Senator Smith for President in '08?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:28:46 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2008 Elections
  Senator Smith for President in '08?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Senator Smith for President in '08?  (Read 1120 times)
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: April 14, 2005, 10:42:32 PM »
« edited: April 15, 2005, 12:18:07 AM by nickshepDEM »

No, not Gordon Smith, the Republican from Oregon. The Senator Smith I'm talking about has never served in the Senate, or any other legislative body. But they have run for president before.

Perhaps some explanations might seem in order. You see, back in 1973, a young Democratic pollster by the name of Pat Caddell wrote a lengthy memo, in which he described and designed the candidacy of a fictional politician named "Senator Smith." Caddell, who had recently graduated from Harvard after taking a year off to run the polling operation of the McGovern presidential campaign, did provided a ready-made candidacy for Senator Smith in the memo. He wrote speeches, designed advertising, and scripted mock interviews with the candidate.

What made Senator Smith so different from the real presidential candidates was his decidedly anti-Establishment rhetoric. Described by Caddell as a "consummate insider," Smith runs as an outsider, an economic populist whose "protest candidacy" endorsed campaign-finance reform and embraced "people power." Senator Smith refuses to accept big money donations, calls on people to make sacrifices for the common good of the country, and talks about the campaign "empowering people" to "take back our country." Is any of this sounding familiar yet? If not, here's an excerpt from an actual Smith stump speech in Caddell's memo:

"America's leaders--not just in the Republican Party, but in the Democratic Party as well--have failed America! The moment has come for you, the people, to take back our politics and our country! The experts and the failed elites say I am wrong. They say my message is too unconventional, too unrealistic, too idealistic, too extreme. They say that a vote for me is a wasted vote. But I tell you, it is never wrong to vote for the truth!"

If you think that sounds an awful lot like Howard Dean, you'd be right. But you'd also be wrong, because it also sounds an awful lot like Jimmy Carter, Gary Hart, Joe Biden, Jerry Brown, and Ralph Nader. You see, Pat Caddell worked for all of those men's presidential campaigns. He polled, spin-doctored, and wrote speeches for Carter, Hart, and Biden, and he "consulted" and "advised" Brown, Nader, and Dean, the latter of whom was managed by Joe Trippi, who learned everything he knows insurgency campaigning from his work with Caddell on Brown's campaign.

The tip-off that Caddell was the guiding force in shaping those men's messages in the Senator Smith mold is in their speeches. And not just in the themes, but also in the phrases. Count how many of them want to inspire new voters, how many want campaign finance reform, how many predict an impending national decline, how many reference the fears of Jefferson and Madison, and how many want to take our country back. Just for fun, count how many times each man blames the troubles of the world on unnamed "special interests."

The fact is that Caddell has run a Senator Smith in every presidential election since 1976, with the exception of 1980 and 1996. The reason is that the Senator Smith message is powerful. In 1984, when Hart's Smith-like campaign took him from 1% in the polls to winning primaries in 26 states, Caddell's polling found that Senator Smith would have blown away the entire field if he had been able to run. I have no doubt that Caddell, who will then be only fifty-seven, will find a new candidate in 2008.

So the question is: Who will it be? While the role seems to lend itself to liberals like Hart and Nader, moderates like Carter and Biden have also worn the mantle. The only two requirements seem to be that the candidate must be a political unknown outside of his home state and the pundits must declare him to have a snowball's chance in Hell at getting the nomination. Only then will Caddell take over.

So who fits the bill? Who will carry on the legacy of Senator Smith in 2008? Will Feingold, Bayh or Warner, or someone as yet unseen?

http://primary2008.typepad.com/
M

« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2005, 11:35:32 PM »

You, uh, want me, Jefferson Smith, to run for President of the United States? Well gosh, uh, I don't know. I'll have to ask the Boy Rangers and the other folks back home. I mean, uh, there's a lot of stuff that goes on in this town that... well, that just ain't right, you know? But, uh, I sure do want to help folks. I'll have to think about it. Is that all right?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2005, 02:42:27 AM »

For some reason I was thinking former Senator Smith of NH.
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2005, 03:39:32 AM »

It also sounds more than a wee bit like Pat Buchanan.
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2005, 11:03:22 AM »

This 'Senator Smith' is a fairly vague description if it encompasses moderates like Carter and Biden, and liberals like Hart, Dean and Nader.  I guess you could easily apply the name to the current darlings Evan Bayh and Russ Feingold (especially on the campaign finance reform there).

But take out the 'economic populist' part and it could have been Barry Goldwater too.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2005, 11:14:18 AM »

I didnt write the damn thing so I have no idea who it is directly describing.  I guess its a description of the type of candidate this campaign manager likes to work with.  Low profile, moderate-liberal, populist???
Joe Republic
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2005, 11:34:02 AM »

I didnt write the damn thing so I have no idea who it is directly describing.  I guess its a description of the type of candidate this campaign manager likes to work with.  Low profile, moderate-liberal, populist???

Hey, I wasn't attacking you.  I'm just saying that this Caddell guy seems to have developed a fairly vague type of candidate profile that you could fit to almost any of the candidates currently in the running.
Moooooo
nickshepDEM
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2005, 12:39:38 PM »

Hey, I wasn't attacking you.  I'm just saying that this Caddell guy seems to have developed a fairly vague type of candidate profile that you could fit to almost any of the candidates currently in the running.

LOL. I know.  Smiley
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies