National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 24, 2024, 09:00:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: National Novel Writing Month (Nanowrimo)  (Read 521 times)
OAM

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 19, 2014, 03:56:36 PM »

I searched and couldn't find a topic for this yet (though I'm not perfect).

Basically every November there's this organization that challenges people to write a novel within the month (50,000 words).  Was wondering if anyone else who enjoys writing was thinking about giving it a go.  Despite the name, it is open internationally.  I think it just started rather small back in the 90s and they hadn't thought it'd get to this size at the time.

http://nanowrimo.org/

I haven't participated before, but had an odd idea last night that suddenly started growing and growing, and I think I can make 50,000 words out of.  Considering to make 50,000 in a month it says you need 1667 a day, and I typically write around 3000 per day for work, I figure I can manage 1667 for fun at the very least.  Going to be about a young hacker forced to work for a futuristic police force, an average citizen that realizes something isn't quite right with society and decides to do something about it, and how they eventually come together.
DemPGH
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 07:56:30 PM »

50,000 is on the short side, so that's doable. No, never heard of this. I think a novel is normally 90,000 to 125,000 words. If you're familiar with a genre and its plot devices and expectations, yeah, you could do 50K words in a month. If you try, good luck! You'll have good days and bad days like with anything else, so steady does it.
Lumine
LumineVonReuental
Moderators
Atlas Icon
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 08:25:00 PM »

To be honest, I didn't know about this actually existed, but it does sound fascinating.

Getting my current novel to have 110.000-120.000 words has taken a lot more than what I had intended and it has led to a lot of frustration, but it could be invigorating to take on the challenge to see if I can get 50.000 words done on a single month, just for the sake of it. I guess it's time to search for ideas, I should have a few ones stored somewhere.
OAM

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 09:32:24 PM »
« Edited: October 19, 2014, 09:34:10 PM by OAM »

I actually agree 50,000 is on the short side, but it's the standard they set, so...  I know a guy who think's he's a failure if he has less than 10,000 words a *chapter*, too, heh.  I should also add, though, that while they say the point is to start a new idea, it isn't required.  It can be simply the next 50,000 words of an existing work you're working on, if you so desire.  Said friend typically drops a few mega-chapters ever November rather than do something new.

I think personally my main issue will be making sure my writing assignments for grad school don't get in the way  I have two-three journal articles I need to write this semester, but I have half of one done, and the research for another done, plus an entire week off at the end of November, so I'm confident other life concerns won't get in the way, for a change (though preventing myself from making more life concerns is always a challenge, heh).  It's not my first time on the fiction writing rodeo, though I tend to prefer AAR style formats and other formats that make it easy for me to get bored, sadly.  My longest work that isn't an AAR or a TL is about 35,000 words across three chapters, and it got abandoned due to computer issues requiring a new hard drive at that point, coupled with deciding my premise would be better served with a restart, rather than continuing on.  Salvaged the character but haven't returned to that universe, though maybe someday.
Simfan34
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.90, S: 4.17

« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2014, 02:35:05 PM »

Ban it.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 11:26:44 AM »

I did it last year (until "real life" got in the way).  Made it to 34,000 words in a very jumbled draft.  Not bad for two-weeks worth of writing though.  Hope to get back to it some point this year to rearrange the plotlines of the novel and fill in some much-needed backstory.

Mr. Smith
MormDem
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 11:45:38 PM »

Tried this so many times, always hit block and gave up by day 2.

If I ever finish my screenplay, I might adapt it over to novel form.
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2016, 04:28:40 PM »

Sadly, I have no time this year to attempt it.  Maybe things will be quieter next year.
Enduro
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2016, 05:42:19 PM »

I hope to try this in the future, but I hardly have time to finish the writing projects I've already started. I'll plan to do it next year.
GoTfan
GoTfan21
Junior Chimp
Australia

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2016, 03:18:20 PM »

I could never write a novel in a month. My approach is very slow and methodical. Hell, I only started the one I'm writing at the moment this year. I spent 2012-June 2016 building the universe for it.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2016, 04:31:41 PM »

"The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy and Blondie" (see my sig) is over 70,000 words.  Of course, that took me well over a year....
MODU
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2016, 10:11:27 PM »

"The Adventures of Hobo Orgy Guy and Blondie" (see my sig) is over 70,000 words.  Of course, that took me well over a year....

But you finished!
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies