25 Schengen/EU countries launch massive operation to round up illegal immigrants
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 12:33:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  International General Discussion (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  25 Schengen/EU countries launch massive operation to round up illegal immigrants
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: 25 Schengen/EU countries launch massive operation to round up illegal immigrants  (Read 667 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 14, 2014, 01:53:21 AM »

EU states launch controversial police hunt for irregular migrants

A massive police operation dubbed ‘Mos Maiorum’ was launched by 25 European countries on Monday to detect, detain and possibly deport tens-of-thousands of so-called “irregular” migrants.

During the 14-day Operation Mos Maiorum, some 20,000 police officers will stake out border crossings, railway stations, bus depots, and highways throughout Europe to apprehend so-called irregular migrants – people living without permission.

The operation is the brainchild of the Italian presidency of the European Council.

No clear data exist on the number of irregular migrants in the European Union, but unofficial estimates range between 150,000 to 450,000 people.

Mos Maiorum is to be coordinated by the Italian Ministry of the Interior's Central Directorate for Immigration and Border Police, in “close cooperation” with the EU's border control agency Frontex. “The agency was invited by the Italian Presidency to provide support to the operation in the area of risk analysis. This means that the agency will only provide the Italian Presidency with statistics and data analysis of the migratory flows at external borders of the European Union,” Frontex said.

Frontex said the operation was not a border control operation but ‘intra-Schengen’ and of ‘police cooperation’ nature, which are not within the mandate of Frontex.

Currently it is unknown which member states have chosen to participate, but previous operations have involved the majority of member states.

According to a report on the German website Heise, the focus of the operation will be transport hubs – railway stations, motorways, roads and airports – and will involve thousands of officers.

The paper circulated to Member States' delegations in the Council outlined the main goals:

Apprehend irregular migrants and gather relevant information for intelligence and investigative purposes;

Identify, prosecute and disrupt organised crime groups;

* Give a clear and updated situation picture concerning the operational area, modus operandi, main trends and possible rapid changes in these aspects;

* Consolidate joint measures to achieve an impact on illegal immigration (border checks and border surveillance activities);

* Carry out (based on the outcomes of the risk analysis), control along the main routes of illegal immigration on the main routes followed by illegal migrant networks (within the Schengen Area and at the external borders);

* Collect and analyse information related to the so-called secondary movement.

http://www.maltatoday.com.mt/news/world/44915/_eu_states_launch_controversial_police_hunt_for_irregular_migrants#.VDzHqlfPyz4
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2014, 01:54:17 AM »

All except 1 country in the Schengen area are participating in this operation (1 country refused, but diplomats also refused to name that country).

Which country do you think opted out ?
swl
France

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 02:58:21 AM »
« Edited: October 14, 2014, 03:02:58 AM by swl »

Maybe Iceland? It would be useless there.
ingemann
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2014, 09:43:25 AM »

All except 1 country in the Schengen area are participating in this operation (1 country refused, but diplomats also refused to name that country).

Which country do you think opted out ?

Sweden would be my guess.
politicus
Atlas Icon
Denmark

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2014, 10:15:57 AM »

Maybe Iceland? It would be useless there.

Sure, but the present centre-right government would put up a show anyway, the Prime Minister's Progress Party contains anti-immigration elements and it would be controversial internally if Iceland opted out of this as the only Schengen country.

Sweden is the obvious answer (which doesn't have to be correct..).
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2014, 08:05:42 PM »

Sweden is the obvious answer (which doesn't have to be correct..).

Unfortunately not.
(www etc se/inrikes/sverige-deltar-i-eu-operation-mot-papperslosa; www expressen se/nyheter/eu-landers-insats-mot-papperslosa-kritiseras/)
Famous Mortimer
WillipsBrighton
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2014, 10:36:07 PM »

To Euro posters who oppose this, what would be your preferred immigration policy?
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2014, 01:54:22 AM »

It definitely isn't Germany, Austria, Switzerland, Liechtenstein, Netherlands or anywhere in non-Swedish Scandinavia either and then there are hardly anyone left.

The country opting out could actually be Austria, according to this article:

http://diepresse.com/home/politik/eu/3889824/Zuwanderung_EUOperation-gegen-illegale-Migration

You must be logged in to read this quote.

A speaker for the Interior Ministry said that "Austria will not participate in this operation actively (by apprehending illegals, I guess)".

Austria will only "exchange data with other countries".

So, it could either mean that they are participating (to some extent) or not.

The speaker said it mostly has to do with the fact that Austria already is engaged in rounding up illegals at the border and accross the country for a long time (this year, already 17.649 illegals have been apprehended in Austria from January to August).

You must be logged in to read this quote.
swl
France

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2014, 07:38:06 AM »
« Edited: October 15, 2014, 07:51:52 AM by swl »

To Euro posters who oppose this, what would be your preferred immigration policy?
There are so many aspects to immigration policy than it would take a lot of time to think of a comprehensive policy but there a few examples of things I would change.

In general I am not really opposed to making it difficult to enter, but once you're in I think it should be easier to stay. Currently in France, I think undocumented migrants become legally allowed to stay if they've been here for 10 years. Something like 3 years would be better in my opinion, from my experience it's more than enough to have started a solid new life somewhere.

Also I think the police should not target them specifically. Most of these people work, have to take care of their family, but are in general in much more insecure situations than most of us, I find it insane that after 7 or 8 years in the country, they still at risk of being caught randomly by the police at any time, on their way to work or in an hospital for example. If they are caught for some infraction and the police realized they are here illegally, then they would be in trouble, but it's a bit more acceptable in my opinion.

I see that as a "centrist" position.
Gunnar Larsson
Rookie
Sweden

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2014, 11:52:09 AM »

I don't think it necessarily has to do with immigration policy, but rather with legal policy (though they are probably very much linked in this case). In general the state should not suspect people of being involved in illegal activities as a group ("you look foreign"), but rather on an individual basis.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies