GA: Survey USA: Perdue re-takes lead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 02:12:45 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2014 Gubernatorial Election Polls
  2014 Senatorial Election Polls
  GA: Survey USA: Perdue re-takes lead
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: GA: Survey USA: Perdue re-takes lead  (Read 2153 times)
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: October 28, 2014, 10:40:23 AM »

New Poll: Georgia Senator by Survey USA on 2014-10-27

Summary: D: 45%, R: 48%, I: 3%, U: 5%

Poll Source URL: Full Poll Details
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2014, 11:02:47 AM »

I know SUSA crosstabs are always wacky, but is it realistic that Perdue is winning the early vote 54/44?
Recalcuate

« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2014, 11:06:40 AM »

I know SUSA crosstabs are always wacky, but is it realistic that Perdue is winning the early vote 54/44?
It probably depends on where the early vote is dispersed. I don't think it's out of the realm of possibility if the redder parts of the state have higher totals than the bluer ones.

As always with cross-tabs on a sub-sample though, the MOE will be horrendous, so much so to be practically meaningless.
Lief 🗽
Lief
Atlas Legend

« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2014, 11:16:25 AM »

boooo! Angry
krazen1211
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2014, 11:55:46 AM »

Great poll!
IceSpear
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.19, S: -6.43

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2014, 02:02:40 PM »

Yup, still Georgia.
GaussLaw
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2014, 03:49:08 PM »

Bad news for Nunn.
ElectionsGuy
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 7.10, S: -7.65

P P
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2014, 03:51:03 PM »

This is within the margin of error.
Keystone Phil
Atlas Institution

« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2014, 04:01:13 PM »

Hear that bubble bursting?
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 04:39:50 PM »

This is an outlier from the other polls, as Nunn has lead in three polls straight from other pollsters.
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 04:45:20 PM »

This is a lot more optimistic for Perdue than prior surveys; for once here I'm in agreement with Dr. Scholl. But if these numbers can hold, and we see them from other surveys, Perdue has a solid shot at winning without a runoff.
Recalcuate

« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 06:08:54 PM »

This is an outlier from the other polls, as Nunn has lead in three polls straight from other pollsters.

Disagree. This is noise around the same MOE for a race that is basically tied and likely headed to a runoff.
They put it to a vote and they just kept lying
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 06:23:56 PM »

UGH Georgia what are you doing?
Recalcuate

« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2014, 07:13:01 PM »

Last 8 polls from RCP.

SurveyUSA                                   Perdue +3
CBS News/NYT/YouGov           Perdue +3
Atlanta Journal-Constitution        Perdue +2
InsiderAdvantage                   Nunn +2
WSB-TV/Landmark                   Tie
CNN/Opinion Research           Nunn +3
SurveyUSA    (superseded)            Nunn +2
WRBL/Ledger-Enquirer/PMB   Nunn +1

If anything, the trend is Perdue's friend, but neither candidate has shown the ability to reach 50. They'd probably need a margin of around mid 3s to 4 to do so.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -6.26

« Reply #14 on: October 28, 2014, 07:14:29 PM »

No

Georgia, ballots cast:

(Figures with "(^)" next to them indicate group as a % of early voters is consistently increasing)
(All 2014 early voting totals are through Sunday, 10/26; 2010 totals are for entire early vote period)

Georgia is looking quite good for Democrats so far. There has been an seven-point swing thus far in early voting turnout by likely party when compared to 2010 (!!), with it being likely that the number will continue to improve for Democrats over the remainder of this week, if historical trends are any indicator. The number of unknown affiliated being slightly higher is potentially an indicator that there are more first-time voters voting early.

By race, blacks are two percentage points more of the electorate than they were in 2010, and that number will also continue to increase. In 2010, blacks were 29% of EVs and the final number was 28%, suggesting that the total black share of the electorate in 2014 could very well be 30-31%.

The female percentage of the vote is still a bit below 2010 numbers but steadily increasing, and is on track to meet or surpass 2010 numbers. The current breakdowns by age when compared to 2010 are the least optimistic, but thankfully in Georgia (at least in this case), voting preference by age is relatively uniform across the board.

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: October 28, 2014, 09:09:12 PM »
« Edited: October 28, 2014, 09:11:09 PM by NE Caretaker Griffin »

To follow-up, I did three calculations based on historic preference by race, what the polls have consistently showed by gender, and the likely party breakdowns available via voter file's early vote results posted above. All three were quite close to one another, so I'm confident in this estimate:

Race: Nunn 50.8
Party: Nunn 50.1

Considering early vote in GA is usually only a point or so more "Democratic" by race than it is on Election Day, Nunn is likely looking at 49-50% of the vote when this is all said and done (sigh).
Recalcuate

« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2014, 03:11:46 AM »

To follow-up, I did three calculations based on historic preference by race, what the polls have consistently showed by gender, and the likely party breakdowns available via voter file's early vote results posted above. All three were quite close to one another, so I'm confident in this estimate:

Considering early vote in GA is usually only a point or so more "Democratic" by race than it is on Election Day, Nunn is likely looking at 49-50% of the vote when this is all said and done (sigh).

It's very hard to lock down party affiliation in Georgia because the primaries are basically open primaries. Voter affiliation can change from year-to-year based on which primary voters want to vote in.

As to your other point, statistically, it's very plausible that Perdue holds a 54-44 edge with early voters, just as much as it's plausible that Nunn holds a 54-44 edge. The sample size of about 103 voters (17% of 611 LV) is too small to make any reliable statistical determination given the MOE is between 9-10%.
Adam Griffin
Atlas Star
Greece

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2014, 06:52:54 AM »

It's very hard to lock down party affiliation in Georgia because the primaries are basically open primaries. Voter affiliation can change from year-to-year based on which primary voters want to vote in.

As to your other point, statistically, it's very plausible that Perdue holds a 54-44 edge with early voters, just as much as it's plausible that Nunn holds a 54-44 edge. The sample size of about 103 voters (17% of 611 LV) is too small to make any reliable statistical determination given the MOE is between 9-10%.

This is true, but I know my own state's tendencies with regards to primaries, the voter file, and the scoring models used to assess them. If you take Georgia and break it down into counties that are Democratic-dominant and Republican-dominant with respect to primaries (breaking the areas where primaries are competitive in terms of # of voters and weighting in favorably to the Republicans, as is usually the situation), then you get 62% of the state living in Republican-dominant areas. If anything, the party score is favorable to Republicans, as there are more people who regularly vote in R primaries (but who are D) than vice-versa.

I also checked other DNC scoring models against this, and am relatively confident in the assessment. For instance, the "Obama 2012 Scoring Model" (assesses likelihood of someone voting for Obama in 2012) shows 54/46 Romney in the two-way support dynamic. This is the least "optimistic" model to use for gauging likely Democratic voters in Georgia. I highly doubt Nunn is doing worse than Obama, and even the most Republican-favored model shows she's doing slightly better than he among early voters.

I'm not sure how the poll relates to my assessment, as I'm "polling" (at the time) over 400,000 early voters' demographic and voting characteristics via the VAN.  
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies