Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 21, 2017, 01:33:15 am
HomePredMockPollEVCalcAFEWIKIHelpLogin Register
News: Please delete your old personal messages.

+  Atlas Forum
|-+  Atlas Fantasy Elections
| |-+  Atlas Fantasy Government
| | |-+  Regional Governments (Moderator: Gustaf)
| | | |-+  NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 Print
Author Topic: NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk)  (Read 2451 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
YaBB God
United States

View Profile
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:59:24 pm »
Ignore

Shared Economy Liberation Act

1. All laws and local ordinances restricting AirBnB are hereby repealed.
2. All laws and local ordinances restricting Lyft, Sidecar, Uber, and other ridesharing apps are hereby repealed.
3. This legislation shall go into effect upon passage.

Sponsor: Representative Dallasfan65

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 5:59 PM on Saturday, December 13, unless otherwise modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2014, 04:41:01 pm by SWE, Senator-Elect »Logged

18:37   Clark   Most of you are considered to be trolls, and with good reason

15:55   windjammer   you should all go to hell

For once, SWE is right
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:37 pm »
Ignore

While I like the great Dallasfan, I don't think we should be listing corporations in laws. This is written as if it is clearly catered to corporate interests and not the people.
Apocrypha
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 4.90, S: -9.91

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:24:02 pm »
Ignore

While I like the great Dallasfan, I don't think we should be listing corporations in laws. This is written as if it is clearly catered to corporate interests and not the people.

Proposed amendment:

2. All laws and local ordinances restricting ridesharing apps are hereby repealed.

I'm open to further amendments but I'm not sure of an encompassing term that can cover other apps/institutions like AirBnB.

President Areus Ho'kee's Republican Party gains in the 1990 midterms, in Dust In The Wind - The Story of Thad O'Connor
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:51:29 am »
Ignore

Proposed amendment:

2. All laws and local ordinances restricting ridesharing apps are hereby repealed.

I'm open to further amendments but I'm not sure of an encompassing term that can cover other apps/institutions like AirBnB.

This is much better, definitely an improvement. Why are we un-restricting AirBnB? Where was the restrictment to begin with?
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:30:51 am »
Ignore

Obviously support.  a taxi and  drunk driving.

Yeah, after four years of being a non-disruptive poster on the forum, never considered a troublemaker, even someone who was liked well enough to be elected Atlasian President, Napoleon should be allowed to stay.

Apocrypha
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:00 pm »
Ignore

Proposed amendment:

This is much better, definitely an improvement. Why are we un-restricting AirBnB? Where was the restrictment to begin with?

New York City.

President Areus Ho'kee's Republican Party gains in the 1990 midterms, in Dust In The Wind - The Story of Thad O'Connor
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 05:16:39 pm »
Ignore

Proposed amendment:

New York City.

Can we phrase the proposed bill in a way that doesn't use corporate names like AirBnB? You did it for the rest.
Apocrypha
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:27:38 am »
Ignore

Tongue

Amendment:

Proposed amendment:

1. All laws and local ordinances restricting room booking apps are hereby repealed.

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 03:22:31 pm »
Ignore

Proposed Amendment of Dallasfan's Amendment.

1. All laws, excluding ones directly related to customer and employee safety, and local ordinances restricting room booking apps are hereby repealed.
2. All laws excluding ones directly related to customer and employee safety, and local ordinances restricting ridesharing apps are hereby repealed.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 04:02:39 pm »
Ignore

Hmm.  I'm not quite sure of the necessity for this. Certainly we don't want to create a system with no regulation or oversight. While sirnick's amendment dresses that somewhat, I don't think it creates the kind of regulation and safety system that should be in place with these issues

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:57 am »
Ignore

Hmm.  I'm not quite sure of the necessity for this. Certainly we don't want to create a system with no regulation or oversight. While sirnick's amendment dresses that somewhat, I don't think it creates the kind of regulation and safety system that should be in place with these issues

I actually had the same concern. I think the phrasing "all laws" is a bit broad  still
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:10:17 pm »
Ignore

I support the Dallasfan version :/

Yeah, after four years of being a non-disruptive poster on the forum, never considered a troublemaker, even someone who was liked well enough to be elected Atlasian President, Napoleon should be allowed to stay.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:54:33 pm »
Ignore

I would refer everyone to the events transpiring in Sydney where Uber quadrupled their base rate to $100 for the area surrounding the hostage situation. Could you imagine something happening like that during the events of the bombing of the Boston Marathon, for example? Secondly, I'm sure you have all seen the allegations in India and Chicago of Uber drivers raping passengers; without attempting to act as a court of law here, surely this compromises part of the company's prized confidence in their drivers.

In response to these incidents, I am opposed to the bill.
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 01:55:59 pm by Barnes »Logged

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 02:03:59 pm »
Ignore

We have laws against price gouging already.

Also, comparing Atlasia to India is absurd in this context, but at the same time, they should be held to the same standars that we hold taxi companies to.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:36 pm »
Ignore

I would refer everyone to the events transpiring in Sydney where Uber quadrupled their base rate to $100 for the area surrounding the hostage situation. Could you imagine something happening like that during the events of the bombing of the Boston Marathon, for example? Secondly, I'm sure you have all seen the allegations in India and Chicago of Uber drivers raping passengers; without attempting to act as a court of law here, surely this compromises part of the company's prized confidence in their drivers.

rape is illegal regardless of whether or not one is using a ridesharing app. Its also not Uber's responsibility to evacuate people during emergencies. Its a small convenience for people who are drunk or might be without their car for a few days.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:32 pm »
Ignore

I'm not trying to ban Uber or services like it, that's not my intention through this, but I think it's nessecary to regulate this developing industry. That's the extent of my concerns.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 06:29:13 pm »
Ignore

I'm not trying to ban Uber or services like it, that's not my intention through this, but I think it's nessecary to regulate this developing industry. That's the extent of my concerns.

what regulations are necessary?

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »
Ignore

It's a different take on an industry that already exists -- private rides and chauffeurs. The only difference is instead of scheduling the ride via phone, you request it via an app.
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 08:44:02 pm »
Ignore

It's a different take on an industry that already exists -- private rides and chauffeurs. The only difference is instead of scheduling the ride via phone, you request it via an app.

so when I give my friend a ride, what regulations are necessary?

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 08:49:32 pm »
Ignore

Do you want your friend to smoke in the car?
Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 09:42:16 pm »
Ignore

Do you want your friend to smoke in the car?

maybe, maybe not. I certainly do NOT want you telling me he cant though.
(The apps dont allow smoking but that should be up to the service or the driver)

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:04 pm »
Ignore

What are we even talking about in here anymore? Nobody gives a hoot what you do in your car, Napoleon. We're taking about for-profit businesses, not a friendly car pool. I'm not trying to be snippy, but let's try to not stray too far from the bill in hand.

Napoleon
YaBB God

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:13 pm »
Ignore

What are we even talking about in here anymore? Nobody gives a hoot what you do in your car, Napoleon. We're taking about for-profit businesses, not a friendly car pool. I'm not trying to be snippy, but let's try to not stray too far from the bill in hand.
The drivers are not employees of the company.

I dont know how many times I need to ask: what regulations are being repealed that you consider necessary? You honestly seem unfamiliar with ridesharing...
« Last Edit: December 15, 2014, 09:52:06 pm by Napoleon »Logged

Apocrypha
Dallasfan65
Moderators
YaBB God

Political Matrix

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:08 pm »
Ignore

Sorry, fell asleep a bit on this one guys.

I'll accept Sirnick's amendment as friendly.

The rape incident is problematic, but it seems like a jump to conclusions to fault Uber for this. For instance, part of the India problem is that Uber's outfit in India is shoestring at best.

Quote from: Peter Relan
From what I understand, Uber does driver background checks in the United States, but not in India. It was probably a "tough nut to crack." I wonder if because of that, it was simply not cracked, despite the obvious problems it creates in addressing customers' core requirements in India.

This may be because India itself has an ineffective criminal justice system. Rape is a serious problem in India in general.

Quote from: Nicole Gelinas
In Delhi, taxi services are notoriously bad, with fraudsters easily circumventing weak licensing standards. Plus, India’s criminal records — which background checks rely on — are themselves unreliable.

India’s justice system is weak on sexual assault, anyway. The alleged-rapist driver likely should have been in jail already for similar, previous crimes. Delhi’s police now call him a “psychotic criminal” who likely committed unreported rapes before. Another passenger — a US-based woman — said she had a creepy experience with him last month.
citation

With regards to the Chicago case, there are instances of regular taxi drivers assaulting passengers.

I'll agree that price gouging is fool-hardy policy and not good for PR. What hasn't been mentioned here is that Uber's pricing is actually automatic.

Quote from: Ed Krayewski
Uber institute the policy of surge pricing to help best connect drivers to potential passengers during high-demand times, like holidays or sporting events. Uber doesn't hide when surge pricing is in effect and it kicks in automatically as needed. No one "turns it on." During the attack in Sydney, then, it makes sense that surge pricing would go into effect automatically as there was a surge of people who wanted to use the service.

In other words, the price of Uber cabs fluctuate in response to demand. This isn't unique to Uber. For instance, it's cheaper to fly on a Wednesday than it is to fly right before a holiday.

Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 05:55:35 pm »
Ignore

This is a current topic in many places around the world. France is planning to ban Uber next year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/business/international/france-says-it-will-ban-ubers-low-cost-service-in-new-year.html?_r=0

Critics contend that the service represents unfair competition for other taxi operators, and falls afoul of many licensing rules across Europe. That has led cities across Europe, including Brussels and Berlin, to outlaw the budget car service.

“Currently, those who use UberPop are not protected in case of an accident,” Mr. Brandet told the French news channel BFM TV, on Monday. “So not only is it illegal to offer the service, but for the consumer, it’s a real danger.”
Pages: [1] 2 Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Logout