Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 01:47:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Senate Protest and Analysis Thread (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senate Protest and Analysis Thread  (Read 305980 times)
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« on: June 03, 2009, 10:59:48 PM »

Privacy Protection Bill

1. It shall henceforth be a punishable crime in Atlasia to publicly post the contents of private discussions, whether by internet messaging, personal message or other forms of personal communication, without the consent of all parties involved in said correspondence.
2. This crime shall be tried as though it were a crime under the Consolidated Criminal Justice Act.
3. Sentencing of the crime shall be by the presiding Justice; He may sentence the guilty party for up to, but not exceeding, a 1 month ban from holding any office under the Republic of Atlasia.

Excellent bill senator!

Although I think in this case it was a simple lapse in judgment on PiT's part, this bill should prevent things like this in the future.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2009, 11:03:50 AM »

Sorry, I'll vote against the bill should any effort to remove the 'Buy Atlasian' provision be removed. We need something to stimulate the manufacturing sector which has been on the decline for decades, and outsourcing most, if not all, of our materials isn't an Atlasian stimulus, it's a Chinese stimulus. As for 3 and 4, I'm sure we can work together on something there.

However, I do think that temporary nationalization of the Atlasian auto companies is the best course of action, for a variety of reasons.

Most of those jobs aren't coming back, no matter what you do. When you can pay a Chinese man far less to do the same job. Interestingly, the Japanese and Korean car companies have many factories in the south, where there aren't strong unions. If you remove the UAW union's power, then the American companies can build plants in cheaper areas.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2009, 08:46:32 PM »

Sorry, I'll vote against the bill should any effort to remove the 'Buy Atlasian' provision be removed. We need something to stimulate the manufacturing sector which has been on the decline for decades, and outsourcing most, if not all, of our materials isn't an Atlasian stimulus, it's a Chinese stimulus. As for 3 and 4, I'm sure we can work together on something there.

However, I do think that temporary nationalization of the Atlasian auto companies is the best course of action, for a variety of reasons.

Most of those jobs aren't coming back, no matter what you do. When you can pay a Chinese man far less to do the same job. Interestingly, the Japanese and Korean car companies have many factories in the south, where there aren't strong unions. If you remove the UAW union's power, then the American companies can build plants in cheaper areas.

Does no one read what I post?

I didn't at the time. Tongue However, you may be right.

By the way, why should Ford be bought by the government? Lately they've been a very competent company, with many cars rivaling Japanese cars in quality. They have paid off many of their debts as well.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2009, 04:55:38 PM »

Actually, I do favor abolishing regions now. I didn't used to, but I've come to that conclusions after having been here for almost a year now.

In any case, if we constantly catered to "states rights" we'd have never got rid of slavery, we would have legal abortions, gay sex would still be illegal, blacks couldn't vote, women would've fought longer for voting rights, prayer would still be institutionalized in schools..

The Mideast and now the Midwest (hopefully) are very good examples of good regions. The other three just need a vigorous leader to push for new policies. Regions can explore creative things the federal government ignores.

That said, the regional Senate elections need reform so they're not so boring, though regions would need to still have some form of representation.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2009, 08:10:32 PM »

Does Atlasia have a federal abortion policy?

Like I said it has always been a regional issue by tradition.  For instance in the Mideast we  have embraced a policy wherein we only allow abortion in the case of abortion, incest, or danger to the mother.

So, one can only abort in a case where one is going to abort. Very liberal for the Mideast Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2009, 10:55:31 PM »

You have done nothing to aid our banking industry. The stock market has been moving downward consistently for a month now. Do something!
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2009, 04:11:32 PM »

Just to get yelled at:

Troubled Asset Relief Program Bill

1. The Troubled Asset Relief Program (TARP) is hereby established.
2. $600 billion will be available to failing banks and other corporations vital to the continued function of the Atlasian and global economies, and to be used by the Atlasian government to buy out liquidated assets at an inflated price.
3. $350 billion for this program will be available immediately upon the fulfillment of the drawing up of the next section's guidelines, while the second installment of $250 billion will be available no sooner than a month from the passage of this act and only with Senatorial approval.
4. Guidelines to determine eligibility for TARP will be established by the President, in his role as acting Secretary of the Treasury, and the Secretary of Internal Affairs, after consultation with the Game Moderator.

In theory, the mere introduction of this legislation will cause a temporary spike in the stock market. Tongue

Just introduce it, table it after market hours, then reintroduce it in the morning everyday into infinity. Problem solved Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2009, 04:58:47 PM »

Might as well re-post this here:

Here's a reasonable (I think) compromise between Marokai and his folk, and the more pro-regionalist folks such as PiT and NCYankee.

An upper house that would function much as the US Senate functions today in terms of power and procedure. It would be composed of five members, one from each region, who would have a term of a to be determined length. Each region would choose how they are selected/retained. Will they be elected? Appointed by the Governor or legislature? Will they have to be retained by a vote or simply reappointed?

Of course, you could also just have them be elected, whatever the ultimate idea is.

As a citizen and Governor of a region, I would urge the Senators to consider my idea, as I feel it is a good compromise.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #8 on: October 31, 2009, 09:02:23 PM »

Might as well re-post this here:

Here's a reasonable (I think) compromise between Marokai and his folk, and the more pro-regionalist folks such as PiT and NCYankee.

An upper house that would function much as the US Senate functions today in terms of power and procedure. It would be composed of five members, one from each region, who would have a term of a to be determined length. Each region would choose how they are selected/retained. Will they be elected? Appointed by the Governor or legislature? Will they have to be retained by a vote or simply reappointed?

Of course, you could also just have them be elected, whatever the ultimate idea is.

As a citizen and Governor of a region, I would urge the Senators to consider my idea, as I feel it is a good compromise.

Would never fly, cause Marokai, JAs and co already have there "compromise" and everyone who opposes it is an ideologue who refuses to compromise.

Of course, the Senate could be reduced to eight members to compensate for the increased number of positions, but I doubt that would appeal to many people
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2009, 08:41:15 PM »

Or, 2/3 vote in the Senate and 3/5 vote in the council of a "to be determined office".
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2009, 08:44:36 PM »

Or, 2/3 vote in the Senate and 3/5 vote in the council of a "to be determined office" to overturn the veto, or a simple majority in both to pass the President's version.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2009, 07:25:56 PM »

Capital Punishment Abolition Amendment:

The death penalty may not be given for any crime throughout Atlasia, whether federal or regional.

Yes yes, I know it failed a while ago....but I'm not giving up Smiley

The southerners are going to hide in you closet and kill you in your sleep.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2009, 09:42:15 PM »

I think Saudi Arabia should receive tighter restrictions due to their human rights abuses.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #13 on: January 05, 2010, 11:30:07 AM »

Its better but I must ask whats the difference in having the PPT step in when the Veep is innactive then having the Veep step in when the PPT is innactive?

It would give the PPT more time to debate. MJ rarely debated back when he was PPT after all.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #14 on: January 05, 2010, 07:18:34 PM »

Its better but I must ask whats the difference in having the PPT step in when the Veep is innactive then having the Veep step in when the PPT is innactive?

It would give the PPT more time to debate. MJ rarely debated back when he was PPT after all.

I am not MJ. I don't beleive Marokai refrained from debating contentious topics when he was PPT and I plan to continue to debate topics just as much as I previously did. The PPT stuff is easy, especially with the Senate as active as it is now. I don't see how any PPT wouldn't "have the time" to debate. Roll Eyes

If MJ refrained from debate it was because he felt obligated to do so as part of his position. I feel that is unnecessary but respectable overkill. As long as the PPT can separate his duties from PPT from the debate which I can and will, this won't be an issue.

Well, he's the only PPT I've seen last more than a month or two Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2010, 09:51:02 PM »

Hey! Where's the controversial, ideological legislation?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2010, 04:53:00 PM »

I just had an idea to improve the job of the SoIA. Why not give him power over the monetary policy, much like the federal reserve in real life?
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #17 on: January 25, 2010, 05:01:02 PM »

I just had an idea to improve the job of the SoIA. Why not give him power over the monetary policy, much like the federal reserve in real life?

I'm a little fearful of actually letting such a complicated job be held by children, to be honest. Tongue

It was your buddy Lief who nominated the (very smart) kid Tongue
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2010, 05:56:26 PM »

Senators, if you haven't already, please read this thread: https://uselectionatlas.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=111047.0

If action is not taken, some voters will be disenfranchised by legal issues.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2010, 10:19:57 PM »

What a boring Senate
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2010, 11:09:19 AM »

I, on behalf of the Midwest region, am requesting aid for the areas of the state of happiness (oh, the irony!) that were damaged by last weeks tornadoes and thunderstorms. I currently estimate that upwards of $30 million is required.
Vepres
Junior Chimp
United States
« Reply #21 on: September 04, 2010, 11:26:09 PM »

Goddammit, do something controversial!
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies