Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 04:56:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 306103 times)
CultureKing
United States

« on: March 23, 2008, 05:05:47 PM »

The Death with Dignity Act is probably unconstitutional unless someone can find me a constitutional power of the Senate that allows for that to be regulated by this body. Unless we are now just assuming that all laws like that are only to apply to DC and the federal territories.

hmmm... I will admit that I definately do not know all the ins and outs of the constitution as well as some others around here, but I'll try to make a connection (please feel free to say if my logic is flawed):

Article VI, clause 2 states:
No agency of government shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I see disalowing phsician assisted suicide as an infringment on a person's liberty and as such Article 1, Section 5, Clause 30 gives the senate the right to make laws to carry out the rights guarenteed to the people.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2008, 05:56:35 PM »

The Death with Dignity Act is probably unconstitutional unless someone can find me a constitutional power of the Senate that allows for that to be regulated by this body. Unless we are now just assuming that all laws like that are only to apply to DC and the federal territories.

hmmm... I will admit that I definately do not know all the ins and outs of the constitution as well as some others around here, but I'll try to make a connection (please feel free to say if my logic is flawed):

No agency of government shall deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.

I see disalowing phsician assisted suicide as an infringment on a person's liberty and as such Article 1, Section 5, Clause 30 gives the senate the right to make laws to carry out the rights guarenteed to the people.

You're looking at the wrong section. What the Senate can do is stated here. If its not stated in there its a regional matter, end of story. I wish the Senate could do more but those are the rules you have to work with.

Take the advice of a former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, I may know what I'm talking about. Wink

Yes, I see that but it does say in the powers of the senate:
"30. And to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the powers enumerated in this section, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia, or in any department or officer thereof."
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2008, 06:05:16 PM »

You're looking at the wrong section. What the Senate can do is stated here. If its not stated in there its a regional matter, end of story. I wish the Senate could do more but those are the rules you have to work with.

Take the advice of a former Chief Justice of the Supreme Court, I may know what I'm talking about. Wink

Yes, I see that but it does say in the powers of the senate:
"30. And to make all laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into execution the powers enumerated in this section, and all other powers vested by this Constitution in the government of the Republic of Atlasia, or in any department or officer thereof."

Very weak case, incredibly weak. Issues such as euthanasia are regional issues, whether you want them to be or not. If this does get passed I'd bet Sam would probably take you to court. He likes doing that.

hmmm...
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2008, 10:22:00 PM »

Just noticed something. This:

Legislation Tabling Bill

The following shall be added to Article 5 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution:

Section 5: Rules on Motions to Table
1.   Any Senator can, during a period of debate, introduce a motion to table the legislation.
2.   The PPT shall open a vote on the motion to table. This vote shall last for a maximum of two (2) days during which time the Senators must vote. Voting may be declared final at any time if the motion to table has been approved or rejected.
3.   For the motion to table to pass, two thirds of the Senate must vote for the motion.
4.   Tabled legislation shall be taken off the Senate floor.

Is different from this:

Someone propose this:

Legislation Tabling Bill

The following shall be added to Article 4 of the Official Senate Procedural Resolution:

Section 5: Rules on Motions to Table
1.   Any Senator can, during a period of debate, introduce a motion to table the legislation.
2.   The PPT shall open a vote on the motion to table. This vote shall last for a maximum of five (5) days during which time the Senators must vote. Voting may be declared final at any time if the motion to table has been approved or rejected.
3.   For the motion to table to pass, two thirds of the Senate must vote for the motion.
4.   Tabled legislation shall be taken off the Senate floor and moved to the back of a separate queue for tabled legislation.

While that's not necessarily a bad thing, I thought it's worth bringing up, since this'll reach the floor soon.

I basically just lessened the number of days allowed for voting as I see tabling as a procedure that helps kill bills that have no chance anyways and changing it to two days makes the process simply go faster.
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2008, 08:28:02 PM »

Pssst!!! Senate! Pssst!

You should pass the governor bill thing. I like it. And of course I am not just saying this because it would make my position more powerful.
Wink

/covers face with cloak and walks away.

-Governor CultureKing
CultureKing
United States

« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2008, 10:53:09 PM »

Recent turn in events of the Gubernational Bill: Anger
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies