Presidential Candidate Dies, who takes over?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 12:47:10 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Process (Moderator: muon2)
  Presidential Candidate Dies, who takes over?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Presidential Candidate Dies, who takes over?  (Read 10425 times)
Robespierre's Jaw
Senator Conor Flynn
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -8.35

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: February 25, 2007, 07:57:13 PM »
« edited: November 02, 2007, 02:22:58 AM by Lt. Governor Rockefeller Republican »

This is a question I've always wanted to ask, What would happen if e.g. the Republican candidate died, who would take his place? Would it be his running mate? Or would the RNC decide who would run for president?

I am only using the Republicans as an example!
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2007, 08:03:02 PM »

Before Dec. 18th: electors vote for someone else on Dec. 18th. This happened in the 1872 election.
After Dec. 18th, Vice President elect sworn in as President

Hawaii changed who they voted for after Dec. 18th in the 1960 election, so that deadline isn't 100% binding.
zorkpolitics
United States

« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2007, 08:37:01 PM »

If a candidate dies after the nomination, but before the election, the Party central comittiee selects a replacement (it need not be the VP candidate).
After the election, but prior to Dec 18, the RNC would endorse a candidate, but the electors are free to follwo that or not.  None the less, since most of the electors are strong party faithful, one would expect the candidate endorsed by the party to get their votes.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2007, 10:37:24 PM »

In 1912 the Republican VP candidate (who was also VP) died two days before the election.  The RNC (or its equivalent) picked a new candidate.  I assume the same would be done for President.
Bruce Tedder
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2007, 11:36:54 AM »

In 1912 the Republican VP candidate (who was also VP) died two days before the election.  The RNC (or its equivalent) picked a new candidate.  I assume the same would be done for President.

That's what I would think too.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2007, 12:01:39 PM »

If a candidate dies after the nomination, but before the election, the Party central comittiee selects a replacement (it need not be the VP candidate).

Who exactly sits on the central committee?  How do those people get their jobs?
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2007, 12:12:34 PM »

I presume you are referring to the Republican National Committee itself?  The RNC is composed of a man and a woman from each state and territory (incl. DC, PR, AS, VI, GU etc.)  I *think* the State Chairs are voting members or included in some way as well.  These individuals are usually elected by State Committees.  In Tennessee, our State Committee is comprised of a man and a woman from each Senate District and these are elected by voters in Gubenatorial-year primaries.  In that sense, RNC/DNC members are connected indirectly to the electorate.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2007, 01:14:55 PM »

I presume you are referring to the Republican National Committee itself?  The RNC is composed of a man and a woman from each state and territory (incl. DC, PR, AS, VI, GU etc.)  I *think* the State Chairs are voting members or included in some way as well.  These individuals are usually elected by State Committees.  In Tennessee, our State Committee is comprised of a man and a woman from each Senate District and these are elected by voters in Gubenatorial-year primaries.  In that sense, RNC/DNC members are connected indirectly to the electorate.

To me, that is where the real dealmaking and politicking is done nowadays. I'd love to see a covert videotape of those meetings for either party.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2007, 10:03:34 AM »
« Edited: October 30, 2007, 10:07:37 AM by Htmldon, voted most partisan member 3 years in a row! »

To me, that is where the real dealmaking and politicking is done nowadays. I'd love to see a covert videotape of those meetings for either party.

HAHAHAHAHA... No.   "Dealmaking and politicking" at the Party level is usually done by the Chairman or executive staff of a national or state Party organization, not by its respective committee.   I haven't been to an RNC meeting before, but state and local meetings usually consist of the following agenda:

PARTY COMMITTEE MEETING AGENDA:

A) Pledge
B) Prayer
C) Roll Call
D) Reading of Minutes of previous irrelevant meeting
     1) Random obscure corrections of minutes to make Secretary look foolish, even though they are an unpaid person just trying to do a job
E) Treasurer's Report
F) Old People bitching about anything they can find in the treasurer's report
      1) The Organization doesn't have enough money, why isn't the Chairman raising it?  Lord knows it's not our problem.
       2) The Organization has too much money, where did it come from?
H)  Discussion about why we should make a stupid decision, and why the Chairman isn't supporting the committee in a stupid decision
I)   Discussion about how the Chairman is a RINO/DINO because he uses those crazy things called "Facts" to make decisions
J)  Discussion about how $4/hr. is too much pay for highly qualified and competent staff members, and how they should be replaced by incompetent friends of committee members
K)  Re-opening of discussion about other people who might be RINOs or DINOs.
L)  Removal of as many competent people as humanly possible from Party organization
M)  Discussion about issues that separate us from the majority of the voters, and how we can better emphasize them
N)  Discussion about how we aren't discussing things enough, and how the RINO/DINO Chairman is making too many decisions, and using those goddamn "Facts" to defend his decisions again.
O)  Motion to endorse any candidate who will get no more than 1% of the vote, and therefore defend our conservative/liberal values from the 99% of the rest of the population.
P)  Impeachment of the Chairman, cause he won't stop using facts, statistics, and logic - and those things are against our bylaws.
Q)  Discussion of the "threat" of young people coming into the organization, as they may not believe in our contrarian values - and may actually want to get work done - or *gasp* even work with the other side to increase goodwill and political participation!  BLASPHEMY!
R) Did someone say by-laws?  Lets discuss those, and any RINOs/DINOs who might be infringing on them.

-- 6 hours later--

S) Discussion of how meetings aren't lasting long enough.  (Yes, I've actually had this happen before)
T) Adjournment, after the Chairman threatens to kill himself and ask God "Why hast thou forsaken me?"
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2007, 10:12:53 AM »

If the president-elect actually died after the election but before the electoral college met, do you think there might be a great deal of public/political pressure on the electors to choose the VP-elect as president?  I mean, the VP-elect was actually on the ballot that most people voted for.  For the electors to then choose someone else to replace the departed president-elect might be viewed as "undemocratic".
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2007, 03:18:08 PM »

HAHAHAHAHA... No.   "Dealmaking and politicking" at the Party level is usually done by the Chairman or executive staff of a national or state Party organization, not by its respective committee.   I haven't been to an RNC meeting before, but state and local meetings usually consist of the following agenda:

PARTY COMMITTEE MEETING AGENDA:

A) Pledge
B) Prayer
C) Roll Call
D) Reading of Minutes of previous irrelevant meeting
     1) Random obscure corrections of minutes to make Secretary look foolish, even though they are an unpaid person just trying to do a job
E) Treasurer's Report
F) Old People bitching about anything they can find in the treasurer's report
      1) The Organization doesn't have enough money, why isn't the Chairman raising it?  Lord knows it's not our problem.
       2) The Organization has too much money, where did it come from?
H)  Discussion about why we should make a stupid decision, and why the Chairman isn't supporting the committee in a stupid decision
I)   Discussion about how the Chairman is a RINO/DINO because he uses those crazy things called "Facts" to make decisions
J)  Discussion about how $4/hr. is too much pay for highly qualified and competent staff members, and how they should be replaced by incompetent friends of committee members
K)  Re-opening of discussion about other people who might be RINOs or DINOs.
L)  Removal of as many competent people as humanly possible from Party organization
M)  Discussion about issues that separate us from the majority of the voters, and how we can better emphasize them
N)  Discussion about how we aren't discussing things enough, and how the RINO/DINO Chairman is making too many decisions, and using those goddamn "Facts" to defend his decisions again.
O)  Motion to endorse any candidate who will get no more than 1% of the vote, and therefore defend our conservative/liberal values from the 99% of the rest of the population.
P)  Impeachment of the Chairman, cause he won't stop using facts, statistics, and logic - and those things are against our bylaws.
Q)  Discussion of the "threat" of young people coming into the organization, as they may not believe in our contrarian values - and may actually want to get work done - or *gasp* even work with the other side to increase goodwill and political participation!  BLASPHEMY!
R) Did someone say by-laws?  Lets discuss those, and any RINOs/DINOs who might be infringing on them.

-- 6 hours later--

S) Discussion of how meetings aren't lasting long enough.  (Yes, I've actually had this happen before)
T) Adjournment, after the Chairman threatens to kill himself and ask God "Why hast thou forsaken me?"

It's nice to know that the Republican and Democratic parties resemble third-party power struggles then. Cheesy

Next time, can you bring in a camera to release to the public a video so we can laugh.
True Democrat
true democrat
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.10, S: -2.87

« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2007, 11:24:35 PM »

Don that was hilarious. Smiley
Undisguised Sockpuppet
Straha
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

Political Matrix
E: 6.52, S: 2.00

« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2007, 12:41:35 PM »

What would happen if the nominees from both parties died right before the general eleciton?
Meeker
meekermariner
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2007, 03:05:06 AM »

What would happen if the nominees and the committee that would select a replacement nominee died before the election?
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2007, 07:24:56 AM »

What would happen if the nominees and the committee that would select a replacement nominee died before the election?

Ralph Nader wins by default.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies