Era of the New Majority
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 01:26:53 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Election What-ifs? (Moderator: Dereich)
  Era of the New Majority
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50
Author Topic: Era of the New Majority  (Read 223340 times)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1200 on: May 09, 2017, 12:48:40 AM »

I might be able to do some DRA work; we'll see though.
I've already done:
Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, and West Virginia.
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, and Iowa are next on my list.

I wont do anything larger than WI/MN, though.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1201 on: May 09, 2017, 01:13:05 AM »

An opportunity to help out the author of the TL that inspired me to use DRA for TLs and repay my gratitude? Sign me up!
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1202 on: May 09, 2017, 01:18:55 AM »

I would like to do CO, GA, NC, and AZ, please.
This account no longer in use.
cxs018
Junior Chimp

« Reply #1203 on: May 09, 2017, 01:25:29 AM »

I'd be willing to do New England.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1204 on: May 09, 2017, 08:58:52 AM »

The fact that other folks can still use DRA is heartbreaking to me.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1205 on: May 09, 2017, 09:51:43 AM »

I would like to do CO, GA, NC, and AZ, please.

Go for it!
Sounds great!

I might be able to do some DRA work; we'll see though.
I've already done:
Montana, South Dakota, Nebraska, and West Virginia.
Wisconsin, Minnesota, Kansas, and Iowa are next on my list.

I wont do anything larger than WI/MN, though.

Heisenberg's xompleted maps are excellent. Consider the Midwestern states he just rattled off reserved.

Thanks everyone! Smiley
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1206 on: May 09, 2017, 11:11:15 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2017, 11:15:49 AM by TimTurner »

KingSweden, are all states I have reserved Dem gerrymanders? (excluding AZ of course, they have a commission)
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1207 on: May 09, 2017, 11:14:06 AM »

Pretty sure I got this right, but y'all are welcome to spot-check my work.

This looks correct to me.

Per my math, we have 679 electoral votes, a Senate with 102 members and House with 577 members
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1208 on: May 09, 2017, 11:15:11 AM »

Also I'd like to reserve FL.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1209 on: May 09, 2017, 11:16:30 AM »

It's yours.

KingSweden, are all states henceforth named Dem gerrymanders? (excluding AZ of course, they have a commission)

Nah, something closer to the Iowa rule. Communities of interest/whole counties/cities when possible. I don't think mandated Dem gerrymanders could survive court scrutiny. A Dem Congress anticipating a potentially rough 2030 would likely make sure future districts are drawn as "neutrally" as possible. The plan might involve mandated commissions?

(I haven't totally decided yet)
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1210 on: May 09, 2017, 11:23:54 AM »

I guess we might see something of a patchwork approach? I.e. some states, like OR (all Dem strongholds of course), might get away with minor pro-Democratic gerrymanders, but otherwise, they'd try and clamp down harder?
President of the great nation of 🏳️‍⚧️
Peebs
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1211 on: May 09, 2017, 11:26:19 AM »

I'll try my hand at Delaware, Idaho, and maybe Oregon once I get my computer plugged in.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1212 on: May 09, 2017, 11:27:13 AM »

I guess we might see something of a patchwork approach? I.e. some states, like OR (all Dem strongholds of course), might get away with minor pro-Democratic gerrymanders, but otherwise, they'd try and clamp down harder?

Yeah, exactly. Plus, more districts (in theory) makes gerrymanders harder/less sustainable
Kamala
Madagascar

« Reply #1213 on: May 09, 2017, 11:28:43 AM »

May I take my home state?
EDIT: Never mind, I see that Heisenberg already has it completed.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1214 on: May 09, 2017, 11:31:57 AM »

Yeah, exactly. Plus, more districts (in theory) makes gerrymanders harder/less sustainable
So CO, I have to assume it's a dem trifecta, they do a very minor Dem gerry/non-partisan-ish, nice-looking map that just happens to benefit Democrats (like putting the East Plains all in one seat, voila, instant GOP vote sink!)
Heisenberg
SecureAmerica
United States

« Reply #1215 on: May 09, 2017, 11:34:22 AM »

It's yours.

KingSweden, are all states henceforth named Dem gerrymanders? (excluding AZ of course, they have a commission)

Nah, something closer to the Iowa rule. Communities of interest/whole counties/cities when possible. I don't think mandated Dem gerrymanders could survive court scrutiny. A Dem Congress anticipating a potentially rough 2030 would likely make sure future districts are drawn as "neutrally" as possible. The plan might involve mandated commissions?

My idea: Drawn by legislatures, Iowa rules. Commissions can be pretty biased (AZ, WA). A tiebreaking "Independent" member, like those in Arizona, are still likely to favor one side. If legislatures draw with Iowa rules, partisan gerrymanders are super, super tough. There's not only a rule on minimizing county splits, but also one that outlaws "thin strips". I like whole counties, communities of interest respected (something AZ really doesn't do). The Iowa rules are great. In my map, only Nebraska splits counties (which was necessary). The Iowa map is far more fair than the ones in AZ and WA, where (especially in the former), I wouldn't describe the maps as community of interest. Given how they are called "representatives," community of interest makes most sense. Of course, your decision in the end, just my thoughts.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1216 on: May 09, 2017, 11:44:07 AM »

It's yours.

My idea: Drawn by legislatures, Iowa rules. Commissions can be pretty biased (AZ, WA). A tiebreaking "Independent" member, like those in Arizona, are still likely to favor one side. If legislatures draw with Iowa rules, partisan gerrymanders are super, super tough. There's not only a rule on minimizing county splits, but also one that outlaws "thin strips". I like whole counties, communities of interest respected (something AZ really doesn't do). The Iowa rules are great. In my map, only Nebraska splits counties (which was necessary). The Iowa map is far more fair than the ones in AZ and WA, where (especially in the former), I wouldn't describe the maps as community of interest. Given how they are called "representatives," community of interest makes most sense. Of course, your decision in the end, just my thoughts.

No, these mirror my own thoughts pretty strongly too. Outside of something like Elections Canada, I think regulated Iowa rules redistricting by legislatures is best
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1217 on: May 09, 2017, 11:46:48 AM »

I'll try my hand at Delaware, Idaho, and maybe Oregon once I get my computer plugged in.

Please do!

So CO, I have to assume it's a dem trifecta, they do a very minor Dem gerry/non-partisan-ish, nice-looking map that just happens to benefit Democrats (like putting the East Plains all in one seat, voila, instant GOP vote sink!)

You can reference who does and does not have a trifecta on the previous page
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1218 on: May 09, 2017, 11:50:43 AM »
« Edited: May 09, 2017, 11:59:39 AM by TimTurner »

It's yours.

Democrats are in charge. What you and (possibly) me see as making the most sense might not take effect in every state (particularly TX) Tongue
More specifically anyway, post-2010 and post-2020, Democrats were largely out of the 'drawing districts' card game. This time they have most of the cards. I don't see them giving up all their leverage.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1219 on: May 09, 2017, 11:54:21 AM »

Please do!

You can reference who does and does not have a trifecta on the previous page
Ok, so I'd like to relinquish my claim on FL for now if you think I am claiming too many states and/or if Heisenburg complains. Doing TX instead.
Also, is this confirmation that no legislatures and/or statehouses switch hands post-2028, pre-2031?
Lastly, am I posting too much in your thread?
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1220 on: May 09, 2017, 11:58:41 AM »

It's yours.

Democrats are in charge. What you and (possibly) me see as making the most sense might not take effect in every state (particularly TX) Tongue

I'll answer both questions here Tim (rather than quote you twice).

You can do whichever maps you want, Heisenberg expressed a preference for doing smaller states. I didn't interpret his response to you as a complaint Smiley

2030 will see some different results, but Democrats are 2030-proofing by implementing mandatory redistricting guidelines nationwide (and with a friendly Supreme Court and judiciary I think they'd succeed). Iowa rules for everyone! (I've decided that's what I'll go with). For example I doubt they'll keep the TX State House in 2030, returning the trifecta to Republicans, but with these rules they can prevent a really egregious gerrymander.

As for NJ/VA... that'll be forthcoming (only statehouses potentially subject to change).

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1221 on: May 09, 2017, 12:21:11 PM »

It's yours.

Personally I am a fan of California's system, but Iowa's is a good second.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1222 on: May 09, 2017, 12:26:32 PM »
« Edited: May 09, 2017, 12:29:46 PM by TimTurner »

More questions (I hope I'm not needling you too much).
1) Just how quick is Travis County growing?
2) Do we see a coalition district in West Texas north of El Paso, given how Latino it's becoming?
3) How much is South Texas lagging? Is there massive migration from there to San Antonio?
4) I take it there's some immigration to places like Collin, Williamson, Waller, Denton and the other outskirts of metro Counties?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1223 on: May 09, 2017, 12:32:14 PM »

It's yours.

Personally I am a fan of California's system, but Iowa's is a good second.
Since IA's system would not really work in some places (like, say, you can't have all of Dallas County in one CD Tongue ) I'm assuming that you have some mix of the FL system for good measure.
KingSweden
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #1224 on: May 09, 2017, 12:40:46 PM »

More questions (I hope I'm not needling you too much).
1) Just how quick is Travis County growing?
2) Do we see a coalition district in West Texas north of El Paso, given how Latino it's becoming?
3) How much is South Texas lagging? Is there massive migration from there to San Antonio?
4) I take it there's some immigration to places like Collin, Williamson, Waller, Denton and the other outskirts of metro Counties?

I'll answer your second note first. You would naturally need to come up with some kind of community of interest solution for larger counties, so you're right.

Texas as a whole grew at a slower pace between 2020-2030 than it did in the 2010s despite adding just shy of the same # of people. The urban areas I imagine are fastest booming. You know much more about Texas geography/politics than I do - I will trust your judgement in making sub-state projections
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 46 47 48 [49] 50  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies