Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 17, 2024, 08:57:47 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 151440 times)
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.77, S: 3.48

« on: October 18, 2014, 06:13:28 PM »

We're back at the hotel and in for the evening.  We're pooped, but we had a very good day.  We're going to try to leave between 5 and 6 am tomorrow.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 07:04:07 PM »

They know I post on a political forum, so they think I'm discussing politics.  I also only post while Dad's driving so we're not physically stopped when I post.  They have no idea about the Update!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 11:28:56 AM »

I stayed in the same room with my parents.  Saves money.  We are back in Amarillo on our way to Oklahoma City.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 12:58:55 PM »

We're back in paradise!  (Aka Oklahoma)!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2014, 04:10:04 PM »

Home!!!
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 05:45:25 PM »

bushie when are you officially moving back in with the parents?

Never
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2014, 05:54:00 PM »

when was the last time you stayed in your apartment

Last Wednesday Night, only coming back for a vacation and an interview this Tuesday.  I'll go back to Tulsa after the interview.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2014, 06:41:54 PM »

Is it okay if I quote it in my signature like this?

Be my guest. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

I don't have anywhere to go tomorrow, so I am going to spend the day job searching at my parents' house and also preparing for Tuesday morning's interview.  The interview is at 1000 and I'll return to Tulsa right after the interview.  I should get back to Tulsa by 1300 and should be able to make at least one of the job fairs that I want to go to.  One job fair ends at 1400 and the other ends at 1500.  Depending on what happens with Tuesday's interview, if I don't get the job, I will be down Halloween weekend for family dinners and then I'll wait until Thanksgiving weekend after that to come back down again.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 08:54:11 AM »

I don't have anywhere to go tomorrow, so I am going to spend the day job searching at my parents' house and also preparing for Tuesday morning's interview.  The interview is at 1000 and I'll return to Tulsa right after the interview.  I should get back to Tulsa by 1300 and should be able to make at least one of the job fairs that I want to go to.  One job fair ends at 1400 and the other ends at 1500.  Depending on what happens with Tuesday's interview, if I don't get the job, I will be down Halloween weekend for family dinners and then I'll wait until Thanksgiving weekend after that to come back down again.

translated:  he will watch 15 hours of tv with 3 naps worked in, while stuffing his face with ungodly amounts of food.

then at about 1800 he may quickly submit an online application or two just to get the atlasians off his back.

That is not at all what I said and you know it.  I said what I meant and meant what I said.  That said, I may (repeat may) take a nap, but the rest of the day before and after will be full of job search.  I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see.  Most of the day until 1800 will be job searching and interview preparation.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:09:15 PM »

bushie serious question:  other folks have asked, but i dont think youve ever given a good answer:  what makes you think you deserve at least $11 an hour?

i have a college degree.  i was out of the work force for a while.  i took a job at wendy's  on the late night shift washing dishes and scrubbing toilets for $8.85 an hour.  because i basically had to.  now, ive a better job.  but it takes work.  not just laying around and watching cable tv all day feeling entitled.

I've replied before that worth has NOTHING to do with it.  I NEED $11+ in order to make the most of my time and ease the burden on Mom and Dad.  I don't know how in the world that's not a good enough answer, but it's the only answer you're going to get.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »

I have nothing against those working for lower wages, but I am not going to apply for anything paying less.  Everyone here thinks I can only work minimum wage jobs and be stuck there my entire life, but I do deserve to be paid more.  Heck, I'm worth $20 an hour, but I know I won't get it.  $11-$12 is as low as I can go.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:56 PM »

What's funny is everyone here thinks I'm being lazy and not actively looking for a job and napping all day or watching 15 hours of TV everyday.  Everybody are grossly mistaken if they think that.  The thing is I'm actively seeking employment during all business hours.  I may take a short nap here and there and I do watch TV, but that does not mean I'm being completely lazy.  I can search and watch TV at the same time.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 01:34:46 PM »

Precisely.  That's how old my kid is.  She changed careers in her mid-twenties, went back to school, and after graduation had to work for sh**t wages and never-ending hours as she started up the food chain (literally) as a chef.  Now she does fine.   The years she put in to get there she did so being totally underpaid.  But that's how everyone has to start so she's nothing special, just a hard worker......so do it and quit whining.

I'm not whining or complaining.  I just have my own criteria (criteria that are not misguided) for jobs that I will entertain.  Besides, I'm not desperate enough to work minimum wage jobs.  Also, I've tried fast food restaurants, but I cannot lift the darn grease pans to clean up without spilling it all over the floor.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2014, 02:12:40 PM »

That was obviously a typo.  I meant to say "should not need a nap".
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2014, 02:22:21 PM »

I don't understand the logic here. Bushie NEEDS $11/hour to ease the burden on his parents, yet he refuses to make any money whatsoever in the meantime. I bet $250/week would help ease their burden if he took a temporary job while looking for full-time employment.

Of course, he doesn't think that way and would never agree with me.

I also still can't get over what a prideful man he is. His snobbery rivals even the worst people I know and he has no reason to be whatsoever. This is a guy that hasn't held a steady job in 5 years. What makes him think he's better than other people?

At no time have I ever said or implied that I'm better than other people.  I'm just relaying my own needs.  The $11.00 an hour is something my parents and I have discussed together.  Personally, I wouldn't mind going for a $9 or $10, but they want me to get $11 an hour or more even if it means waiting a little longer.  Since I am in their checkbook, I am inclined and kind of obligated to agree with them.  In no way do I think I am better than minimum wage workers.  I understand their desire to make more money, I just can't be in their shoes and not live paycheck to paycheck.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2014, 02:35:37 PM »

Even if I did take a lower-paying job.  Why would I apply to a job that pays, say, $9.00 over a job that pays $11-$12 that I am equally qualified for on paper?

Tomorrow for instance, my interview pays $15.00 an hour for 3-6 months contract and it is a CAD job.  I will go to a job fair in Tulsa right after that which has consideration on the spot and pays $11.50 an hour for a permanent opportunity.  Obviously, I will try as hard as I can for the $15.00 job because it is CAD and it may lead to another CAD job.  Though, if I get offered the $11.50 job right away, you bet I will take it even though it pays $13.50 an hour less.  The biggest two things about the lower-paying job is it is in Tulsa and offers permanent employment.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2014, 03:21:47 PM »

Jeff, I know the "worth" question comes across as offensive, but it's actually reasonably good interview preparation. Why do you believe that you're worth $20 an hour ... or $11 an hour? Your honest answer as to the attributes that could make you worth that amount (rather than a "my parents have discussed and determined that's what I need to make" answer) may help you think through what you bring to the table ... and maybe reveal some deficiencies, as well.

Additionally -- and I think this is a question worth pondering and answering -- why aren't you considering two jobs? I agree with you that $11.00 an hour multiplied by 2,080 hours per year is better for you than $8.00 an hour. BUT -- if your own employment background or skillset don't lend themselves to a stable and consistent $11.00 an hour position (and so far, they flat-out have not), isn't it worth considering two jobs -- one full time and one part time -- that pay less but are more-stable for you? It's not as if you don't have the time for a part-time job, and millions who find themselves in similar financial circumstances pursue two jobs as an option.

As far as the two jobs, I get worn out very easily.  I've answered this before, but I've always been attacked for it, but if I take on too many things on my plate, burn out comes very fast.  I have actually physically passed out from being too tired.  Two jobs would almost certainly eliminate my weekends, leaving me virtually no time to rest.  It would be more disastrous to my health than my eating and exercise habits.  I physically cannot work two jobs.  I admire those who can, but I physically cannot.  It's not because I'm lazy, but it's my personal health.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2014, 03:22:08 PM »

Why not apply to all jobs you are qualified for and know you can do? The worst that can happen is turning them down for a better offer.

I already do that.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2014, 03:50:25 PM »

Jeff, I know the "worth" question comes across as offensive, but it's actually reasonably good interview preparation. Why do you believe that you're worth $20 an hour ... or $11 an hour? Your honest answer as to the attributes that could make you worth that amount (rather than a "my parents have discussed and determined that's what I need to make" answer) may help you think through what you bring to the table ... and maybe reveal some deficiencies, as well.

Additionally -- and I think this is a question worth pondering and answering -- why aren't you considering two jobs? I agree with you that $11.00 an hour multiplied by 2,080 hours per year is better for you than $8.00 an hour. BUT -- if your own employment background or skillset don't lend themselves to a stable and consistent $11.00 an hour position (and so far, they flat-out have not), isn't it worth considering two jobs -- one full time and one part time -- that pay less but are more-stable for you? It's not as if you don't have the time for a part-time job, and millions who find themselves in similar financial circumstances pursue two jobs as an option.

As far as the two jobs, I get worn out very easily.  I've answered this before, but I've always been attacked for it, but if I take on too many things on my plate, burn out comes very fast.  I have actually physically passed out from being too tired.  Two jobs would almost certainly eliminate my weekends, leaving me virtually no time to rest.  It would be more disastrous to my health than my eating and exercise habits.  I physically cannot work two jobs.  I admire those who can, but I physically cannot.  It's not because I'm lazy, but it's my personal health.

And the first part of the post?

I'm still trying to think of what to say.  To use a funny, I know anything I say can and will be used against me in the court of the Atlas Forum, so I'm trying to carefully construct my words. Smiley
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2014, 03:59:34 PM »

Also, once again, construction/demolition companies don't pay horribly, and they'll even hire ex-convicts, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a job.
That's hard work though. We should find him something air conditioned and comfortable.

Yeah, as much as I appreciate the suggestion, I wouldn't last a day, maybe two, there.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2014, 04:07:06 PM »
« Edited: October 20, 2014, 04:15:46 PM by Christmas Bushie 2014 »

If Bushie was worth $20/hour then he would have no problem not being fired from jobs that pay just over half of that.

I can't let it get to me despite the repeated drops, if that's what you mean.  Clearly I need to do things differently the next time, but I'm not let it bothering me any more than showing me where I need to change.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2014, 04:27:40 PM »

i think im worth $20/hour.  im not getting paid $20.  So i think i will just go in and quit my job.

/bushielogic

That is not my logic at all.  My logic is, I'm worth $20, I likely won't get paid $20, but I won't quit my job.  You notice my low end threshold is nearly half of what I think I'm worth.  I fully understand others may not think I'm worth $20.  Some may think less, but some may think more.  That's why I said worth does not factor into my job search at all or my consideration of a job.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2014, 04:32:43 PM »

Bushie, stating you physically get easily exhausted, can't do the physical labor to work fast food, mentally do not improve fast enough in your educated field, mentally are prone to boneheaded mistakes, emotionally struggle with customer service interaction, etc. only paints a picture that you are completely unfit for any kind of employment.

Given your monetary demands and your admitted shortcomings, I couldn't create a stable job for you if I tried. I've worked in offices a long time and just running through all the tasks that have to be performed from bottom to top:

>File clerk, a lot of bending, standing, moving around. No.
>Mail clerk, can't live heavy shipped items like paper and bottled water. No.
>Front receptionist, not physically attractive for customers. No.
>Secretary/general clerk, can't answer the phones. No.
>Custodian, too much physical labor. No.
>Proofreader, ADHD and slow at learning to understand new material. No.
>Accountant, paralegal, bookkeeping, server administration, etc., etc. no education credentials

Okay, you have gone too far in the other direction.  I can work almost a lot of jobs.  If I put my mind to it, I could lift that grease pan.  I could stand behind the counter at the department store.  I've got a lot of things I can do if I set my mind to it and that was my means of paying my bills.  I may hate myself in the evenings or in my off-hours just by being dog tired, but I can do it.  I may be a wimp, but I'm not totally useless.
Joe Biden 2020
BushOklahoma
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2014, 04:37:06 PM »

i think im worth $20/hour.  im not getting paid $20.  So i think i will just go in and quit my job.

/bushielogic

That is not my logic at all.  My logic is, I'm worth $20, I likely won't get paid $20, but I won't quit my job.  You notice my low end threshold is nearly half of what I think I'm worth.  I fully understand others may not think I'm worth $20.  Some may think less, but some may think more.  That's why I said worth does not factor into my job search at all or my consideration of a job.

"My low end threshold is nearly half of what I think I'm worth. . . worth does not factor into my job search at all."

The lowest wage you'll accept is $11/hour but you will not take that into consideration when looking for a job?

I just need a job, a good job that I can get closer to funding my own bills.  I can't do that very easy with anything less than $11.00.  I "might" consider $10.00 if I find the right opportunity, but definitely not single digits.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 18  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies