Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 06:29:39 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch (search mode)
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8
Author Topic: Update XVIII: 15 Miles From Lunch  (Read 151769 times)
Starbucks Union Thug HokeyPuck
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« on: October 18, 2014, 11:37:19 AM »

Since he's not going to the mountain because he has ebola, what else is there to do in Albuquerque?

I have no idea why Bushie doesn't become a drug dealer.  He won't even sip wine, forget touching his own stash.  And could you imagine the market in the outskirts of OKC!?  I know I'd be operating on a multitude of psychoactives.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2014, 02:31:58 PM »

I don't know when you guys are going to get it through your head that Bushie is not going to do any job that doesn't involve throwing on a shirt and tie in the morning so he can pretend he's Leave It To Beaver's dad. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2014, 02:45:01 PM »

Memphis needs suspended for this season for his lack of empathy towards Papa.

it was also disrespectful for bushie to say his father 'only' works 40 hours a week.

meanwhile bushie lounges around watching the super duper cable package.

It's more disrespectful that Bushie doesn't factor in the hours and hours of game planning and talking to time Dad has to have with him because he's out of a job again, various other tasks associated with Bushie seemingly staying at his parent's house for days on end, and running back on forth to Tulsa to pick up his crap because Bushie has the sniffles.  I'm aware Dad offers this stuff and may even enjoy the rides... I said this last season, but nevertheless it is still work... "toils" as our fallen friend used to say. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2014, 06:25:09 PM »

Since he's not going to the mountain because he has ebola, what else is there to do in Albuquerque?

I have no idea why Bushie doesn't become a drug dealer.  He won't even sip wine, forget touching his own stash.  And could you imagine the market in the outskirts of OKC!?  I know I'd be operating on a multitude of psychoactives.

Do you even read Update? Bushie would get arrested almost instantly.

Who would suspect a large, seemingly incompetent Christian whose idea of a wild night is a game of Monopoly that goes past 11pm?  Perfect crime, gentlemen.

EDIT: and these would be Oklahoma cops, and Bushie is a white.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 11:03:11 PM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?

He;s certainly the king of the mandane.  

I can't get over how they fit in several family dinners into one weekend.  
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2014, 02:50:37 AM »

If you're ever, ever, ever going to pull yourself out of this seemingly endless cycle, you'll need to actually follow through toward your vision. Based on your work performance, I suspect that your actual execution on the job is more like the type of person who hopes to hide in the workplace and hope the boss never notices you, rather than someone who is actually interested in building a career.

You ought to try something very simple in order to start making progress. This is an old story about (I believe) Andrew Carnegie. Each night before you go to bed, take a 3x5 notecard and write the five most important things that you can do the next day, and rank them in order of importance.

My guess is that this list would never include "Watching four football games" or "Eat at Braums." The list should be meaningful and important things that help you build toward your vision. Make the first (as an example):

1. Spend one hour doing AutoCADD training on Lynda.com
2. Take a 20-minute walk
3. Go to the grocery store and buy a week's worth of fruits and vegetables
4. Call and email contacts at CADD school to ask about potential connections for the job search
5. Research how to sublease your Tulsa apartment, in the event you land a job in OKC

At the beginning of each day, review your list and knock off the items one by one. Make sure these items build toward larger goals and, ultimately, your vision.

Requoted because I can tell already, we're back to usual -- quoting dates and meaningless activities like "staying with various family members," "seeing if the apartment is OK" and "shopping with Mom." Those aren't meaningful activities, Jeff. What are you going to do to start thriving instead of simply surviving?

He;s certainly the king of the mandane.  

I can't get over how they fit in several family dinners into one weekend.  

Unnecessary car trips to do things that could be done online or over the phone...constant dinners to "visit" with distant relatives or church acquaintances...taking multiple medications throughout the day...occasionally getting up to move around...

...Jeff's typical daily routine mirrors that of a 70 year-old woman.

Well, is not Bushie's current social circle 50% little old ladies?  (Our Dear Friend, Mama Bushie, Papa Bushie, Granny)?

I get family time, but it doesn't seem like he's even trying to have a life with the church friends.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #6 on: October 23, 2014, 08:32:30 AM »

Did you guys have fun making fun of me overnight?  The stuff I'm going to be doing maybe strange to some, but no one can say they are really wrong.

Oh Bushie.  Making fun of hanging with Granny, Mom, and Dad is lighthearted teasing at the worst.  Have you not been spending a ton of time with the family? 

We all know you're a strange bird in some respects.  No doubt about that.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2014, 12:35:28 PM »

Will you nap everyday until your new job starts?

Naps are fine.  opebo liked naps and he's literally the opposite of Bushie. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2014, 12:53:07 PM »

Naps included, how many hours does Bushie sleep on average per day? 10? 12?

Where do we honestly think Our Dear Friend fits on the cat-sloth sleep continuum? 

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 01:14:08 PM »

Yea.  Another season of incessant updates from work and going pants shopping with Grandma at Wal-Mart.  Riveting. 

When does Allison come back into the picture?  Is being a CADDman impressive? 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 04:52:29 PM »

I was on Monster looking at jobs today and they had an ad for call center work.  I guess even out here, far from any Oklahomans, people work in call centers. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 05:59:17 PM »

bushie it sounds like you are just going to be a burden on poor granny.

I have to have a place to stay and I can't afford rent at two apartments, and I am not going to sublease the Tulsa Apartment, so I can't see how you can say something so outrageous, when you know darn well that will not be the case.

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 07:32:06 PM »

I was wondering when we would get our next Christian diatribe from Mr. Brown.  I see tonight it's "clean through the lens of Christ's blood."  It's a lovely turn of phrase and I thoroughly enjoy it every time.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: October 23, 2014, 09:04:56 PM »

Guys, Bushie didn't teach himself this nonsense.  We want to pile on Jeff, and its not 100% either way, but a lot of what he's taught is very harmful.  He, nor any religious is conditioned to question it, but it's true.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2014, 10:45:45 AM »

bushie it sounds like you are just going to be a burden on poor granny.

I have to have a place to stay and I can't afford rent at two apartments, and I am not going to sublease the Tulsa Apartment, so I can't see how you can say something so outrageous, when you know darn well that will not be the case.

Keeping the Tulsa apartment is smart since this job is only 3 months........but Granny will be cooking 3 meals a day, extra laundry, extra cleaning, extra utilities, and your constantly visiting never ending supply of wayward aunts and uncles to make dinners for.  Poor Granny, indeed.

I will do my own laundry while I'm there and I will help fix dinner.  Her other daughter and son-in-law will be coming through October 30 and leaving November 4 and then her niece and nephew will be coming through November 12-15.  After that, there won't be any company until the aunt and uncle come back through in March to celebrate his dad's 90th birthday.  They only come through to check on their elderly parents.  My aunt always does the cooking and cleaning while she visits and invites his dad over for most of the meals so as to feed them at one time.  Grandma and his dad only live 6 miles apart.  Grandma (aunt's mom) will be 89 in April and his dad will be 90 in March.  Grandma is still strong, but her short-term memory is starting to slip and his dad can no longer drive or see or hear that well.  Part of my duties while I live with her will be to help take care of her and make sure she's okay and be an extra set of eyes and ears for Mom incase she needs help.  The time will come that Grandma will no longer be able to live alone.  For now, though, she is doing great for an 88 1/2 year old other than a little slip in the memory.  I'll be waiting on her some as she waits on me some.

Oh my.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2014, 12:52:21 PM »

Nowt wrong with staying over, but the general rule would be that she only cooks for you if she insists (i.e. a situation in which to suggest otherwise would be offensive). And you do the washing up.

The thing is, Bushie is so far into the man-child mindset, so is his family, that she will insist she cooks.  And this is a man who has extreme trouble with spaghetti... he'll starve if Granny leaves him alone unless they get microwavable chicken fingers for him.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2014, 01:13:56 PM »

I certainly don't expect her to wait on me at all, but you have to understand, I have to have a place to stay while I'm working.

Yes, but it's not like you didn't have the option. You're just too lazy/socially anxious to entertain the option of subleasing your apartment in Tulsa and using the money to get an apartment in OKC.

I wonder why, because subleasing seems like that type of monetary adventure that Bushie loves to get himself into. 

Bushie... rent it out to some University Of Tulsa students.  What could possibly go wrong?
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 02:40:33 AM »

you don't make a 90 year old woman cook and clean for you

Like I said for most of the meals, we will cook together and I will clean up after myself, do my own laundry, and do everything that I would normally do by myself except eating somewhat healthier meals with more frequency, eating less fast food.  I will insist on pitching in on the grocery bill.  She has a very nice yard that I can walk around in so I can start following my doctor's recommendations from my September appointment.  Walmart is just 3 miles away so I will have an indoor place to go walking when it gets too cold outside to walk.  Plus, I can start walking with my pastor again.  I'll live there rent free, because she won't accept my money, but I will pitch in on certain things.  I'll make enough money that I can live a little more comfortably with her and not have to worry about too much except getting up every morning for work.

Really, the benefits of this stay with her far outweigh the negative.  She will drive me up the wall on occasion and I may drive her up the other wall, but I can work and get a head start on the next bill that I hope to pay off in 13 months.  I can also look after her and make sure she's doing okay and be there to alert Mom if things go south with her.

I love how Bushie is using this as a defense here.  I will walk and walk some more. 

Please do, Jeff, because just walking should not be a chore. 

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 09:50:52 AM »

Good Morning, friends.  I don't blame you for abandoning me and jumping ship, but I want to tell you that my response to Patrick was completely honest and 100% how I felt.  I know it sounds like part of the "cycle", but it came out of a true, repentant, broken heart.  There is no reason I should have been so prideful.  I didn't have to agree with what was being said, but I didn't have to get so pridefully upset about it.  I don't blame you if you still want to stay away, but I would be honored if you would give me another chance even though I don't deserve it.  Think about it and do what you feel is best.  I will not be upset or offended either way.

I for one will never truly give up on you, Bushie.

Neither will I.  I make sarcastic jokes, but I do want to see you turn things around with this next job.  I just hope that if you do wind up at Grandma's, use the opportunity to for her to have someone to tend to her. (This is assuming she lives alone)
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #19 on: October 26, 2014, 10:50:55 AM »

at least he "found" 4 pairs of khakis, which might save as much as $100.

You know Mom and Dad were thrilled with this development, and probably had an extra nice Sunday breakfast.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: October 26, 2014, 11:15:02 AM »

at least he "found" 4 pairs of khakis, which might save as much as $100.

You know Mom and Dad were thrilled with this development, and probably had an extra nice Sunday breakfast.

Let's hope Papa Bushie stashed away some of the savings for a new train!

: D

HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #21 on: October 26, 2014, 02:46:34 PM »

I don't care what Gustaf has to say.  His accusations are completely false and inaccurate.  He has his right to live in fantasyland and he has his right to hate me.  The fact is that nobody is better than anybody else.  To say otherwise is prideful and utterly false.  I guess he not only does not wish I succeed, but he probably is rooting for me to fail.  What a guy!

The fact is I am trying my best to right the ship.  I've got a job, a good job, and I'm working to get out of my parents' checkbook.  Just because they are helping me out does not mean I am a horrible person or not as good as those who are self-sufficient.  I am a very prideful man and it is clear that Gustaf is a very prideful and angry child.

Agreed.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2014, 10:57:41 PM »

You alright, Bushie?  You're going heavier on the Bible stuff than usual the past few days. 
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2014, 11:14:04 PM »

You alright, Bushie?  You're going heavier on the Bible stuff than usual the past few days. 

I'm fine.  I just feel the need to defend my faith.

I agree.  Religiouses are the ones that need to be defending their wacky beliefs, not atheists on why we don't have them.  I'm glad you are so sensible on this issue, Jeff.
HockeyDude
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2014, 11:16:25 PM »

I still can't imagine a religion where you're told you can do whatever you want as long as you accept Jesus as Lord. I know you say it isn't a license to sin, but that's exactly what you use it as and use God as a crutch whenever you commit a sin.

I've never been taught that it's ok to do whatever you want because hey, its not your fault, God is just not finished working on you yet! It seems like a perversion of Christianity that so many people buy into these days.

It's just literalism.  He takes it how it says.  The Bible gives all these guidelines, but it's all about accepting Jesus at the end of the day.  Jeff may try to follow some of those guidelines, and may fail horribly.  Hell, he might not not follow the suggestions at all.  It's all about that water on the head and the "I accept you, Jesus"!  That's all you need. 
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies