How the Town of Spadra Disappeared. (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 19, 2024, 07:07:08 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Geography & Demographics (Moderators: muon2, 100% pro-life no matter what)
  How the Town of Spadra Disappeared. (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: How the Town of Spadra Disappeared.  (Read 30031 times)
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« on: October 15, 2014, 02:54:24 PM »

Interesting. I'm curious about the town marked as Iowa Tract north of Cucamonga. Does it correspond to anything today? Also, the carriage drive map shows Pomona in LA county, but in the Southern Pacific map it's in San Bernardino. Did the line shift after Pomona was founded?

The SP map is wrong. Pomona is and always has been in LA County. Note that the SP map shows Pomona considerably closer to San Bernadino and farther from Spadra than the carriage map does, so the error is most likely a misplacement of where Pomona is on the SP map.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2014, 02:42:16 PM »

How the Town of Spadra Disappeared.

I live in Walnut, California, which is in the eastern part of Los Angeles County in the San Gabriel Valley. Looking at historical maps of my area, I continued to see a town named “Spadra,” which was unfamiliar to me.

Does Spadra rhyme with Phaedra, as in "Spadra was its name"

We just pronounce it like the word "spa." So "spad-ra."

"Spa" /spɑ/ and "spad" /spæd/ don't have the same vowel sound. I am a little surprised at the syllabification.  I'd have thought /spɑ drə/ and not /spɑd rə/.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies