Comparing Turnout Differences in Senate vs Governor Races in 2014
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:23:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Comparing Turnout Differences in Senate vs Governor Races in 2014
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Comparing Turnout Differences in Senate vs Governor Races in 2014  (Read 399 times)
Miles
MilesC56
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:30:55 AM »

Nothing really big here; as I was going through states for my Sen/Gov by CD threads, I was noticing the turnout differences between the races in each state and thought I'd make some visualization out of it.

In the 2014 cycle, 25 states had races for both Senate and Governor. Here's a map of which contest more votes were cast in:

In most states, the differences were usually very slight (a few thousand votes at most) between the Senate and Governor's races, but a few trends emerged.

The general rule was, not surprisingly, that more votes were cast in the more competitive race. In Maine, for example, the Senate race was sleepy while the Governor's race was expected to be close; thus, more votes were cast in the Governor's race.

The most extreme example of this was Alabama, which is in a category of its own here. 31% fewer votes were cast in the Senate race, where Sessions was unopposed, than the Governor's race.

On the flip side, the only states where more votes were cast in the less competitive races were MN, NE and WY.

And the exact numbers:

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies