Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:58:31 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (search mode)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 152937 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2014, 04:47:51 PM »

Bushie, muscles lift grease pans not minds. If by "put your mind to it" you mean hit the gym and do some squats until you have enough lower body strength to carry the grease, yes, but I know you well enough to know you mean "Focus on Grease Pans" aka do nothing but hope.

If your back hurts from standing too long and your cardio system makes you exhausted from moving around too much, there's nothing mentally you can do about it.  You're going to be in tremendous pain.

Now, if you want to get on a diet of lean meats, fruits, and vegetables, and get a personal trainer, and work out every day, and lose a bunch of weight instead of getting a job, IMO that would be tremendously worth it and would make you far more employable. But we know that's not going to happen. As you are physically, combined with your ADHD and Tourette's you are unemployable at more than the minimum wage. Perhaps unemployable period.

To be fair, my lone fast food experience was 15 years ago at the end of my sophomore year of high school in May 1999 at the local KFC.  I don't really know what I could do now.

On the standing and moving, like I said I may hate myself during my off-hours, as in being in pain, but I could still do it.

I respectfully disagree that I'm unemployable.  My Tourette's are not a stumbling block to employers because they know it's not my fault that I have it and most of the time, my tics don't show up.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2014, 05:15:18 PM »

You've gained a lot of weight from doing no physical exercise since 1999. You'd do about the same or worse.

Hating yourself during off hours is a recipe for quitting/getting fired aka unemployable. If you are going to hate yourself off hours, you aren't fit to do the job.

It's not a stumbling block on its own, but combined with your other problems, it makes it difficult to find something for you to do. If you were fit but had Tourettes and ADHD, there are things you could do. If you had Tourettes and obesity but not ADHD, there are things you could do. All things combined? There's not one task that wouldn't be physically painful or mentally/emotionally straining on you.

You like the idea of working, but you can't actually work. You've proven that time and time again.

So, you're God now?  I didn't know that...
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2014, 05:50:17 PM »

No, I left on my own.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2014, 05:55:24 PM »

So, tomorrow, I have a CAD interview at 1000 and then will go straight to a Tulsa Career Fair afterwords.  I know no one here believes I will get either job, but is it wrong or misguided for me to have faith in myself and my abilities?
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2014, 06:40:12 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 06:42:02 PM by Christmas Bushie 2014 »

So, tomorrow, I have a CAD interview at 1000 and then will go straight to a Tulsa Career Fair afterwords.  I know no one here believes I will get either job, but is it wrong or misguided for me to have faith in myself and my abilities?

You've demonstrated shoddy abilities time and time again (see: All Update, King's Post), that end up getting you fired from a wide variety of employers. But this isn't where the Atlas community damns you. The community has continually stepped in again and again and told you explicitly things you could and must do to improve your life. You could do CAD(D) prep, or interview prep, learn to cook, or exercise, but you opt to do none of these things and instead sleep for 12 hours, watch TV for 10, nap for 1.5, and then fill out job applications for half an hour.

Wow, you are completely misguided.  I do not always sleep for 12 hours, that's a rarity.  Watching TV for 10+ hours is only on weekends.  I job search and prep for interviews ALL DARN DAY!!!!!  You have absolutely zero right of accusing me otherwise.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »

Nothing what King has mentioned is truthful.  He doesn't have any of the answers.  I certainly know more about my abilities and what I can do than he does.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2014, 06:48:28 PM »

Let me just say, I don't have all the answers, either, and I do value your advice, but I value constructive advice, not posts that attack my abilities.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2014, 07:14:01 PM »

Let me just say, I don't have all the answers, either, and I do value your advice, but I value constructive advice, not posts that attack my abilities.

See, you don't understand what constructive advice is. All of the advice here has been constructive. What you are looking for is for us to blindly cheer you on as you walk towards another dead end like your family/friends do when we know how it will end. You have strengths and you have weaknesses. We all do. "Thinking" about things harder or focusing harder on things doesn't always lead to success.

I don't think any Updaters want to see you fail, but you are by far your biggest enemy. Sometimes I wonder if you even read what you are saying.

I know my abilities and I am an excellent judge of my own abilities.  The forum as a whole (not all, but most) says I have no meaningful abilities, thinks I am mentally ill, thinks i am worthless to society, etc.  Or, at least that's what I get from it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2014, 07:21:15 PM »

You've gained a lot of weight from doing no physical exercise since 1999. You'd do about the same or worse.

Hating yourself during off hours is a recipe for quitting/getting fired aka unemployable. If you are going to hate yourself off hours, you aren't fit to do the job.

It's not a stumbling block on its own, but combined with your other problems, it makes it difficult to find something for you to do. If you were fit but had Tourettes and ADHD, there are things you could do. If you had Tourettes and obesity but not ADHD, there are things you could do. All things combined? There's not one task that wouldn't be physically painful or mentally/emotionally straining on you.

You like the idea of working, but you can't actually work. You've proven that time and time again.

So, you're God now?  I didn't know that...

I... I don't get the connection with what I said and God.

You think you know definitively that I can't work?  Only God knows that.  Not you. 
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2014, 07:33:04 PM »

Sure, I have bad luck on the job search, I am not denying that.  Some of it has been self-inflicted.  I'm not denying that, either.  But, that doesn't mean I am not trying to look for meaningful work.  I look for jobs all day long and have been preparing for my interview all day long when I haven't been posting on the forum.  I take time to enjoy myself, as everybody should, but I do take the time to improve myself.  I haven't been home since Thursday so I can't practice my CAD.  I can practice and watch TV at the same time and I don't have to spend all my time on it, either.  I need to spend more than I'm doing now, but I don't need to practice it for hours and hours every single, solitary day.  I am very good at public speaking (I am a supply preacher).
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2014, 07:35:02 PM »

Even this evening, while I watch Monday Night Football, I am going to prepare for my interview and I have been job searching all day and all evening.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2014, 07:45:31 PM »

Trying to look is one part of it but you're not actively becoming someone who can succeed at a job. Unless you get a job as a professional application filler outer, filling out applications isn't preparing for anything.

I have been looking at the company's website extensively and looking through the interview prep material my recruiter gave me.  So, I believe I am preparing for something.  Now, will it land me the job?  We'll see, but I'm doing everything I can to make sure I get it.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: October 20, 2014, 07:47:42 PM »

I can't say that I want Bushie to succeed. He has done nothing to deserve success and isn't a particularly good person. If I had time or money to spend on helping someone it would be a person who was working hard under difficult circumstances and deserved a break.

At least you're honest.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: October 20, 2014, 07:52:37 PM »

What all this talk today boils down to is that I should not stop doing what I'm doing. Everybody (except Gustaf) wants me to succeed, but thinks I should be doing things a little differently.  I think I'm doing what I need to be doing, but I do realize I could be making a few changes.  I am doing everything I need to for tomorrow.  That's all I can focus on right now is Tuesday.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #39 on: October 20, 2014, 08:45:03 PM »

Like I said earlier, I have two things tomorrow.  A 1000 interview in SW OKC and a career fair in Tulsa at 1300ish.  The Tulsa career fair is said to have "on-the-spot consideration".  I'm definitely in a position where I'm going to take the first job that hires me.  My preference would be the Tulsa job even though it pays quite a bit less.  However, with a $15.00 CAD job, I have to try my best at the OKC Interview.  If I do get the OKC job, since it is only a 3-6 month contract, I would still probably keep my apartment in Tulsa and maybe spend the weekends there.  I could go back to Tulsa after my contract at work is up and resume my CAD search up there.  It would give me 3-6 months additional experience which may make a huge difference in future CAD jobs.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #40 on: October 21, 2014, 08:27:59 AM »

Good Tuesday Morning!  I woke up at 0645 and got my shower and all that done.  My car is loaded and I'm ready for the interview.  I will leave for the interview at 0845 and then will go straight to the Tulsa job fair after the interview.  I'm looking forward to being in my own apartment and sleeping in my own bed tonight.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: October 21, 2014, 10:50:14 AM »

Interview went very well.  I should hear something in a week or two.  Now, I'm headed to Tulsa.

Morden, that's a firm no!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: October 21, 2014, 12:18:00 PM »

That was fast!!!  They told me it would take a week or two to get a decision.  However, I stopped here at the McDonalds on the turnpike headed to Tulsa and had a call from my recruiter saying they want to offer me the job!!!!  I, of course, accepted.  The call and email I received were already 25 minutes old so they must have deliberated for 10 minutes or so!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #43 on: October 21, 2014, 02:37:37 PM »

Yes, it is a CAD job, Duke.  The decision was fast, but they must have liked what they heard and seen from me in the hour long interview.  I had to do a drafting demo as part of the interview.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #44 on: October 21, 2014, 02:45:26 PM »

Tweed, I do know the name, I just won't post it here because of Mondale.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #45 on: October 21, 2014, 05:04:41 PM »

Tweed, I will say this is a globally respected defense contractor.  If this plays out with either 3 or 6 months, it will really boost my resume.  I know what to do this time and I will practice every night for a while.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #46 on: October 21, 2014, 06:10:20 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes everybody.  I've learned a few lessons from last time that I will apply to this job.  I will practice on my CAD at home most evenings.  I will focus further attention to the detail.  I will relax and do my job.  They promise to fully train me rather than throw me out to the wolves immediately like I was at my previous company.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #47 on: October 21, 2014, 06:19:33 PM »

The job starts Monday, November 3, 2014.  I will find out the official hours after all my paperwork is complete.  I've sent in my employment paperwork, so my recruiter will have it when she gets in first thing tomorrow.  Because of the job, I am back down at my parents for the night as I came back to talk strategy.  I will go back up to Tulsa tomorrow and spend the weekend up there while I wait to start.  I will attend one last church service at my Tulsa church on Sunday.  I will come back down Monday with my main computer and the things I will need to get started down here.  I will keep the apartment through at least the end of February/beginning of March.  If I still have a job then, I will probably make my decision to move out of the apartment completely by the end of May and move into an apartment in Oklahoma City.  If this job ends after three months, I will likely just go back to Tulsa and resume looking for another CAD job.  This is a 3-6 month contract with the slight possibility of being kept on for another contract after this contract end.  When I get back down here on Monday, I will stay at my parents through Tuesday night, November 4, 2014 and then move in with Grandma on Wednesday night, November 5, 2014.  I will go up to Tulsa on Saturday, November 1, 2014 and cast my ballot early since I won't be able to on Election Day itself.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: October 21, 2014, 06:21:51 PM »

Thanks for the well wishes everybody.  I've learned a few lessons from last time that I will apply to this job.  I will practice on my CAD at home most evenings.  I will focus further attention to the detail.  I will relax and do my job.  They promise to fully train me rather than throw me out to the wolves immediately like I was at my previous company.

Happy you've found something.

But what training do you require? I thought that's what CADD school was for?

Just the training on how they do things and exactly what they want done.  The training is not on drafting itself, but their specifications and requirements.  I wasn't really trained at my previous company, I was just thrown to the wolves and the wolves ate me alive.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #49 on: October 21, 2014, 06:55:33 PM »

Schedule a specific time of day everyday that you absolutely will study CAD. In fact, ask your new supervisor if you could spend time off the clock using the company computer after work to do some practice CAD time. It will look good coming from a new employee and guarantee you so it instead of in the comforts of home.

That's a very good idea.  I will keep that in mind!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 18  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies