have you ever protested Kerry or Bush?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 11:47:30 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2004 U.S. Presidential Election
  have you ever protested Kerry or Bush?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: When they campaigned, did you ever protest either candidate?
yes Kerry

yes Bush

yes, both

nope, neither

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 35

Author Topic: have you ever protested Kerry or Bush?  (Read 5495 times)
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 06, 2005, 10:47:04 PM »

I protested Kerry when he was at the South Campus of MCC.
Pissed off a LOT of Democrats, found the Republican protesters and they weren't thrilled either.

Didn't get a chance to protest Bush because the silverdome is quite a drive and I had class to attend, but I wanted to.
Jake
dubya2004
Atlas Icon
Cuba

Political Matrix
E: -0.90, S: -0.35

« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2005, 10:49:09 PM »

I only campaign positively for my candidate.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2005, 11:20:46 PM »

I don’t dislike Bush’s policies  enough to risk being arrested because I was using my right to free speech in a public area.  That happened here a couple years ago (before the election campaign)  The guy was outside a building in which Bush was speaking holding a placard and it was an area in which all and sundry were pernited, including those who were there for reasons totally unrelated to Bush being there.  However, he was told to leave by the Praetorian Guard (Secret Service) and foolishly thought he had a right to free speech in this country.  Now it would have been one thing if he had tried his protesting in an area that had been restricted to only Bush supporters, but that wasn’t the nature of the area at all.  That said, had the President been a Democrat, I’m sure the Praetorian Guard would have been just as obnoxious.  I applaud them for protecting the President’s person, but their job description should not include prtecting him from hearing discouraging words.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2005, 11:01:00 AM »

I think most protests are inane, and the tactic has been way overused.

It would be far better to spare this tactic for only the most serious situations.

Part of my attitude probably comes from having grown up in the aftermath of the 1960s.  I came to believe that many people protest just for the sake of belonging to something, and not because they have even the slightest understanding of the issues involving their protests.

While demonstrations are sometimes beneficial, the left in particular has become overly dependent on them, to the exclusion of actually doing anything positive about the things they profess to care about.  Demonstrations about many issues are simply childish, akin to sitting in your high chair and screaming and throwing things until somebody else fixes the reason you're not happy.  The more adult approach is to find a constructive contribution to make toward fixing problems, but this is beyond the intellect and real commitment of many protestors.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2005, 02:43:29 PM »

I don’t dislike Bush’s policies  enough to risk being arrested because I was using my right to free speech in a public area.  That happened here a couple years ago (before the election campaign)  The guy was outside a building in which Bush was speaking holding a placard and it was an area in which all and sundry were pernited, including those who were there for reasons totally unrelated to Bush being there.  However, he was told to leave by the Praetorian Guard (Secret Service) and foolishly thought he had a right to free speech in this country.  Now it would have been one thing if he had tried his protesting in an area that had been restricted to only Bush supporters, but that wasn’t the nature of the area at all.  That said, had the President been a Democrat, I’m sure the Praetorian Guard would have been just as obnoxious.  I applaud them for protecting the President’s person, but their job description should not include prtecting him from hearing discouraging words.

You're pretty rebel today.
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2005, 03:00:28 PM »

Thank you.  Every once in a while I feel the need to express my inner anarchist.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2005, 11:12:35 PM »

It would be far better to spare this tactic for only the most serious situations.

Part of my attitude probably comes from having grown up in the aftermath of the 1960s.  I came to believe that many people protest just for the sake of belonging to something, and not because they have even the slightest understanding of the issues involving their protests.

While demonstrations are sometimes beneficial, the left in particular has become overly dependent on them, to the exclusion of actually doing anything positive about the things they profess to care about.  Demonstrations about many issues are simply childish, akin to sitting in your high chair and screaming and throwing things until somebody else fixes the reason you're not happy.  The more adult approach is to find a constructive contribution to make toward fixing problems, but this is beyond the intellect and real commitment of many protestors.

I'll agree protesting is mostly useless.  I protested and got in arguments, lots of Dems got really pissed at my poster "4 years with John Kerry would be the SAME AS BUSH"- and I listed how both support the Patriot Act, gun control, big government,..ect.  It was interesting talking to the few handful of people at the rally who were able to carry on a good civil conversation.  The Bush protestors were'nt happy either, but I did find someone who said he was voting Badnarik and Bush supporting Patriot Act was crossing the line.  I know that I really didn't do much, but if I was able to convince even a few people to change their vote for Badnarik or even consider alternate options, I think it was worth my time.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2005, 11:22:51 PM »

I'll agree protesting is mostly useless.  I protested and got in arguments, lots of Dems got really pissed at my poster "4 years with John Kerry would be the SAME AS BUSH"- and I listed how both support the Patriot Act, gun control, big government,..ect.  It was interesting talking to the few handful of people at the rally who were able to carry on a good civil conversation.  The Bush protestors were'nt happy either, but I did find someone who said he was voting Badnarik and Bush supporting Patriot Act was crossing the line.  I know that I really didn't do much, but if I was able to convince even a few people to change their vote for Badnarik or even consider alternate options, I think it was worth my time.

You're wrong on the Patriot Act. Kerry favored weakening the Patriot Act. Bush facors strengthening the Patriot Act. While there'd be big government under both adminstrations, at least Kerry would be fiscally responsible and not have a tax cut of the minute.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2005, 11:26:50 PM »

Yes I was in an anti-war protest just before it started.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2005, 01:46:47 AM »

Err yes, but it was after the election.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2005, 06:40:51 AM »

On March 20, 2004 I went to an anti-war demonstration
Sam Spade
SamSpade
Atlas Star

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2005, 12:36:47 PM »

What dazzleman just said.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -10.00, S: -9.92

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2005, 12:48:27 PM »

I don’t dislike Bush’s policies  enough to risk being arrested because I was using my right to free speech in a public area.  That happened here a couple years ago (before the election campaign)  The guy was outside a building in which Bush was speaking holding a placard and it was an area in which all and sundry were pernited, including those who were there for reasons totally unrelated to Bush being there.  However, he was told to leave by the Praetorian Guard (Secret Service) and foolishly thought he had a right to free speech in this country.  Now it would have been one thing if he had tried his protesting in an area that had been restricted to only Bush supporters, but that wasn’t the nature of the area at all.

This is more proof that Bush's followers are intolerant of anyone who dares to disagree with him.
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2005, 12:55:02 PM »

Back during the 2000 campaign, Bush displayed his intolerance of dissent at Devou Park in Covington, KY.

I was there to witness the whole thing.

A young woman made an anti-Bush sign that said "GEORGE BUSH, BITE MY TUSH", and some Nazi wearing a Bush t-shirt came along and violently ripped the sign out of her hand and threw it at her.

I tried chasing the Nazi, but two Nazi police officers started a fight with me, instead of arresting the Nazi who started the confrontation.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2005, 03:28:56 PM »

Back during the 2000 campaign, Bush displayed his intolerance of dissent at Devou Park in Covington, KY.

A young woman made an anti-Bush sign that said "GEORGE BUSH, BITE MY TUSH", and some Nazi wearing a Bush t-shirt came along and violently ripped the sign out of her hand and threw it at her.

I tried chasing the Nazi, but two Nazi police officers started a fight with me, instead of arresting the Nazi who started the confrontation.

How did George W. Bush display this intolerance? That is like saying that the band AC/DC are all dirty thieves because someone wearing an AC/DC t-shirt stole something.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2005, 07:15:31 PM »
« Edited: April 11, 2005, 07:17:07 PM by RED NJ AVATAR »

A Bush supporter threw my Kerry Edwards sign out a window election night. Rather than get mad I jumped out the window. It was only somethin like a ten foot drop and was at least entertaining. The thing that really pissed me off was when my bumper stickers kept getting stolen. AND I LIVE IN A DEMOCRATIC COUNTY!!!!
Bandit3 the Worker
Populist3
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2005, 07:24:09 PM »

A Bush supporter threw my Kerry Edwards sign out a window election night. Rather than get mad I jumped out the window. It was only somethin like a ten foot drop and was at least entertaining. The thing that really pissed me off was when my bumper stickers kept getting stolen. AND I LIVE IN A DEMOCRATIC COUNTY!!!!

Just a couple weeks ago, someone cut the front brake on my bike because it had a Kerry sticker.
Redefeatbush04

« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2005, 07:28:51 PM »

Just a couple weeks ago, someone cut the front brake on my bike because it had a Kerry sticker.

Are you sure it was because of the Kerry sticker? If so that is ed up! If people can't stand to here the opposing viewpoint it might be out of fear that the opposing viewpoint has some validity, and that they get proved wrong. Cutting your brakeline because you are a Kerry supporter will not make you less likely to support Kerry - if anything it will make you more likely to support him.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2005, 08:44:42 PM »

Yes.  I wasn't really protesting Kerry.  Rather, I just went to a Kerry event with some Bush signs.  Nothing like what the Democrats did when Bush came to town.

Kerry flipped us off.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #19 on: April 11, 2005, 08:54:35 PM »

According to ian, that's OK because you shouldn't still have the sticker on after the election.
MaC
Milk_and_cereal
Junior Chimp

« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2005, 09:55:25 PM »

You're wrong on the Patriot Act. Kerry favored weakening the Patriot Act. Bush facors strengthening the Patriot Act. While there'd be big government under both adminstrations, at least Kerry would be fiscally responsible and not have a tax cut of the minute.

Still, Kerry voted for the Patriot Act, and if he really wanted to strengthen civil liberties, he'd probably not vote for it in the first place.  I disagree with Kerry being fiscally responsible.  The Bush crowd labeled Kerry as a tax and spend liberal.  I doubt Kerry would dig the national debt or deficit nearly as much as Bush has in the past four years, but there's no doubt in my mind that he would raise taxes.  Now he might raise them and contribute to balancing the budget, but I don't know that he would, and I'm afraid of what might happen if he tried creating more social programs to waste taxpayer money on.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2005, 10:01:01 PM »

Still, Kerry voted for the Patriot Act, and if he really wanted to strengthen civil liberties, he'd probably not vote for it in the first place.  I disagree with Kerry being fiscally responsible.  The Bush crowd labeled Kerry as a tax and spend liberal.  I doubt Kerry would dig the national debt or deficit nearly as much as Bush has in the past four years, but there's no doubt in my mind that he would raise taxes.  Now he might raise them and contribute to balancing the budget, but I don't know that he would, and I'm afraid of what might happen if he tried creating more social programs to waste taxpayer money on.

Anyone would be better at balancing the budget than borrow and spend Bush. As for the Patriot Act, yes, 99 Senators voted for it, but some of those later realized that parts of it need to be eliminated. On the other hand, Bush says that the Patriot Act should be expanded. That's a pretty clear difference, if you say otherwise, you sound like Ralph Nader.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2005, 11:47:40 PM »

President Bush did come to a mall in Charleston at one point early in the campaign.  I got to shake his hand, but no protesting.

I don't believe Kerry visited South Carolina too much after the primaries.  I was unaware of anytimes he was in my city, at least.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies