Democrats: Would losing seats in bluish states bother you "that much?"
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 02:44:26 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 House Election Polls
  Democrats: Would losing seats in bluish states bother you "that much?"
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Democrats: Would losing seats in bluish states bother you "that much?"  (Read 1290 times)
sg0508
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 24, 2014, 09:39:21 PM »
« edited: October 24, 2014, 10:00:53 PM by sg0508 »

I would actually think it's more the toss-up seats in the purplish states/districts that would hurt more.  As a former moderate republican and now independent, I typically vote for Democrats, but I'm much, much more inclined to favor the GOP in the bluish states for governor and in the House.  True, I don't know much about a lot of these candidates, and there's always a chance that you get a Paul LePage (R-ME) in office, but would losing one of the districts in HI/MA really get to you? I suppose yes, you wouldn't want the GOP to find some stars deep in the bowels of those solidly blue presidential/senatorial seats, but like we've seen, minority party reps/governors tend to have to govern from the middle, making them more popular and more productive.  

Just a thought? I'm sure most would say"yes it would, as we should NEVER lose house seats and (more frequently) statehouses in the solid blue states", but I'm curious as to the discussion we can have.  
bedstuy
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -1.16, S: -4.35

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 10:05:45 PM »

I guess I would rather have a Republican governor in a blue state where they're severely constrained by Democratic majorities in the legislature.  Someone like Mitt Romney in Massachusetts could never really run amok because Democrats dominated the legislature vs. Scott Walker, who was able to screw up Wisconsin something awful.  You also have the hope that a Republican in a blue state is likely going to lose reelection in the future, e.g. Scott Brown. 

Mr. Illini
liberty142
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2014, 11:42:43 AM »

Only if it is Illinois
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2014, 12:01:18 PM »

Yes because it can allow psuedo-moderate Republicans to get entrenched in seats that would otherwise generally be safe/likely/lean D.
Senate Minority Leader Lord Voldemort
Joshua
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: -5.91

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2014, 12:13:23 PM »

California
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length