamentary Assembly, either elected or appointed, shall replace the Security Council and General Assembly.
   3. Seats in the Parliamentary Assembly shall be apportioned by one of the following methods: Schwarzenberg's weighted voting, Provisional People's Assembly Method, one person, one vote, or the Penrose method.
   4. No nation shall have veto power over any decision reached by the Parliamentary Assembly.
   5. The Secretary-General shall be chosen by a vote of the Parliamentary Assembly.

Section 3: Implementation
   1. Atlasia shall not give any funds to the United Nations.
   2. The Atlasian representative must use his power of veto to block all UN business.
   3. Clauses 1 and 2 of this section shall be rendered null and void upon the issuance of an Executive Order countersigned by the Secretary of External affairs certifying that the organization of the United Nations is within the letter and spirit of this law.
   4. After the process described in Clause 3 of this section renders Clauses 1 and 2 of this section null and void, they may be reinstated upon the issuance of an Executive Order countersigned by the Secretary of External affairs certifying that the organization of the United Nations is no longer within the letter and spirit of this law.

Gasoline Consumer Protection Act

1. All prices for gasoline displayed at gas stations must be rounded up to the nearest cent.
   2. If a station is found noncompliant, the company operating the station shall be fined 10% of the earnings at that station during the period of noncompliance.

Somebody introduce these and we can get the Senate up and running again. I'll have more soon.
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #679 on: June 17, 2008, 01:40:43 PM »

I was just going to suggest this myself. 
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #680 on: June 17, 2008, 01:43:23 PM »

I was just going to suggest this myself. 

Great minds think alike? Tongue

Well, Meeker's on right now. Get to it, Senator!
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #681 on: June 17, 2008, 01:46:26 PM »

I'm not so sure about the budget one yet... if we reinstitute the GM, couldn't we potentially solve the problem of not having a basis for the budget? Or were there bigger reasons why the budget turned out to be such a disaster? (It was before my time, so I'm not well versed on it)
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #682 on: June 17, 2008, 01:56:07 PM »

I'm not so sure about the budget one yet... if we reinstitute the GM, couldn't we potentially solve the problem of not having a basis for the budget? Or were there bigger reasons why the budget turned out to be such a disaster? (It was before my time, so I'm not well versed on it)
Stuff like constradictory wording making it unworkable. Just introduce the three of them so that we can discuss them in the Senate.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: June 17, 2008, 05:58:42 PM »

1. The current structure of the United Nations is unfair and gives excessive power to the major Allies of World War II and to very small states.
   2. Reform of the system in use by the United Nations is necessary for it to fulfill its envisioned role.

2. A Parliamentary Assembly, either elected or appointed, shall replace the Security Council and General Assembly.
   3. Seats in the Parliamentary Assembly shall be apportioned by one of the following methods: Schwarzenberg's weighted voting, Provisional People's Assembly Method, one person, one vote, or the Penrose method.
   4. No nation shall have veto power over any decision reached by the Parliamentary Assembly.
   5. The Secretary-General shall be chosen by a vote of the Parliamentary Assembly.

2. The Atlasian representative must use his power of veto to block all UN business.
   3. Clauses 1 and 2 of this section shall be rendered null and void upon the issuance of an Executive Order countersigned by the Secretary of External affairs certifying that the organization of the United Nations is within the letter and spirit of this law.
   4. After the process described in Clause 3 of this section renders Clauses 1 and 2 of this section null and void, they may be reinstated upon the issuance of an Executive Order countersigned by the Secretary of External affairs certifying that the organization of the United Nations is no longer within the letter and spirit of this law.

1. All prices for gasoline displayed at gas stations must be rounded up to the nearest cent.
   2. If a station is found noncompliant, the company operating the station shall be fined 10% of the earnings at that station during the period of noncompliance.

Somebody introduce these and we can get the Senate up and running again. I'll have more soon.

Somebody introduce these 3!

Another amendment is in the process of taking shape in my head.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #684 on: June 18, 2008, 01:17:27 PM »

These two are still waiting.
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #685 on: June 18, 2008, 09:14:15 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What does PPAM and Penrose mean?  I understand one person, one vote, which is quite insane (India and China would own the place). Something that comported more to economic power might make some sense.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #686 on: June 18, 2008, 10:56:22 PM »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

What does PPAM and Penrose mean?  I understand one person, one vote, which is quite insane (India and China would own the place). Something that comported more to economic power might make some sense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/World_Parliament#Apportionment_of_votes

Penrose is still based on population alone (though a bit differently), but PPAM also takes economics into account.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: 9.16, S: -3.13

« Reply #687 on: July 03, 2008, 02:40:30 PM »

I ask that the PPT disregards Mr. Gporter's bill that he introduced as his NOT A SENATOR
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #688 on: July 03, 2008, 02:41:23 PM »

thank you, mr. moderate. I do not believe that I was doing anything wrong, only posting legislation.
YOU ARE NOT A SENATOR YOU CANNOT POST LEGISLATION!!!
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #689 on: July 03, 2008, 02:57:48 PM »

Nasolation at its finest...

Health Care Bill:

1. Health care shall be given to all Atlasians if they or their parents do the ten hours of community service. This community service can consist of basically anything. Including, service in the troops and elsewhere. Health care is also given to the children by the hours of community service their parents do. If the parents do twenty or more hours of community service, they are guarenteed health care for both themselves and their children. If they do between ten and twenty hours of community service, then they earn health care for only themselves.

2. Back to the immigration topic with health care, if the immigrant's records are clear and if they follow the citizenship entry format as it is to be followed, then they will earn health care.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #690 on: July 03, 2008, 02:58:50 PM »

Does anyone what charges can be brought against Gporter for taking the oath of office illegally and then trying to vote and introduce legislation?  I can't even find anything relevant other than the fact that he's not a senator.  I don't think there's ever been anyone dumb enough to that before
Mr. Moderate
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #691 on: July 03, 2008, 03:55:05 PM »

Does anyone what charges can be brought against Gporter for taking the oath of office illegally and then trying to vote and introduce legislation?  I can't even find anything relevant other than the fact that he's not a senator.  I don't think there's ever been anyone dumb enough to that before

None of it will reach the floor in the next 19 hours, so the point is basically moot.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #692 on: July 03, 2008, 03:56:44 PM »

None of it will reach the floor in the next 19 hours, so the point is basically moot.
True, but if he continues to be active in the next senate, that a problem most definetly arises.  And considering he is not a senator now, what would stop him then?  
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #693 on: July 03, 2008, 04:05:00 PM »

I was appointed by the governor, AHDuke, that I was the appointed senator and he told me that I could take the oath of office at my convenience. I did so and it is not illegal.
Slight problem there.............AHDUKE IS NOT THE GODDAMN GOVERNOR WHAT THE HELL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!!!
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #694 on: July 03, 2008, 04:07:52 PM »

I was appointed by the governor, AHDuke, that I was the appointed senator and he told me that I could take the oath of office at my convenience. I did so and it is not illegal.
Slight problem there.............AHDUKE IS NOT THE GODDAMN GOVERNOR WHAT THE HELL DON'T YOU UNDERSTAND!!!

Let me explain calmly. You see, gporter hasn't taken High-Level Reading in school, so he understands part of it but hasn't learned to grasp everything. He also can't analyze what certain things mean.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: July 03, 2008, 04:08:40 PM »

Let me explain calmly. You see, gporter hasn't taken High-Level Reading in school, so he understands part of it but hasn't learned to grasp everything. He also can't analyze what certain things mean.
LOL, coup time yet?
Hash
Hashemite
Moderators
Atlas Superstar
Colombia

« Reply #696 on: July 03, 2008, 04:10:50 PM »

LOL, coup time yet?

Yes. I am now in the Southeast region.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: July 04, 2008, 04:52:24 AM »

Please introduce:

These two are still waiting.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #698 on: July 06, 2008, 08:05:08 PM »

That's not a bill we can pass since the Atlasian Senate doesn't have the power to change the UN just because we want to. So I'd ask DWTL to withdraw it.
DownWithTheLeft
downwithdaleft
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix

« Reply #699 on: July 06, 2008, 08:06:30 PM »

That's not a bill we can pass since the Atlasian Senate doesn't have the power to change the UN just because we want to. So I'd ask DWTL to withdraw it.
Hold on, I'll read it first.  I have no idea if it is good or not, I just promised to introduce bills for people and did a copy/paste Tongue
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 90  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies