NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 06:16:09 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: NE1: Shared Economy Liberation Act (On Governor's Desk)  (Read 2845 times)
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 10, 2014, 05:59:24 PM »
« edited: December 23, 2014, 04:41:01 PM by SWE, Senator-Elect »

You must be logged in to read this quote.

Sponsor: Representative Dallasfan65

Debate on this bill will last for 72 hours, or until 5:59 PM on Saturday, December 13, unless otherwise modified or extended. The sponsor has 36 hours to advocate for this proposed legislation. If he does not, this bill will be tabled as there is other pending legislation in the queue.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -6.61

« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2014, 11:28:37 PM »

While I like the great Dallasfan, I don't think we should be listing corporations in laws. This is written as if it is clearly catered to corporate interests and not the people.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 5.48, S: -9.65

« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2014, 11:24:02 PM »

While I like the great Dallasfan, I don't think we should be listing corporations in laws. This is written as if it is clearly catered to corporate interests and not the people.

Proposed amendment:

I'm open to further amendments but I'm not sure of an encompassing term that can cover other apps/institutions like AirBnB.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2014, 01:51:29 AM »

Proposed amendment:

I'm open to further amendments but I'm not sure of an encompassing term that can cover other apps/institutions like AirBnB.

This is much better, definitely an improvement. Why are we un-restricting AirBnB? Where was the restrictment to begin with?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: December 13, 2014, 02:30:51 AM »

Obviously support.  a taxi and  drunk driving.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: December 13, 2014, 01:04:00 PM »

Proposed amendment:

This is much better, definitely an improvement. Why are we un-restricting AirBnB? Where was the restrictment to begin with?

New York City.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2014, 05:16:39 PM »

Proposed amendment:

New York City.

Can we phrase the proposed bill in a way that doesn't use corporate names like AirBnB? You did it for the rest.
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2014, 11:27:38 AM »

Tongue

Amendment:

Proposed amendment:

sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 03:22:31 PM »

Proposed Amendment of Dallasfan's Amendment.

Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 04:02:39 PM »

Hmm.  I'm not quite sure of the necessity for this. Certainly we don't want to create a system with no regulation or oversight. While sirnick's amendment dresses that somewhat, I don't think it creates the kind of regulation and safety system that should be in place with these issues
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2014, 11:44:57 AM »

Hmm.  I'm not quite sure of the necessity for this. Certainly we don't want to create a system with no regulation or oversight. While sirnick's amendment dresses that somewhat, I don't think it creates the kind of regulation and safety system that should be in place with these issues

I actually had the same concern. I think the phrasing "all laws" is a bit broad  still
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2014, 12:10:17 PM »

I support the Dallasfan version :/
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2014, 12:54:33 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2014, 01:55:59 PM by Barnes »

I would refer everyone to the events transpiring in Sydney where Uber quadrupled their base rate to $100 for the area surrounding the hostage situation. Could you imagine something happening like that during the events of the bombing of the Boston Marathon, for example? Secondly, I'm sure you have all seen the allegations in India and Chicago of Uber drivers raping passengers; without attempting to act as a court of law here, surely this compromises part of the company's prized confidence in their drivers.

In response to these incidents, I am opposed to the bill.
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2014, 02:03:59 PM »

We have laws against price gouging already.

Also, comparing Atlasia to India is absurd in this context, but at the same time, they should be held to the same standars that we hold taxi companies to.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2014, 03:11:36 PM »

I would refer everyone to the events transpiring in Sydney where Uber quadrupled their base rate to $100 for the area surrounding the hostage situation. Could you imagine something happening like that during the events of the bombing of the Boston Marathon, for example? Secondly, I'm sure you have all seen the allegations in India and Chicago of Uber drivers raping passengers; without attempting to act as a court of law here, surely this compromises part of the company's prized confidence in their drivers.

rape is illegal regardless of whether or not one is using a ridesharing app. Its also not Uber's responsibility to evacuate people during emergencies. Its a small convenience for people who are drunk or might be without their car for a few days.
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: December 15, 2014, 05:11:32 PM »

I'm not trying to ban Uber or services like it, that's not my intention through this, but I think it's nessecary to regulate this developing industry. That's the extent of my concerns.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2014, 06:29:13 PM »

I'm not trying to ban Uber or services like it, that's not my intention through this, but I think it's nessecary to regulate this developing industry. That's the extent of my concerns.

what regulations are necessary?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2014, 08:16:45 PM »

It's a different take on an industry that already exists -- private rides and chauffeurs. The only difference is instead of scheduling the ride via phone, you request it via an app.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2014, 08:44:02 PM »

It's a different take on an industry that already exists -- private rides and chauffeurs. The only difference is instead of scheduling the ride via phone, you request it via an app.

so when I give my friend a ride, what regulations are necessary?
sentinel
sirnick
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2014, 08:49:32 PM »

Do you want your friend to smoke in the car?
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2014, 09:42:16 PM »

Do you want your friend to smoke in the car?

maybe, maybe not. I certainly do NOT want you telling me he cant though.
(The apps dont allow smoking but that should be up to the service or the driver)
Barnes
Roy Barnes 2010
Junior Chimp

« Reply #21 on: December 15, 2014, 09:45:04 PM »

What are we even talking about in here anymore? Nobody gives a hoot what you do in your car, Napoleon. We're taking about for-profit businesses, not a friendly car pool. I'm not trying to be snippy, but let's try to not stray too far from the bill in hand.
Napoleon
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: December 15, 2014, 09:48:13 PM »
« Edited: December 15, 2014, 09:52:06 PM by Napoleon »

What are we even talking about in here anymore? Nobody gives a hoot what you do in your car, Napoleon. We're taking about for-profit businesses, not a friendly car pool. I'm not trying to be snippy, but let's try to not stray too far from the bill in hand.
The drivers are not employees of the company.

I dont know how many times I need to ask: what regulations are being repealed that you consider necessary? You honestly seem unfamiliar with ridesharing...
#CriminalizeSobriety
Dallasfan65
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: December 15, 2014, 10:40:08 PM »

Sorry, fell asleep a bit on this one guys.

I'll accept Sirnick's amendment as friendly.

The rape incident is problematic, but it seems like a jump to conclusions to fault Uber for this. For instance, part of the India problem is that Uber's outfit in India is shoestring at best.

Quote from: Restricted

This may be because India itself has an ineffective criminal justice system. Rape is a serious problem in India in general.

citation

With regards to the Chicago case, there are instances of regular taxi drivers assaulting passengers.

I'll agree that price gouging is fool-hardy policy and not good for PR. What hasn't been mentioned here is that Uber's pricing is actually automatic.

In other words, the price of Uber cabs fluctuate in response to demand. This isn't unique to Uber. For instance, it's cheaper to fly on a Wednesday than it is to fly right before a holiday.
Poirot
YaBB God
Canada

« Reply #24 on: December 16, 2014, 05:55:35 PM »

This is a current topic in many places around the world. France is planning to ban Uber next year.

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/12/16/business/international/france-says-it-will-ban-ubers-low-cost-service-in-new-year.html?_r=0

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies