Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 02:41:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 152129 times)
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« on: October 18, 2014, 10:29:36 AM »

Memphis needs suspended for this season for his lack of empathy towards Papa.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »

You know, if Bushie likes it here, moving here might be a good idea. There is a loophole someone who loves driving like him can exploit. Santa Fe's minimum wage is $10.66 an hour and people get paid way above that just to do menial tasks, especially during high tourism months. A friend from high school works as a security guard for a gated community in Santa Fe, makes $25/hr, and owns a house in the Albuquerque suburbs.

If he's willing to commute 45 minutes coming and going, he could seriously work at a Wendy's in SF and support himself with an apartment in Enchanted Hills or Bernallilo for about $500 a month.  There are probably call centers and CAD here, too.

Al's suggestion of cleaning public toilets has to be good for $18 or so.   
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 03:25:00 PM »

Memphis needs suspended for this season for his lack of empathy towards Papa.

it was also disrespectful for bushie to say his father 'only' works 40 hours a week.

meanwhile bushie lounges around watching the super duper cable package.

It's more disrespectful that Bushie doesn't factor in the hours and hours of game planning and talking to time Dad has to have with him because he's out of a job again, various other tasks associated with Bushie seemingly staying at his parent's house for days on end, and running back on forth to Tulsa to pick up his crap because Bushie has the sniffles.  I'm aware Dad offers this stuff and may even enjoy the rides... I said this last season, but nevertheless it is still work... "toils" as our fallen friend used to say. 

Excellent points by walter and Hokey.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 09:49:20 PM »

We're back at the hotel and in for the evening.  We're pooped, but we had a very good day.  We're going to try to leave between 5 and 6 am tomorrow.

Definitely read that as "We've." I was about to say that this has definitely crossed a line with details.

Was just about to post this...

After a night of Mexican food they'll be fighting for a turn. Ugh.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2014, 09:51:09 PM »

BUSHIE please tell us you have your own hotel room? 
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2014, 10:49:39 AM »

Obviously, going for the ride is its own reward.

Just like my dog.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 06:11:55 AM »

I will be down Halloween weekend for family dinners

RIP GRANNY.   Cry
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2014, 09:36:36 AM »

I just slept for 11 hours, so I should need a nap today, but we'll see. 

Freudian typing 101.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2014, 01:14:45 PM »

bushie serious question:  other folks have asked, but i dont think youve ever given a good answer:  what makes you think you deserve at least $11 an hour?

i have a college degree.  i was out of the work force for a while.  i took a job at wendy's  on the late night shift washing dishes and scrubbing toilets for $8.85 an hour.  because i basically had to.  now, ive a better job.  but it takes work.  not just laying around and watching cable tv all day feeling entitled.

I've replied before that worth has NOTHING to do with it.  I NEED $11+ in order to make the most of my time and ease the burden on Mom and Dad.  I don't know how in the world that's not a good enough answer, but it's the only answer you're going to get.

So $9 won't help the burden?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »

The refusal to take $8 or $9 is simply nutso when his parents are struggling to pay his rent and other bills.  My kid would be homeless if she did that sh**t.  I wouldn't pay a dime.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2014, 01:30:37 PM »

Precisely.  That's how old my kid is.  She changed careers in her mid-twenties, went back to school, and after graduation had to work for sh**t wages and never-ending hours as she started up the food chain (literally) as a chef.  Now she does fine.   The years she put in to get there she did so being totally underpaid.  But that's how everyone has to start so she's nothing special, just a hard worker......so do it and quit whining.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2014, 02:55:52 PM »

Why would I apply to a job that pays, say, $9.00 over a job that pays $11-$12 that I am equally qualified for on paper?

Because you have a decent chance of retaining a $9/hour job, unlike the $11+/hour jobs that you are only qualified for on paper.

Plus $9 > $0.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2014, 09:32:18 PM »

Like I said earlier, I have two things tomorrow.  A 1000 interview in SW OKC and a career fair in Tulsa at 1300ish.  The Tulsa career fair is said to have "on-the-spot consideration".  I'm definitely in a position where I'm going to take the first job that hires me.  My preference would be the Tulsa job even though it pays quite a bit less.  However, with a $15.00 CAD job, I have to try my best at the OKC Interview.  If I do get the OKC job, since it is only a 3-6 month contract, I would still probably keep my apartment in Tulsa and maybe spend the weekends there.  I could go back to Tulsa after my contract at work is up and resume my CAD search up there.  It would give me 3-6 months additional experience which may make a huge difference in future CAD jobs.

You can afford a weekend getaway apartment ?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2014, 09:35:12 PM »

According to his facial book, yes.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #14 on: October 21, 2014, 11:03:45 AM »

He doesn't drive in rain or snow and cant' walk  up a large flight of steps.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #15 on: October 21, 2014, 01:13:13 PM »

That was fast!!!  They told me it would take a week or two to get a decision.  However, I stopped here at the McDonalds on the turnpike headed to Tulsa and had a call from my recruiter saying they want to offer me the job!!!!  I, of course, accepted.  The call and email I received were already 25 minutes old so they must have deliberated for 10 minutes or so!!

Getting the call while snarfing down Big Macs......Awesome.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #16 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:22 PM »

Lol. A  big time defense contractor hired Bushie in 10 minutes. Another BS job he's pulling on us.  Oh and RIP Granny.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #17 on: October 21, 2014, 08:05:53 PM »

Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #18 on: October 22, 2014, 06:01:13 AM »

If this job is in OKC, can you just break the lease in Tulsa and move out of there, presumably paying some sort of penalty?  How high would such a penalty be?  Cheaper than maintaining two separate apartments for all this time?  Or is breaking the lease legally impossible?

You're assuming continuous employment for the next 3-6 months. The track record isn't good enough for an assumption like that, MM.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #19 on: October 22, 2014, 01:25:45 PM »

Because of the job, I am back down at my parents for the night as I came back to talk strategy. 

Oh I would have loved to be a fly on the wall for that talk.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #20 on: October 22, 2014, 02:10:13 PM »

My God I heart Bushie's sister-in-law.......she hammered him again today.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #21 on: October 22, 2014, 03:39:24 PM »
« Edited: October 22, 2014, 03:44:05 PM by Grumpy Old Fart »

Just make sure my license hasn't expired.  It's supposed to be a 3-year license, so I should be okay, but I want to make sure.

If you're uncertain then you haven't turned the program on in ages, in spite of telling us that you did.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #22 on: October 23, 2014, 05:35:57 AM »

Poor Granny.  More guests. More work.  RIP.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #23 on: October 23, 2014, 11:32:56 AM »

Will you nap everyday until your new job starts?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #24 on: October 24, 2014, 05:28:51 AM »

Does Granny have the high end cable package you have in Tulsa? 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies