How the Town of Spadra Disappeared. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 11:50:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How the Town of Spadra Disappeared. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How the Town of Spadra Disappeared.  (Read 30054 times)
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« on: October 15, 2014, 11:16:27 PM »

Very intriguing. It reminds of an area I used to live near Salinas.  One time, Google Maps considerably expanded it's stable of place-names, including many locations around Monterey County. Intrigued, being a geographically minded fellow who had never heard of these small towns, I did some research, to discover that a great many of them were once noted settlements, with hotels, taverns, and post offices. The post offices were closed mostly around 1907-1935 or so, and today a great many of these places exist only as dots on old maps, rural road names, and clusters of agricultural buildings, with the entire valley surrounding Salinas largely emptying of rural population beyond a few isolated farmhouses in the early 20th Century. Some of them had railroad service, or are memorialized in old songs and stories but are no more
Citizen Hats
lol-i-wear-hats
Canada

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 09:32:31 PM »

I love Drawbridge! The Coast Starlight passes through it in the morning on the way between Oakland and San Jose
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies