New York 2016 - Let's Just Say...
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 11:53:55 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  New York 2016 - Let's Just Say...
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York 2016 - Let's Just Say...  (Read 1189 times)
Progressive
jro660

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: November 27, 2014, 11:20:53 PM »

Let's just say Schumer doesn't run again in 2016 or Gillibrand is prez or VP and there is a vacancy…name all of the possible candidates in a Democratic primary…

I bet U.S. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio,  State Senate Minority Leader Andrea Stewart Cousins, NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer, how about you?
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2014, 12:00:15 PM »

The guys you mentioned above; or perhaps former Governor David Paterson.
The Other Castro
Castro2020
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2014, 01:28:23 PM »

I want Spitzer back
Emperor Charles V
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -6.00

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2014, 11:08:23 PM »
« Edited: November 28, 2014, 11:10:22 PM by Emperor Charles V »

Let's just say Schumer doesn't run again in 2016 or Gillibrand is prez or VP and there is a vacancy…name all of the possible candidates in a Democratic primary…

I bet U.S. Rep. Sean Patrick Maloney, NYC Mayor Bill De Blasio,  State Senate Minority Leader Andrea Stewart Cousins, NYC Comptroller Scott Stringer, how about you?

As a New Yorker, I feel people along the lines of former Rep. Tim Bishop, Rep. Kathleen Rice, Rep. Joe Crowley, Rep. Brian Higgins, Lieutenant Governor Kathy Hochul, or State Comptroller Tom DiNapoli, would be more plausible candidates. The candidates you listed above save Maloney are too far-left for the state Democratic machine to coalesce around. Remember, despite New York being a liberal state, the machine goes for moderate Democrats for statewide offices, for example, Cuomo, and Gillibrand (who was a conservative Blue Dog Democrat when she was appointed to the Senate). Maloney though he's a New Democrat just doesn't have the political experience and the state Democratic Party would easily favor Crowley (who's been congress since the 90's) or Bishop (who was in congress since the early 2000's before his defeat this year) over Maloney who's only been in congress for only two terms and never held electoral office prior to that.

The GOP would put up a sacrificial lamb. I have no clue who this person would be, but it doesn't matter because the Democratic nomination here is tantamount to election. My best guesses are former Tea Party Rep. Nan Hayworth, Wendy Long (the woman who ran against Gillibrand in 2012 and only got a quarter of the vote!), Rick Lazio (though I doubt he'll ever run for statewide office again after losing to Carl Paladino), Paladino himself, or perhaps even Kara DioGuardi's dad!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies