Abolish seperate bathrooms (transgendered rights)?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 23, 2024, 05:04:55 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Political Debate (Moderator: Torie)
  Abolish seperate bathrooms (transgendered rights)?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Poll
Question: Would you support abolishing seperate bathrooms for males and females?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 51

Author Topic: Abolish seperate bathrooms (transgendered rights)?  (Read 7938 times)
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2005, 09:21:55 PM »

If women hypothetically did want unisex bathrooms, then separate bathrooms would be unjust.

That is such feminazi logic that it's sickening.

Why should only women decide the issue?  What if men want separate bathrooms while women want unisex bathrooms?  Why should the wants of women automatic take precedence over male views?

Such obsequience to feminazi logic by a man really borders on self-hate.

The issue is not that women's needs take precedence over men's needs. The issue is that both genders need to agree in order for an accomodation to be separate.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2005, 09:24:05 PM »

I don't see the problem in having mens bathrooms with urinals and stalls and womens bathrooms with stalls. Could someone tell me one good reason not to keep the status-quo?
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #27 on: April 13, 2005, 06:47:31 AM »

If women hypothetically did want unisex bathrooms, then separate bathrooms would be unjust.

That is such feminazi logic that it's sickening.

Why should only women decide the issue?  What if men want separate bathrooms while women want unisex bathrooms?  Why should the wants of women automatic take precedence over male views?

Such obsequience to feminazi logic by a man really borders on self-hate.

The issue is not that women's needs take precedence over men's needs. The issue is that both genders need to agree in order for an accomodation to be separate.

What if women want separate bathrooms and men don't?  Would you still think unisex bathrooms should be implemented? 

Somehow, I think you'd have a different answer if, hypothetically, the genders were reversed. 

This type of thinking is a hallmark of feminism - the view that men's opinions don't matter because men are inherently oppressive, and that only the opinions and desires of women matter.

The reality of course is that neither women nor men want unisex bathrooms.  The only people that seem to want them is people who can't decide or figure out whether they're men or women.  This is an infinitessimal portion of the population, so small that there's little reason to even discuss the issue.  But you self-loathing obsequience to the women's movement is profoundly disturbing to observe.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #28 on: April 13, 2005, 07:50:22 AM »

THis just reinforces my idea that Feminists have more issues than a news stand. Cheesy

did you just tell a Krusty-style joke?!  way to go pbrunsel.
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #29 on: April 13, 2005, 10:00:08 AM »

I don't see the problem in having mens bathrooms with urinals and stalls and womens bathrooms with stalls. Could someone tell me one good reason not to keep the status-quo?

obviously there's not.  I think there's a valid argument against having separate bathrooms based on Brown v Board.  And I think it makes for exposing philosophical inconsistencies, on the part of both Republicans and Democrats, and I think the one good reason not to keep the status quo is economic.  It's simply cheaper for me to have one restroom, instead of one men's room and one women's room.  But the bottom line here, as evidenced by the overwhelmingly one-sided poll results, is that we do not want to have to pee in front of strangers, especially if they're chicks.  (I actually don't even like to pee in front of chicks I do know)   And that practical reality weighs more than all the legal, philosophical, and sociological arguments anyone can muster.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2005, 05:26:17 PM »

^^^^^^^

Transgendered rights my ass.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #31 on: April 16, 2005, 01:22:11 AM »

I always found it strange that in "Brave New World" (the novel) there are no families, sex differences are ignored, children are taught to have no sexual shame, and they in fact have public sex with random people as part of their education, but men and women still have seperate bathrooms and locker rooms.   Some things are too deeply ingrained in our psyches to change, no matter how enlightened we want to be.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: April 16, 2005, 05:04:52 AM »

I always found it strange that in "Brave New World" (the novel) there are no families, sex differences are ignored, children are taught to have no sexual shame, and they in fact have public sex with random people as part of their education, but men and women still have seperate bathrooms and locker rooms.   Some things are too deeply ingrained in our psyches to change, no matter how enlightened we want to be.

I read the novel "Brave New World" in high school.  You consider the situation you described from that book as enlightened?  That's an interesting glimpse into the liberal view of things.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #33 on: April 16, 2005, 07:19:28 PM »

A twist on the question is whether or not the separate facilities should be "equal". For instance, a male has an average restroom use time of 30 seconds, and a female has an average use time of 90 seconds. Should there be three times as many stalls for women in a facility as there are stalls plus urinals for men?

The question is not academic. When Chicago's Soldier Field was rebuilt recently a great deal of discussion went into this subject. The rebuilt stadium has many more fixtures for women than for men. there are also many "family restrooms" that are used by either gender, nominally for those with small children of a gender other than that of the accompanying parent.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: April 16, 2005, 08:49:44 PM »

A twist on the question is whether or not the separate facilities should be "equal". For instance, a male has an average restroom use time of 30 seconds, and a female has an average use time of 90 seconds. Should there be three times as many stalls for women in a facility as there are stalls plus urinals for men?

The question is not academic. When Chicago's Soldier Field was rebuilt recently a great deal of discussion went into this subject. The rebuilt stadium has many more fixtures for women than for men. there are also many "family restrooms" that are used by either gender, nominally for those with small children of a gender other than that of the accompanying parent.

I wonder if they considered that probably a good deal over half of the attendees of sporting events are male.  While groups of guys often go to these events, groups of women usually don't.  So you either get groups that are equally divided between males and females, or basically all male.

Something tells me that given the level of political correctness out there, they did not consider this, and therefore over-compensated effectively for the longer time that women take to use the bathroom.
muon2
Moderators
Atlas Icon

« Reply #35 on: April 16, 2005, 11:37:07 PM »

I wonder if they considered that probably a good deal over half of the attendees of sporting events are male.  While groups of guys often go to these events, groups of women usually don't.  So you either get groups that are equally divided between males and females, or basically all male.

Something tells me that given the level of political correctness out there, they did not consider this, and therefore over-compensated effectively for the longer time that women take to use the bathroom.

As I understand it they did try to compensate for use, as well as time. I don't know the exact proprtion, but since the facilities do not match the three-to-one time difference, there seems to be some use factor as well.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2005, 12:25:28 AM »

The idea of drunk men at football games...and then sharing womens restrooms. Yeah, great idea there.
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2005, 12:40:54 AM »

Their getting three times as much time is not equal. Anyway, the 14th amendment's equal protection clause clearly only refers to race, if that's what you're getting at.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2005, 06:57:56 AM »

As I understand it they did try to compensate for use, as well as time. I don't know the exact proprtion, but since the facilities do not match the three-to-one time difference, there seems to be some use factor as well.

Well that seems to make sense.  I read that one state (I forget which one) passed a law requiring a 2-to-1 ratio in bathroom facilities for women versus men at certain venues like stadiums.

I don't think states ought to be passing laws like this.  It should be a business decision how best to accomodate one's customers.
nclib
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2005, 12:28:05 PM »

If hypothetically a business wanted unisex bathrooms, would you support their right to do so?
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2005, 12:29:59 PM »

If hypothetically a business wanted unisex bathrooms, would you support their right to do so?

Gas stations do this all the time.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »

Yes.  I think the concern is that the coercive feminazis, or some such group, will FORCE unisex bathrooms when they are not wanted.  Businesses that don't have enough volume of bathroom use use unisex bathrooms all the time.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2005, 03:56:29 PM »

Yes. I think the concern is that the coercive feminazis, or some such group, will FORCE unisex bathrooms when they are not wanted. Businesses that don't have enough volume of bathroom use use unisex bathrooms all the time.

^^^^^^^^
A18
Atlas Star
Political Matrix
E: 9.23, S: -6.35

« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2005, 03:58:11 PM »

Yes, of course. Better question: if hypothetically a business wanted to not hire black people, would the ACLU support its right to do so?
angus
Atlas Icon
« Reply #44 on: April 19, 2005, 11:21:12 AM »

Yes.  a 70s episode of Sanford & Son dealt very effectively with this issue.  I remember even at the age of seven or so being able to think that the government was unnecessarily oppresive, and being in agreement with Fred Sanford on that particular issue.  Apparently the California government of the 70s did not share our view.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies